Sign in to follow this  
Cylo

Brick separators

What do you do with brick separators?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do with brick separators?

• Throw them in a box and never see them again
    • Bin them
    • Feed them to my dog (he loves to eat them)
    • Use them in a build
    • Separate bricks with them

Hi guys!

Over a few years I have bought a large amount of lego sets and most of them came with brick separators. I'm pretty sure you only need one although having several lying around can be helpful whilst building. But what other use are for brick separators are there? (Except for separating bricks of course) Do you just leave them in a box after building a new set to gather dust or do something else with them? I'm interested in seeing what you all do with them.

Well, I have a few around the house for use without having to search for one.  The rest I collect in a baggie and when I have enough, I give them away at shows at which my LUG exhibits.  That way, I'm not overrun with them and they act as little goodwill gestures for younger fans, especially if they like our MOCs :sweet:

1 hour ago, weeble1688 said:

Well, I have a few around the house for use without having to search for one.  The rest I collect in a baggie and when I have enough, I give them away at shows at which my LUG exhibits.  That way, I'm not overrun with them and they act as little goodwill gestures for younger fans, especially if they like our MOCs :sweet:

That sounds like a great idea!

There are not enough options in the poll. I use them, it is always handy to have 5-6 about on a desk so they are quick and easy to find. I also build with them occassionally. Plus I buy them on BL if cheap and put them in kids' party bags when my kids have parties. Occassionally I will drill them too, and add a keyring.

I only wish they came in more colours. If they did other colours then they would instantly be collectable, with people wanting to collect them in every colour and display them.

11 hours ago, JarJarBonks said:

I'm pretty sure you only need one although having several lying around can be helpful whilst building.

Two work better than one when it comes to separating plates.

My husband asked for one to use in his computer repair toolkit. Nice strong plastic edge to reach small spaces, not as damaging as a metal screwdriver tip (and doesn't conduct electricity).

i use them for their intended purpose, but my 4-year-old sometimes pilfers them all and I find them in his Lego box.

2 hours ago, MandyNeko said:

My husband asked for one to use in his computer repair toolkit. Nice strong plastic edge to reach small spaces, not as damaging as a metal screwdriver tip (and doesn't conduct electricity).

i use them for their intended purpose, but my 4-year-old sometimes pilfers them all and I find them in his Lego box.

Interesting. But the edges of it seems to get chipped easily.

Edited by JarJarBonks

This summer was the first time I got a brick separator (it came in a Hobbit set I ordered off Ebay.) Before then, I had been using my fingernails and occasionally a seam ripper from my sewing kit to separate stubborn bricks (would not recommend using a seam ripper, btw. Not safe for kiddos to use and it can damage plastic.)
I don't know how I got along without it, although it isn't a great help when dealing with smooth tiles. Seeing as though they're cheap and really handy, I think buying multiples might be helpful. Sometimes I worry about losing it, as I only have one for the time being.
I haven't tried building with them yet, but they might make a nice dragonfly wing or spider-bot leg.

24 minutes ago, Good and Swordy said:

I don't know how I got along without it, although it isn't a great help when dealing with smooth tiles.

Tiles have a small groove at the bottom, place the handle end of the brick separator into the groove then lever the tile upwards.  The tool was surprisingly well designed.

Aside from using them for their intended purpose, when it’s needed- more so when removing 2x2 tiles...*huh* I give them to the local second hand LEGO store here in town. Not that he has a short supply of them, but if he can get a few bucks out of them...better than sitting in my room. 

On 8/22/2018 at 1:33 PM, MAB said:

There are not enough options in the poll. I use them, it is always handy to have 5-6 about on a desk so they are quick and easy to find. I also build with them occassionally. Plus I buy them on BL if cheap and put them in kids' party bags when my kids have parties. Occassionally I will drill them too, and add a keyring.

I only wish they came in more colours. If they did other colours then they would instantly be collectable, with people wanting to collect them in every colour and display them.

Two work better than one when it comes to separating plates.

They can be found in red and trans-clear and are indeed being picked up by collectors for a pretty penny *oh2*

On 8/25/2018 at 3:15 AM, JarJarBonks said:

Interesting. But the edges of it seems to get chipped easily.

I'd never thought to try using one as a pry tool for electronics, but the narrow edges on dedicated tools for that tend to get beat up pretty fast too.  My biggest concern trying to use a brick separator for that actually would be that it's too hard and rigid a plastic, if something's really stuck you want the plastic tool to fail before the metal/plastic/glass you're trying to pry open.