Enforcer Zer0

Death Star 75159 Modifications

I've never liked the boxy shape to the curves in the set and I was encouraged with the reveal of cloud city and the smooth curved "separations" to replicate the same on the Death Star. I've also incorporated set 75093 in 3 of the files for a better throne room in the set. For the 2 crazy colored files: purple=light bluish gray  yellow=dark bluish gray  lime=black

Crazy colors no throne room mod: https://studio.bricklink.com/v2/build/model.page?idModel=50837

44415865931_4bcbe661b4_z.jpg

Crazy colors throne room mod: https://studio.bricklink.com/v2/build/model.page?idModel=50838

30546903758_15c5ea75e2_z.jpg

No crazy colors no throne room mod: https://studio.bricklink.com/v2/build/model.page?idModel=50839

44415865621_18f4e1f2fd_z.jpg

No crazy colors throne room mod: https://studio.bricklink.com/v2/build/model.page?idModel=50840

29477656147_00bbf6f9ab_z.jpg

Only modded parts no throne room mod: https://studio.bricklink.com/v2/build/model.page?idModel=50841

29477656567_84997bf8cd_z.jpg

Only modded parts throne room mod: https://studio.bricklink.com/v2/build/model.page?idModel=50842

30546903618_7c084686c9_z.jpg

Edited by Enforcer Zer0

The only thing I would like to do to it is add a set of plating. Has anyone ever tried doing that?

9 minutes ago, JarJarBonks said:

The only thing I would like to do to it is add a set of plating. Has anyone ever tried doing that?

In fact people have though I can't remember where I saw it.

Edited by Forresto

Just now, Forresto said:

In fact people have though I can't remember where I saw it.

That is exactly my problem, I remember there being a thread for mods like panels on the outside and such but I figured we should restart here.

8 hours ago, JarJarBonks said:

i'm warning you though it can be very costly to mod it as you do require a death star 2 although you can get the bricks sparately

Death Star 2 can actually be relatively cheap buying bricks individually, if you are willing to swap out rare (expensive) colour bricks for cheaper alternatives.  I looked into this a year or two back and got a price estimate of around £300 from bricklink.  I never ordered it, but I kept my notes on which parts to replace, see below (may no longer be completely accurate)

41855 Brick, Modified 2 x 2 x 2/3 Two Studs, Lip End Black - long out of production.  Change to 47457 DBG

6538b - update to new style axle connector 59443 (Black throughout)

32064 Black Technic, Brick 1 x 2 with Axle Hole
Left as black - but you can get DBG cheaper I think (penny in it)

32034 Blue Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Angled #2 - 180 degrees
Rare colour - change to LBG

52038 Dark Bluish Gray Brick, Modified 2 x 4 - 1 x 4 with 2 Recessed Studs and Thick Side Arches
Rare - switch to 14520

Dish 10x10 rare, but available from Lego.

Mini lever (LBG base and handle), replace with black lever handles.

Pearl Dark grey technic lift arm 1x15 - turn to Dark bluish grey

32192 Red Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Angled #4 - 135 degrees

32555 Technic, Brick 5 x 5 Right Angle (1 x 4 - 1 x 4) Red -> Black

3937 Tan Hinge Brick 1 x 2 Base - Tan is rare.  Any other colour (Black, DBG)

30364 Hinge Brick 1 x 2 Locking with 1 Finger Vertical End Tan
Changed to black (Tan unique to the set virtually)

30365 Hinge Brick 1 x 2 Locking with 2 Fingers Vertical End LBG 
Rare - changed to: DBG (other colours might suit, or possible 1x2 plate with fingers)

Technic 3L Pins to blue
32184, 6632 - red - should these change?

32015 Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Angled #5 - 112.5 degrees
Tan -> Black

Neat! I am currently thinking about getting one to put on display in my room!

But technically all you will need are the outside plating and the connections. Non of internal stuff

When the Death Star re-release first went public, this forum was full of people midnight about the blocky curves and saying that it would have been super easy for Lego to produce smooth curves. However, I have yet to see anyone actually show this apparently simple mod, which would suggest it's not so simple after all!

I'd love to see someone sorry out the blocky walls. I think simply tiling them all would immediately make a big difference but I've just never gotten round to it. 

On 8/22/2018 at 12:17 PM, Richpepperell said:

When the Death Star re-release first went public, this forum was full of people midnight about the blocky curves and saying that it would have been super easy for Lego to produce smooth curves. However, I have yet to see anyone actually show this apparently simple mod, which would suggest it's not so simple after all!

I'd love to see someone sorry out the blocky walls. I think simply tiling them all would immediately make a big difference but I've just never gotten round to it. 

Im going to fire up stud.io and see if I can smooth out the "steps" by using various slopes. I also know there were various recolors of parts in yellow and red and ill see what I can do. I also am planning to incorporate set 75093 Death Star Final Duel as it has more detail than whats in the set (and also because I have those 2 sets :wink:)

Edited by Enforcer Zer0

8 hours ago, Enforcer Zer0 said:

Im going to fire up stud.io and see if I can smooth out the "steps" by using various slopes. I also know there were various recolors of parts in yellow and red and ill see what I can do. I also am planning to incorporate sets 75093 Death Star Final Duel and 75034 Death Star Troopers into the Death Star as they have more detail than whats in the set (and also because I have those 2 sets :wink:)

You could try covering the entire shell with tiles and wedge plates

I put purple slopes over the light bluish gray plates and I think this is the best shape possible:

30357138618_8fa77f5053_o.png

Edited by Enforcer Zer0

21 minutes ago, Enforcer Zer0 said:

I put purple slopes over the light bluish gray plates and I think this is the best shape possible

Nice! That does look a lot better!

All you have to do now is add the plating

8 minutes ago, JarJarBonks said:

Nice! That does look a lot better!

All you have to do now is add the plating

yeah ill try but stud.io doesn't like hinges very much so I don't know if ill be able to do it

8 hours ago, Enforcer Zer0 said:

yeah ill try but stud.io doesn't like hinges very much so I don't know if ill be able to do it

Maybe just design where it connects to the death star then

13 hours ago, JarJarBonks said:

Maybe just design where it connects to the death star then

It is possible.... here is the file if you want to work on making the structure stable because its only held on by 1 axle lol. I don`t want to work on it anymore since its really taking a toll on my MacBook Pro. you could also try closing that ugly gap running down the middle of the two plates with clips.

44242859071_68382c810e.jpg https://studio.bricklink.com/v2/build/model.page?idModel=49803

Edited by Enforcer Zer0

well that certainly looks like a good start! Will keep on working on it! 

Been working hard on this project since i got new PC a few days ago.... rounded out the entire shape of the build and I'm going to start to recolor unnecessarily bright parts throughout the set. The purple, yellow, and lime will be changed once I'm done. ill have a just the modified parts file and an empty floor file. 

44310472582_afbf5887e2_z.jpg

Edited by Enforcer Zer0
btw fixed that 1x2 tile slope, slipped past me

Wow you got a new pc just because you couldn't load a Death Star?

12 hours ago, JarJarBonks said:

Wow you got a new pc just because you couldn't load a Death Star?

Been meaning to get one for a long time and I guess not being able to load the Death Star without my old one overheating was the final nail in the coffin for me.

Just a question, but why are you modding 10188 instead of 75159? I would be modding the more recent version instead.

16 hours ago, JarJarBonks said:

Just a question, but why are you modding 10188 instead of 75159? I would be modding the more recent version instead.

I am modding 75159. That's the one i have. What tells you different? 75159 added a lot of nonsense bright yellow and red parts that weren't in 10188. for example the bushings and the 4 length axle.

Edited by Enforcer Zer0

1 hour ago, Enforcer Zer0 said:

I am modding 75159. That's the one i have. What tells you different? 75159 added a lot of nonsense bright yellow and red parts that weren't in 10188. for example the bushings and the 4 length axle.

Apologies, I must have been confused with the barrels. The TIE fighter also needs some reworking, the wing connections aren't very good

34 minutes ago, JarJarBonks said:

Apologies, I must have been confused with the barrels. The TIE fighter also needs some reworking, the wing connections aren't very good

No problem! I'll have to add that back in, I was planning personally to ditch the holder and the tie fighter completely and put a mini millennium falcon in the hangar bay, but some people like the way the set is stock play features wise; just with recolors and the smooth walls so ill see what i can do. I'm currently busy building set 75093 since noone has made it in LDD, LDraw, or Stud.io (strangely) and retrofit it into the death star.

28 minutes ago, Enforcer Zer0 said:

No problem! I'll have to add that back in, I was planning personally to ditch the holder and the tie fighter completely and put a mini millennium falcon in the hangar bay, but some people like the way the set is stock play features wise; just with recolors and the smooth walls so ill see what i can do. I'm currently busy building set 75093 since noone has made it in LDD, LDraw, or Stud.io (strangely) and retrofit it into the death star.

Interesting! I can't really build anything in LDD as my computer is kinda bad and super laggy :sick:

20 hours ago, JarJarBonks said:

I think I'm done with modifying the set! I looked into the tie fighter and I'm not sure what you mean about the connections as it seems pretty solid to me. I Made 6 different files with different combinations to make it as easy as possible.

Edited by Enforcer Zer0