I guess you could say I couldn't make up my mind about the kind of Unimog I wanted to make next. So I decided to make a platform that would support multiple versions.

44155494551_279b7991b1_b.jpg

Features:

• Interchangeable platform
  • Long and short wheelbase options
  • Standard and Doka cabs, removable
  • Manual control
  • PF control (drop in)
  • Front and rear suspension
  • Steering
  • 4x4 with I-4 fake motor
  • Opening doors and hood
  • Tipper bed options

Feel free to check out thirdwigg.com to learn more about the build.

Manual SWB with tipper bed.

43249745965_aa17b1efc8_c.jpg

Manual LWB Doka with tipper bed.

29218085747_acff36b726_c.jpg

Power Functions (XL drive, Servo steering) LWB with cover.

44107500242_dce4e324e6_c.jpg

Manual LWB with canvas bed showing the suspension travel.

43249744805_f87ee1a6f9_c.jpg

You can find more pictures on my flickr. I have been adding instructions for the various versions here, and more will be added over the coming weeks. Someday I'll make a camper, because, everyone needs a camper.

This was a fun project, and I loved the way it turned out. I have the LWB on my desk right now, and I keep getting distracted from work. I hope to add additional options for the system at some point, and will take other suggestions for versions to add.

Hope you enjoy.

Edited by Thirdwigg

Very nice indeed! It all looks simple yet complicated at the same time! Not to mention the diversity and options are great, well done :thumbup:

8 minutes ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Especially like the idea for raising the tipper bed, that's genius! :thumbup:

Thanks, I have been building long enough that I can now recycle some good ideas.

I have a weak spot for Unimogs, so I always follow your creations with much interest. I particularly like the size and they have simple clear lines, just like the original Unimogs. Thanks for the instructions! Much appreciated...

Very nice looking Mog, but I can not see portal axes ? and this lines have torque tubes and not links. (Only Panhard rod)

I have also a weak spot for Unimogs and you can build endless variations of it. i love your modular design and hope you try someday a firefight MOG.

At my cameback from my darkage 7 years ago i started building Unimogs moc's and the firetruck i loved the most.

6938019449_18bd8b8c27_b.jpg123_2333 1 by VFracingteam, on Flickr

That's cool! I like the way you've decided to build it modular. Do you have any pictures showing differences between two wheelbase versions?

@Thirdwigg Those Unimogs are AWESOME, love the whole concept and how well You captured the shapes. Fine details are the cherry on the cake. :wub:

I can't say what I most fan of.

I love the multi use of a common plateform. superb job. So clean!

I love your 3 ways tipper bed. No. I am really jalous of it ;)

I like the overall clean design. pure technic spirit.

I appreciate the motorized version wich is optional, so manual stuff that I like so much are well present and spot on.

This model could seem 'gentle but for people who really now how hard the job behind is is, it is  absolutely stunning.

BTW, we both come to appreciate intermediary scales. At least it seems so. At this reduced scale I know how hard it can be and I give you friendly congrats therefore.

Kudos for that all.

Steph.

All, thanks for your kind words. I have enjoyed this project, and I am happy others have enjoyed it too.

@I_Igor it was conscious decision not to do the portal axle or torque tubes as it would increase the size of the MOC. I was not pleased with the drivetrain of the U90 that I made, so those were the first features to go.

@Doomer Tires are Fischertechnik, and you can find them here or talk to @rm8 .

@Edwin Korstanje I am always happy to hear others have a soft spot for Mogs. Seeing your Mog makes me think I need a fire truck body and cab for this MOC. I'll add that to my list.

@zux there are 4 studs between the SWB and LWB versions. These  pictures might help the best. All versions are still built, so if you need something else, let me know.

@agrof It's the details that are fun for me. Glad you like it.

@steph77 Thanks again for your support and I am happy you find the design "absolutely stunning." Thanks. I have been drawn to the common platform on some of my recent builds, as it offers more playability, and can grow with ideas from the community. Getting all the attachment points consistent can be enough to kill a project, but the final design is worth it.

Feel free to use the tipper bed as it works very well. It's a little long, which caused some problems in the SWB version.

Correct, I think our styles are similar as find many functions (suspension, steering, control, design) work cleanest at this scale: too big and functions get gummy, and too small functions go away. I'll keep building at this scale and I hope you do to.

1 hour ago, Thirdwigg said:

I'll keep building at this scale and I hope you do to.

Sure ;)

@Thirdwigg perhaps 'my' idea for portal axles (on my Unimog) could be useful to you which you can see here

With 68.8 X 24 tires overall width is some 18 studs, but I do not know how wide is fisherman tire and I do not know which scale is your Mog; it looks to me that your Mog is 1:16.5 or something like that (if I divide biggest tractor tire on Unimog U5023 is 495/70r24 that has overall diameter 1313mm to get scale; scale is 1:16.5).

Sorry for long Post.

I agree Unimog is like addiction ?

Very clever, functional and nice looking job! I really like the modular concept. I think I will "stole" your idea of the 3-way tipping body :excited:

What scale is the model?

Edited by mpj
question added

@I_Igor the Fischertechnik tires ae 80mm in diameter, so they are a little large for the scale. This was intentional. I have used the 8z to 8z portal axles in the past, and I was not willing to do that for the front in this MOC as it would require an increase in scale, and thus would reduce the overall look of the tires. I wanted them to look imposing.

@mpj the scale is about 1:17.5.

@sirslayer thanks, I thought about DBG for the frame, but I settled on black as it was more menacing.

@mandylion7 Thanks. I don't do LEGO Ideas, but others are welcome to make their own versions as they see fit.

4 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

@I_Igor the Fischertechnik tires ae 80mm in diameter, so they are a little large for the scale. This was intentional. I have used the 8z to 8z portal axles in the past, and I was not willing to do that for the front in this MOC as it would require an increase in scale, and thus would reduce the overall look of the tires. I wanted them to look imposing.

@mpj the scale is about 1:17.5.

@sirslayer thanks, I thought about DBG for the frame, but I settled on black as it was more menacing.

@mandylion7

I suppose "my" idea for portal axle is not useful... Thanks for info about tires it would be good with current CLAAS tire. But I still like double cab version...

Reminds of this

mqdefault.jpg

2 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Nice to here...I'm working on my Unimog because Arocs type of steering is not satisfying enough, but problem is that my Unimog is very heavy at the front, so I have to think of something...?

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

Nice to here...I'm working on my Unimog because Arocs type of steering is not satisfying enough, but problem is that my Unimog is very heavy at the front, so I have to think of something...?

Like @nicjasno‘s modified Unimog front axle?

10 minutes ago, emielroumen said:

Like @nicjasno‘s modified Unimog front axle?

No, I need something better for this one

The changes that Ales took are for 1:12,5 Unimog U400 with portal axles and not for my version :wink:

Of course you are free to scroll through my topic and make suggestions

Thank you for offering any kind of suggestion and help :classic: