WhiteFang

PRESS RELEASE for LEGO 75222 - Betrayal at Cloud City Announcement

After several more viewings of the official images (and using a pc monitor rather than a mobile screen) the set has grown on me. 

Still not £300 worth day 1 purchase to me, but would pick up at some point (x2 points weekend or may 4th promo maybe).

I'm contemplating using the 10188 death star top half as an outer shell and designing something myself in the mean time using the official model as inspiration.

23 minutes ago, krisandkris12 said:

Did she like it as in 'this is the set I want the most' or rather as in 'this is nice, I wouldn't mind having it'? :) I am sure many kids will like it, that's for sure. It's big and there is a lot to play with.

Well, shes the kind of person (for now) that she wants 20 % of the store, the most. Which I in terms of presents think is good, because it gives me more choices.

im just statying that AFOLs shouldnt state that this design is a foolish decision by lego and then we forget it was the same story with Assault on Hoth and the DS, so with a very high probability, lego will make their dough

On 8/26/2018 at 8:15 AM, TwoSolitudes said:

My guess is that this will not be a hard kit to pickup. It's a playset aimed at kids, but the kids it's aimed at will not have any real connection to the scene. You will get a few collectors interested, but nowhere near the MF level. It just doesn't look 'good'. If they had done a detailed display micro-level type thing it would have hit a much much larger audience of adult collectors. Not opposed to playsets, but simply from a marketing view, I really don't understand what they were thinking with this particular one.

Fans have been begging for a Cloud City remake for years, but not once have I ever seen anyone ask for a micro-scale replica. The endless posts in the wishlist thread have always been motivated by two things - updated versions of the Bespin minifigures (Luke, Leia, Lando etc) or a playset done in a similar style to the Death Star. So when you ask what they were thinking with this set - pretty much what the "fans" were asking for the last decade. :sceptic:

12 hours ago, Sneakguest said:

And I showed it to my daughter the day it came out and she really likes it. Adults are different and kids are different. I just thinks its hell to early for people here to state that this set will flop when the basically have nothing else than their own opinion and a few other peoples, to base it on.

I showed the pics to my children as well. They love it. They just don't care about the exact rounded shape and the quality of the rooms, as far as there is some reasonable link with the actual scenes. They are quite interested in the minifigs, though. And more exigent on that side. 

Upon initial viewing, my immediate reaction after clicking the link to the first image was huh, that's kinda ugly....

After a while spent zooming in to images, however, this one is growing on me.  Okay, it's not the prettiest item out of Billund, but one must admit the bar has been set QUITE high as of late *cough* $800 dollar MF *cough*  For my part, I don't expect every single MB/UCS set to knock my socks off - different approach, different mission, etc...  I'll buy one, I look forward to the build.  I love a cloud car, Slave I looks pretty neat, I really like the dark red of the interrogation room - it's packed with every scene!

Oh, and this...

2 hours ago, wesker said:

Fans have been begging for a Cloud City remake for years, but not once have I ever seen anyone ask for a micro-scale replica. The endless posts in the wishlist thread have always been motivated by two things - updated versions of the Bespin minifigures (Luke, Leia, Lando etc) or a playset done in a similar style to the Death Star. So when you ask what they were thinking with this set - pretty much what the "fans" were asking for the last decade. :sceptic:

...who are we kidding?  This'll go EOL, skyrocket in value and become one of the most coveted sets for the next 1.5 decades.

I quite like it! However, the US price is far too high in my opinion. They either should have lowered the price by $60-75 or they should have included some removable panels to go over top. This addition would have made it worth the price in my opinion, but overall I'm still pretty happy with the set in general(besides the inclusion of only one ugnaught).

Thank you very much for the press release, WhiteFang! :classic:

For sure this set isn't such a fault like Assault on Hoth. Nevertheless I must say that I've got really mixed feelings about this set: :sceptic:

On the one hand I'm glad that TLG offers us a new, much bigger and more detailed version with updated and even some completely new minifigs and that they did include much more rooms. :thumbup:

On the other hand the price is really too much for this set (like with Assault on Hoth again hundred Euros too much), the carbon freezing chamber is too small, the battle scene Luke vs. Vader is (apart from the "bridge") only indicated and the two Junior sized vehicles are useless and the bricks should better been used for a bigger location. But the most I dislike is that many rooms can only be looked into and played inside by the top of the set (and not by the side like with nearly all rooms in the DS). :thumbdown:

Consequently I do need to read or watch a good review in order to chose whether the set is really good and worth buying or not.

11 minutes ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Consequently I do need to read or watch a good review in order to chose whether the set is really good and worth buying or not.

Yeah, I feel like it's difficult to evaluate the set based on the pictures, because you can barely see what most of the rooms even look like. I'm really looking forward to a full review with detailed pictures from each angle, or perhaps from looking carefully at the instructions. 

When can we expect a full review and/or instructions to be available?

Another thought: I really hope the Luke fig used for the photoshoot has some kind of misprint on the torso.

The lines on the chest pockets are stangely thin compared to the ones on the legs and look quite grainy. The printing is just not that crisp. Weird though, because it only affects the pockets.

Edited by bountybossk

7 hours ago, bountybossk said:

Another thought: I really hope the Luke fig used for the photoshoot has some kind of misprint on the torso.

The lines on the chest pockets are stangely thin compared to the ones on the legs and look quite grainy. The printing is just not that crisp. Weird though, because it only affects the pockets.

i saw it too. It looks very messy. And i really had high hopes for that outfit since that was my favorite Luke from Kenner.

I like the figures, both the number and features, but the set overall leaves me a bit underwhelmed.  The price in Australia is $499.99 and that seems a bit steep for what you get

19 hours ago, Griffin Kidwell said:

I love it! The only thing I wish it had was the antenna on the bottom Luke hangs on to.....Oh well, it may still have it as we haven't seen any bottom photos yet. I did get confirmation from someone at LEGO that there is a sort of undercarriage-scaffolding thing that holds the whole thing off of the ground.

Yes, you can see a few bits underneath from one of the stock photos. The old Cloud City 10123 had little 'stilts' like that. It helps maintain the illusion that the city floats in the sky. I am happy with the absence of a lower fin holding up the structure - I don't want it to go flipping off the table when placing minifigs inside.

Have we discussed handles yet? Because I'm wondering if the Technic pieces inside the four 'spokes' along the top of the walls are in some way able to 'pop out' so you can carry the city around with ease. Otherwise I guess we'll have to scoop up the whole platform from the bottom. 

How soon until they drop the official Lego Designer Video? Not much more we can squeeze out of these photos for analysis. 

Not the displayable model I hoped for, but it is a kids toy at the end of the day, and is kinda what you’d expect a playset to be. Would’ve loved it to have resembled the big, circular, covered Lego Ideas MOC, but that would’ve put it way past any Christmas list affordability. Maybe a future UCS Cloud City will be more in line with that to appease the AFOL’s!? ??

Minifigures are a mixed bag. Han is perfect. Luke fantastic. Lando decent. I like the Ugnaught.

Leia’s hair is disappointing - hopefully Lego’s holding back the mould for a pending Depa Billaba exclusive!?!

Would’ve loved some noticeable development on Lobot’s headpiece.

Pleased to have Cloud Car Pilot but seriously lacking in detail imo - some light yellow boots and shoulder printing would’ve looked excellent.

Bespin guards a disappointment - was expecting red printing on the cuffs, and hoping for some dual-moulds, especially now the Boomerang legs are in production.

Contrary to my expectations the Slave I is fantastic - one of the main things promoting a purchase tbh. Cloud Car’s good but may have been better in dark orange.

Both vehicles would’ve been better as stand alone system sets, with micro versions in this set imo.

Best: Han’s legs

Worst: Landing platform

Overall: Underwhelming

Will possibly buy if/when discounted and use as base to modify.

1 minute ago, RODDY said:

Do you guys think this set will sell out quickly?

Probably not. It might go on backorder for a short period, but my guess is that it will be readily available for the next 1.5 years (or more).

I think this set will sell better than Assault on Hoth did at the beginning. Despite the errors of both sets, there are people to who those sets give them a lot of value, specially those who missed previous versions of the sets. As with CC there were few previous set versions, it will appeal to more people. 

However Assault on Hoth didn't sell very well overall, and I don't think this one will sell that well neither, not because of its own collection of design errors, but due to the high price point (€100 more than Assault on Hoth).

If it were €100 less, I would think different. But for that price, I would expect a better polished set. So I guess a lot of potential buyers will wait until discounts, like with Assault on Hoth, although not for the same reasons, of course.

When I heard the rumors I felt like I was going to be spending another truckload of money on a display piece, but in the end I realized it was just another playset, having not much display value. I don't think I will get it but it does have a great range of minis

I'm really looking forward to this.  I don't like the price point either, to me it's 50-100 USD too high, but I blame Disney and their license fees and their logo on the box for that more than anything.  Fortunately I have a healthy VIP points balance and can bring it down to an acceptable level...

I've had the Death Star set for some time, and have enjoyed adding to it here or there and adding minifigures to the vignettes as they become available (although I did miss out on Admiral Yularen, I should track that guy down).  So modifying and enhancing and adding improvements to an already impressive display piece, that's been a bit of fun for me.  I think I'll do the same with this.

I think I wish it had one more level, particularly in the carbonite freezing area - there's supposed to be platforms and pits below and all sorts of stuff, as well as a service tube connecting it to the location for the Luke v Vader final confrontation.

Anyway I look at this and I'm kind of inspired on how to add to it.  It should be fun.

IGN has some great new angles to see in this review video. It looks a lot more like Cloud City when you see in on a flat angle than the views we've seen so far from the official photos.

I love the new Slave 1 design and the play feature with the carbonite piece, but it makes the bottom of the ship look ugly.

2 hours ago, darththeling said:

IGN has some great new angles to see in this review video. It looks a lot more like Cloud City when you see in on a flat angle than the views we've seen so far from the official photos.

That’s something I’ve noticed as well, it looks a lot better straight on rather than the overhead shots we’ve been getting. I mean ideally a set should look recognisable from any angle but nonetheless it’s an improvement. 

I also like fact the you can remove the Carbonite Chamber and Landing Pad, the freezing chamber definitely needed its own section so that’s going to make modding the set a lot easier. Removing the chamber also helps isolate the walkway, which again is what it needed.