After almost 2 years of non-Lego-building, it was time to finish a new MOC.

May I present:

Backhoe Loader V3, an improved version of my most popular MOC, the Backhoe V2 from 2012.

Just as the V2, the V3 is fully remote controlled. Now back in 2012, only the M-motor and the XL-motor were available. Now that we have the L-motor and the servo-motor, they can be used to upgrade the model. Also, we now have the perfect tyres for a tractor, thanks to 42054, 42070 and 42081. The Backhoe V2 used the very rare and expensive Power-puller tyres, so now it's much easier and cheaper to get the correct tyres.

The blue colour was chosen to distinguish between my previour backhoe loaders (which were all yellow). Of course, it possible to build this model in yellow instead.
A lot of effort went in preventing the use of rare parts. 2 rare parts I was unable to extract were the 2 technic panels on the sides of the front. 

Remote Controlled Functions:
1. Driving (2x L-Motor)
2. Return-to-centre steering (Servo-motor)
3. Gearbox to select between Loader or backhoe operation (M-motor)
4. Loader (L-motor)
5. Loader-bucket (L-Motor)
6. Backhoe boom (L-motor)
7, Backhoe stick (M-motor)
8. Backhoe bucket (M-motor)
9. Backhoe rotation over 180 degrees (L-motor)
10. Outriggers (M-motor)

Non-motorized functions:
1. Ready for PF-lights
2. pendular front-axle
3. Hood open/closed

The model can be powered from the rechargeable Power Functions battery (8878), or the AAA-battery box (88000) and 2 SBricks allowing the model to be controlled with a smartphone or tablet (iOS & Android). 

Improvements over the Backhoe V2:
1. Loader up/down works faster, thanks to the L-Motor
2. Front bucket works faster thanks to the L-motor
3. Backhoe up/down works faster, again thanks to the L-motor
4. Motor for the backhoe bucket is now in the boom instead of the stick, improving the balance of the backhoe
5. Rear wheels are more realistic and much easier to find
6. Nice blue colour for a change
7. Uses the big bucket of the 42030, which iscales better to the whole model

As with most of my MOC's, full building instructions are available. You can find them here

IMG_20180805_112414.png

IMG_20180805_112616.png

IMG_20180805_112745.png

IMG_20180805_112904.png

Great to see you back! Most of the times I prefer manual to powered models, but your model is a delight of powered functions. The digging is so smooth! At first I did not realise that you have build in 9 motors. Impressive. Thanks for making the instructions! I will definitively buy them ...

Wow! Just bought a few of the pieces yesterday that I still needed to complete V2 (again) in yellow. Especially the panels that encase the battery box are not really cheap.

If possible I would like to build this one in yellow-black instead of blue-black. At first glance it seems doable.

Edit: looks like yellow is achievable, just bought the build instructions. Quality of Backboe V2 BI and other MOCs of you were excellent, can’t wait to see these!

Edited by emielroumen

Good to see you back buddy and it's a long time ago i have seen you. the upgrade backhoe is again a piece of art of pure technic.:wub::thumbup:

Awesome!  I have been waiting for a improved backhoe for awhile to add to my construction collection.  My nieces and nephews will love this along side the ultimate 8043 for digging.

But... I've almost finished to collect parts for the v2 loader. Start from the beginning? :laugh::cry_sad:

I remember the V2 back then, wondering "how on earth can one put all these motors and functions into such compact space..."

Jurgen, it´s good to know you´re still alive and back in business :thumbup:! Would you like to tell why you were away from building for some time?

18 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

Please tell me that the bucket can carry load when the arms are down...

I'd like to answer your question, but I don't understand what you mean. Both buckets are fully functional.

8 hours ago, emielroumen said:

It looks like the power puller wheels would fit, correct? I reinforced them because of the axle load in V2 with either 92912 or 54120, can’t recall.

The model is just as big as V2, so Power-puller wheels should fit, but I haven't tried yet

2 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

I remember the V2 back then, wondering "how on earth can one put all these motors and functions into such compact space..."

Jurgen, it´s good to know you´re still alive and back in business :thumbup:! Would you like to tell why you were away from building for some time?

I built my own analog modular synthesizer, which was quite time-consuming

4 hours ago, Aleh said:

But... I've almost finished to collect parts for the v2 loader. Start from the beginning? :laugh::cry_sad:

No, you could build the V3 in yellow and use your pieces, or build the V2. It's still available.

Edited by Jurgen Krooshoop

I would like to see what is the position of the bucket when all the 4 linear actuators are contrated, thank you in advance. I always wanted to do my backhoe but I feel that the MOC is still too complex for the current Lego inventory and for my style of build, only Lego, very strong and with gearbox instead of free motors. My last chance will have to be a Volvo BM but I learn with each backhoe I see.

Is there any discount for buyers of V2 instructions? :)

2 hours ago, Jurgen Krooshoop said:

The model is just as big as V2, so Power-puller wheels should fit, but I haven't tried yet

Thanks for the answer. I might source 4 of the Claas tires from Bricklink anyway, but will give V3 a shot with the PP tires first :). V2 was slightly leaning backwards with the tires and I therefore lowered the back axle by one hole to make it look right. It would be a major change for V3, at least that’s what it looks like when I go through the instructions. Anyway, can wait to sort the parts (and tear down 2 sets) to get started!

I've just started to build this MOC after taking apart my versions of @Jurgen KrooshoopTelehandler and @D3K Swingloader for parts.
While I was planning to have it in yellow-black, I've ordered all missing blue parts earlier this week.
The model so far is not color accurate, but since most of the internal structure will be hidden from plain view when done.

800x600.jpg

Claas tires did arrive earlier, although I also had to order grey rims.

I just couldn't wait for the blue parts so I continued the build in yellow-black. With only a few minor modifications it is going according to plan.
Added the wheels for the picture only :)
800x405.jpg

That's a nice backhoe. I'm also amazed that you got full functionality out of under 2000 parts, and it still looks good. It makes me seriously wonder where all the extra parts go in official sets....

@Jurgen Krooshoop I finished this several days ago and overall I am very happy with the looks and functions.  Having not built any of your previous backhoe loaders, I can only give my feedback on this one.

Some pictures of yellow version with my version of wheels.

1280x1050.jpg

1280x601.jpg

1280x854.jpg

My biggest problem with your model is the geometry of the front loader.  As @jorgeopesi was questioning the position of the bucket when the linear actuator are contracted, it is horizontal and it can't rotate upwards.  When you have a load, you can only lift the entire loader bucket to keep the contents in the bucket.  The 42030 allows the bucket rotate upwards a bit.

I also find the drive to be too fast and a little difficult to control.  It is very easy to pop wheelies.  The outriggers can lift the model up but doesn't add stability.  It would be nice if the outriggers swung out like a real backhoe.

Since your video didn't include the loader in action, I have done a short video showing it in action and its inability to rotate loader bucket upwards.

Overall, I am very happy with the results, but I believe it would be amazing if the loader bucket could rotate upwards.

Edited by technic_addict