knotian

Instructions for 'Mirror images'

The component of a very large Technic model I am building is large. (302 Pieces) There are two of them, mirror images. What is your opinion? Should I do instructions for both or just have a text saying "Make Two as mirror images". I am assuming that if anyone uses these they will be an experienced builder.

Edited by knotian

You are probably right. But (LOL) it takes me days to get the instructions correct and only an hour or so to do the assembly. I see now why there is a shortage of instructions on MOC's. I'm just being thick headed in, after many rears, doing a set of instructions.

If you are using LDraw you can make (LPub) instructions for one and then copy the whole model file. After that you can use my LDCad to mirror the model (and submodels), this assuming the needed lpub meta's are (nearly) identical for both versions.

If your intended readers are experienced builders, they shouldnā€™t have problems with mirrors.

Honestly, I hate it when official instructions donā€™t even useĀ a ā€œx2ā€ (or more!) and Iā€™d really like them to tell meĀ when a build is a mirror of the previous one.Ā  I like to build them in parallel, so I always (have to) check when I suspect a mirror is going to be built next (LEGO designers are sometimes devious and just change a part or a colour here or there).

As for how to present the build, for advanced buildersĀ a text or the image of both builds side by side should suffice.Ā  For less advanced builders, youā€™d need to show the mirror build.Ā  Anyway, a ā€œthese are mirror buildsā€ indication for people like me would be welcomeĀ :wink:

SylvanLS;

I agree that building them in parallel is the way to go. Good idea of having pictures of both builds side by side.

On 8/20/2018 at 7:31 PM, roland said:

If you are using LDraw you can make (LPub) instructions for one and then copy the whole model file. After that you can use my LDCad to mirror the model (and submodels), this assuming the needed lpub meta's are (nearly) identical for both versions.

I use the mirror function all the time. Great feature!
Though, it would save a ton moreĀ time if it would also (optionally) mirror the ROTSTEPsĀ :wink:

I always add explicit instructions for the mirror image, but I always try to build the two halves directly after each other, so that the asymmetry is resolved as soon as possible. (I hate when official instructions first complete one side with all kinds of submodels, and only after that, start doing all the same things again for the other side.) In many cases, I expect the reader to understand that both halves go on the same place on opposide sides of the model, so I add them in the same step instead of fiddling with rotation steps. So I tell out the instructions, but I don't always tell out exactly where the submodel goes. I expect this to be clear after the first half.

Also, if possible I try to join the models to a single symmetric submodel, and build both halves up in the same model, or split it up into various smaller submodels, say A, B and C, and then put the instructions in the order of Aleft, Aright, Bleft, Bright, Cleft, Cright. It's a rare case if my instructions have large mirrored submodels (the side panels of my valuable transport truck are one such rare case.)