WhiteFang

PRESS RELEASE for LEGO 75222 - Betrayal at Cloud City Announcement

42369288530_6c9e6c8a74_k_d.jpg

75222 Betrayal at Cloud City™

Ages 14+.  2,812 pieces

US $349.99 CA $399.99 DE 349.99€ UK £299.99 – FR 349.99€ DK 2999DK

*Euro pricing varies by country.  Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.

Visit Bespin’s amazing metropolis in the sky—Cloud City!

More hi-res images is available in this album for viewing.

Relive a world of unforgettable moments from Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back or add your own fun twists to the story with this LEGO® Star Wars 75222 Betrayal at Cloud City set. The amazingly detailed set is divided into 4 sections, each depicting scenes from the classic movie. There’s a landing platform complete with Boba Fett’s Slave I ship, a detailed promenade, a dining room with seating for 5 minifigures, a garbage processing room with incinerator, and a sensor balcony for epic Luke vs. Vader Lightsaber duels. There’s also a carbon freeze chamber with a function to ‘freeze’ Han in carbonite, an interrogation chamber and prison cell, a secondary landing platform for the Twin-Pod Cloud Car, and so much more. Add an astonishing 18 LEGO minifigures plus 2 droids to the mix, and you have a set that Star Wars and LEGO fans of any age would be proud to add to their collection.

• Includes 18 minifigures: Han Solo, Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker in Bespin outfits, Chewbacca, C-3PO, Lando Calrissian, Lobot, 2 Cloud City Guards, 2 Cloud Car Pilots, Leia and Han in Hoth outfits, Darth Vader, Boba Fett, 2 Stormtroopers and an Ugnaught, plus R2-D2 and an IG-88 droid.

• Section 1 features a landing platform with a sliding entrance door and Boba Fett’s Slave I ship with an opening minifigure cockpit, movable wings and space underneath to store the Han in carbonite element.

• Section 2 features a dining room with a table, seats for 5 minifigures and a decorative Cloud City micro build; lounge with a transparent sculpture and 2 chairs; garbage processing room with an incinerator, conveyor belt and a deactivated IG-class droid; and a promenade with tree sculpture, mural relief and opening doorways leading to other parts of the model.

• Section 3 features a sensor balcony with railing and swing-out function, plus a maintenance cabin with opening round window for epic Lightsaber duels, plus a carbon freeze chamber with lever-activated ‘freeze’ function.

• Section 4 features a dark-red corridor leading to the interrogation chamber with a turning interrogation chair, plus a prison cell, hangar with a secret trapdoor and tool & weapon rack, and space for the Twin-Pod Cloud Car with opening minifigure cockpits and 2 stud shooters.

• New minifigure details include Leia’s red dress, Han’s Corellian blood stripe, Luke’s dark-tan Dagobah outfit, the Ugnaught’s head decoration and the cloud car pilots.

• Weapons include Han’s blaster pistol, Chewbacca’s bowcaster, Luke’s Lightsaber, Vader’s Lightsaber, Boba Fett’s blaster rifle, IG-88’s blaster rifle, 5 blaster pistols and 4 blasters.

• Accessory elements include a wrench, handcuffs and Lobot’s cybernetic band.

• Stage air-to-air battles between Boba Fett’s Slave I and the Twin-Pod Cloud Car.

• Pull the carbon freeze chamber lever to pretend freeze Han in carbonite!

• Relive unforgettable scenes from the classic Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back movie.

• This amazing set is part of the LEGO® Star Wars Master Builder Series.

• Cloud City measures over 6” (16cm) high, 22” (58cm) wide and 22” (56cm) deep.

• Slave I measures over 4” (11cm) high, 7” (19cm) long and 7” (18cm) wide.

44177116111_d7e6e9dac1_k_d.jpg

Darn. I would much more have hoped for an UCS-style outer "shell" of Cloud City, and openable hatches with playset-features. But I guess us AFOLs aren't the target audience here. :)

It looks perfect to me. Exactly what I would've hoped for with a Cloud City playset done in the style of the Death Star. More-so actually as I wasn't expecting to see every single room from the movie included in some form.

Honestly the only disappointments I have are the lack of the molds (Bespin braids, Lobot headgear, Carbonite block) and getting Hoth Leia instead of a proper Bespin Escape version. But aside from those few nitpicks this set is a home run for me.

Nice. Really like the play set oriented thing: you get a great amount of rooms. £299.99, though, for less than 3k pieces? In comparison to Hogwarts at £349 for 6,000, does seem a tad overpriced. 

Ooff...way too overpriced for what they’ve brought to the table. Star Wars has been underwhelming this year for sure

Easy pass for me. Looks simplistic, unfinished and not up to the standards we have gotten used to for newer sets. Kinda happy this is not amazing considering the spending spree I have been on in the last couple of years. The price is also way off.

I like the set, I just wish the price/piece ratio were more acceptable. As it is I can't justify paying that much extra per piece just for the figs.

I like pretty much everything about the set.  Great minifigs.  Biggest problem I have is the large space given to the interrogation area.  Would rather of had more fighting space for Luke and Vader.  Maybe all the parts that make the Cloud City car are available in orange, if so I'll just convert it that way.

1 minute ago, MKJoshA said:

I like the set, I just wish the price/piece ratio were more acceptable. As it is I can't justify paying that much extra per piece just for the figs.

I faced the same problem with the death star set.

Tarkin cost me twenty on Bricklink however a week later I stumbled upon a seller selling just the torso for less then five bucks. So bits and pieces will show up fairly cheap if you keep an eye out.

I for one just want Han's legs. 

39 minutes ago, DarthKriegor said:

I absolutely love it, though maybe the cloud car should've been a more orange-y colour? I don't know, but its much nicer than the old one.

LEGO needs to introduce an opaque version of their transparent reddish orange color. That would be a great match for the cloud car.

As for the set, I’m quite disappointed. I was hoping for something akin to the Kenner playset. I was afraid they’d go the Death Star route, though. I think they’ve made it worse. 

The Death Star look organized in its structure, but this looks extremely disjointed. The “I am your father” and carbonite scenes look incredibly crammed together. Yet, a full corner is dedicated to a landing pad. The other rooms look nice, just very incomplete from top view.

The price is what really gets me. If this was only, say $200, it wouldn’t be such a disappointment. But when competing D2C sets like the Ninjago City line offer so much more, for less, it makes this set look extremely lacking

Edited by Cocoa

Looks like a fun set, great minifigs and has captured all the iconic scenes. Unfortunately it doesn’t have enough display appeal for me personally but it’s exactly what I expected from the leaked info. If only it weren’t $500 Australian dollars! For comparison, Hogwarts Castle is over 6000 pieces and costs $650. SW fans are getting seriously gouged. 

4 minutes ago, Markalus said:

Looks like a fun set, great minifigs and has captured all the iconic scenes. Unfortunately it doesn’t have enough display appeal for me personally but it’s exactly what I expected from the leaked info. If only it weren’t $500 Australian dollars! For comparison, Hogwarts Castle is over 6000 pieces and costs $650. SW fans are getting seriously gouged. 

While I do feel Hogwarts is a much better deal, it's not really fair to compare the piece counts since BACC has a ton of minifigs and large pieces while Hogwarts has 4 minifigs anda ton of small pieces.

First feeling, what a MESS... My wallet will be happy again. :tongue:

And the "frozen in carbonite" Han is using the old hair piece.... *oh2*

Edited by Cyberfounder

Perfect. Been waiting for this for nearly 2 decades, so forgive me if price seems irrelevant (runs off to sell several Transformers to pay for this monster!!)  It has a whole bunch of things I wanted and some things I never knew I wanted. Quite simply put I am in disbelief because part of me wondered if TLG had something this clever in them, turns out they did. I say this with Assault on Hoth in mind. They had the capacity to over-disappoint. Looks like they managed to squeeze in every room? 

The design and layout is similar to a Cloud City moc by a builder named iliad2099, His build incorporates a layout so similar to this... one quadrant for the landing platform, one for the carbonite chamber. There is no underside... and I am sure that gives the build some stability.

4 minutes ago, Eaglefan344 said:

While I do feel Hogwarts is a much better deal, it's not really fair to compare the piece counts since BACC has a ton of minifigs and large pieces while Hogwarts has 4 minifigs anda ton of small pieces.

True. Maybe a better comparison is Jang’s arbitrary measure of “volume of stuff”.  

1 minute ago, Eaglefan344 said:

A recent brickset review stated that a better metric was price per kg rather than price per piece... So I wonder what this set weighs.

This set looks good, it has all the key scenes.  One detail that's not visible on most of the photographs, the model seems to stand on "feet" about 2 or 3 bricks high.  This is either a nod to the various structures on the underside of Cloud City that Luke ended up clinging to, or a way of making the model appear to float (or both). I think if I could see the model in person, or on a video review, then I'd dial my reaction up to a "fantastic".

Slave 1 is sweet, and it is nice to get an updated cloud car.  Both of these could have been great little sets in their own right.

I only have two criticisms.  Firstly, the designers tried to make the model a circular playset like the Death Star, but with two of the quadrants being oddly shaped it doesn't really work for me.  I think the landing platform should have been made a quarter circle to match the rest of the playset.

Secondly... how many Luke minifigures are going to get broken by kids repeatedly trying to slice his hand off? :laugh:

I wonder how many young kids desire for cloud city based playset enough to make their parents or grandparents pull $350 for it. Or how many currently teen lego fans that still enjoy minifig play and have enough savings...? Correct me if I am wrong but most people that adore cloud city scenes would be AFOLs by now? And eventhough I am sure many adults will still like this set as is, I have a strong feeling that something more visually appealing would be much better. Because this looks just ugly... On the box art, it looks like flying piece of broken structure that was supposed to be on the ground. Yes, it may have nice rooms, nice figures or whatever, but it just doesn't look like anything close to cloud city on display! The first thing I see when I look at the box art is the exposed unsightly back side of tan corner panel piece, and the rest of the thing is built in similar fashion. The only way to enjoy it visually is to be a minifig, which can be approximated by actually playing with the minifig. But then it's back to my question - do the target customer group really want to do that?

Personally, as mentioned above, I would much rather have a display model with just a few interior rooms.

I like it! It obviously takes inspiration from the old Death Star, but this feels more polished in a way. It lacks unnecessary rooms like the weird “droid torture room”. The main downside of the set for me is how hard it will be to display it. A flaw made evident by the horrendous looking box. It’s kind of a shame that Leia and Chewie/C-3PO lack new molds, but it’s not the end of the world. The other figures are good, and the little vehicle builds are fantastic! I’m also ecstatic that LEGO finally made proper legs for Han! Hopefully they leak into the smaller sets. Overall I think it’s a good set, but $350 is pretty steep.

Considering how a difficulty job it is to make a cloud city set from scraps I think this is a very well done set. I like what I see but the volume to price you get seems...underwhelming

1 hour ago,  Alegrispa said: 

I wouldn't have a problem with them if the set wasn't so unnessesarily big and expensive. Hoth at least didn't have any must-have figures.

Isn't a must have figures pretty subjectively? Don't think that lego can know what different people think is a must have figure if it wouldn't be the central ones like if it was the first Darth Vader ever or the first Luke, which is of course not the case. Me for once, not until recently did I want the same character just if they just had different clothes. 

1 hour ago,  Balrogofmorgoth said: 

I really don’t understand why so many people are complaining about this. I even saw someone say the exclusive figures are a slap in the face. Come on people. Why would there not be exclusive figures in this set??? Sets like this are the exact kind of set that should come with a bunch of exclusive figures! The set looks fantastic, it’s exactly what everyone has been asking for forever, literally what is there to complain about? It has all the major scenes and all the characters, even different versions of some. This set really lacks nothing

Some people here only want display sets and don't ask me why they expected something else, because even without any leaked pictures, that it would be something similar to this was almost obvious, anything else would be delusional

Easy pass for me especially given the ridiculous price point (Chiron is 3600 pieces for the same price). Granted probably shouldn't compare directly to a technic set, but still.
Overall looks clunky and unfinished, which at $350 is rather unforgivable. 

15 minutes ago, krisandkris12 said:

I wonder how many young kids desire for cloud city based playset enough to make their parents or grandparents pull $350 for it. Or how many currently teen lego fans that still enjoy minifig play and have enough savings...? Correct me if I am wrong but most people that adore cloud city scenes would be AFOLs by now? And eventhough I am sure many adults will still like this set as is, I have a strong feeling that something more visually appealing would be much better. Because this looks just ugly... On the box art, it looks like flying piece of broken structure that was supposed to be on the ground. Yes, it may have nice rooms, nice figures or whatever, but it just doesn't look like anything close to cloud city on display! The first thing I see when I look at the box art is the exposed unsightly back side of tan corner panel piece, and the rest of the thing is built in similar fashion. The only way to enjoy it visually is to be a minifig, which can be approximated by actually playing with the minifig. But then it's back to my question - do the target customer group really want to do that?

Personally, as mentioned above, I would much rather have a display model with just a few interior rooms.

Well, not mine when I was a kid, that much I can tell, but still enough parents worldwide to continue to make 300 euro + playlets apparently. 

Looks pretty good, wish they invested more parts into the actual city than have a Slave 1 and Cloud Car.