3 hours ago, Tommy Styrvoky said:

Use 1x1 brick with headlight to inset the slopes by 1/2 a plate. Also for your choice of control, I would suggest getting a Sbrick, as it is cheaper, and it is more flexible with the ability to program via the profile designer. The only major advantage for the Buwizz is it offers a higher voltage output, and an integrated battery assembly. As with your model you will need at least 2 of whatever you choose to control your model with. Also the 8z gear you are using to drive the traverse gear won't work, you need a 12z and 20z both in half bevel and this part to brace them.

Hey Tommy, thanks for the bracing tip, already incorporated it. The headlight brick is indeed the solution for this, but getting this incorporated into the design is gonna be a pain in the a**. tried several things but can't seem to get it incorporated without having to tear apart the hulls.

If you don't want to adjust the height at all (if you drop the gap by one plate you would have a tight fit on the top and bottom of the sponson and you could build the entire front side portion out as a solid piece as the gap is 4 studs wide then) you could connect it using part 99206 (2x2x2/3 with studs on side) underneath the 2x4 tile at the front.

4 hours ago, Stimy said:

Hey Tommy, thanks for the bracing tip, already incorporated it. The headlight brick is indeed the solution for this, but getting this incorporated into the design is gonna be a pain in the a**. tried several things but can't seem to get it incorporated without having to tear apart the hulls.

Part 44728 fixes the top issue, though not sure what to do yet for the bottom of the sponson.

8 hours ago, Tommy Styrvoky said:

Part 44728 fixes the top issue, though not sure what to do yet for the bottom of the sponson.

Thanks Tommy, this fixed it!! :thumbup:

I got a lot further with the MK V, the body is finished and connected with both hulls. the exterior is nearly done except for the unditching rails and beam.

Now I am going to work out the drive-system for this thing, I need to do some research about what to use. at least I can start ordering parts to start building the body. :excited:

6yFDW66.jpg?1

aqZt75x.jpg?1

5aVl3qg.jpg?1

Edited by Stimy

just made 7 orders for the parts, still missing a couple of parts but will order these once I found them at better prices. Finally I can start building :drool:

small image of the finished exterior. Now working on the drive system, sadly my experience and knowledge of mechanical engineering is not that high so Tommy helped me out with a basic clutch drive system. I am now changing it so it can be used in the tank

96FifDY.png?1

Edited by Stimy

After a lot of bricklink orders I got almost all the pieces I need. I've started building the first half of the hulls, so far it's all going together as planned but I did have to use some SNOT techniques to get the both halves to connect. some parts are still missing to complete the hull but they are on the way. I've also tried to get the drive system to work but this will need some redesigning, at the moment I can't get the clutch-steer system working as I would like.

WXEtWti.jpg?1

Edited by Stimy

Just now, Edwin Korstanje said:

Looks great in real bricks @Stimy, but see already some tension in the bricks and plates.:wink:

indeed, the front is not completely joined together, still waiting on 2 parts for this, or do you see other parts?

17 minutes ago, Stimy said:

indeed, the front is not completely joined together, still waiting on 2 parts for this, or do you see other parts?

I see that the complete side in under tension and think you can better use more plates instead of bricks. Building constructions with this size ore bigger will give you tension in the bricks and plates are lot stronger and use only bricks where needed.

It wil cost you some more money, but it's not only stronger and will look at the end also better, now you have already some gaps between de bricks(tension) and adding more parts and weight on it will going not to be better.

Edited by Edwin Korstanje

I do think this is a cool project, but the whole thing just looks like it is about to fall apart, it looks like the bricks aren't clicked together all the way or something weird is going on are they not aligned correctly? Are they 100% LEGO? Something just isn't right. 

On 10/14/2018 at 12:52 AM, Johnny1360 said:

I do think this is a cool project, but the whole thing just looks like it is about to fall apart, it looks like the bricks aren't clicked together all the way or something weird is going on are they not aligned correctly? Are they 100% LEGO? Something just isn't right. 

Hey johnny, thanks for the comment.

The hulls consist of 2 parts, connected in the middle. At the moment I used a modified SNOT technique to get these 2 parts connected, so far it is keeping together but you can indeed see some gaps at some places. It will get stronger once the inside hull is fully built and connected. below is a picture where you can see where the 2 parts come together. I use 100% lego parts but some tan parts have some age and are not 100% straight anymore, I'll fix that in tha days/weeks to come.

QOEaVdX.jpg?1

Edited by Stimy

We've built some more and so far, so good.

I strengthened the hulls some more and at the moment these are very sturdy, only the front piece is a bit flimsy where the red goes to white, but i'm awaiting pieces to remodel this. The sponson sides is also something that i'm not so happy with, it looks ok but it is not strong so that needs to be remoddeled also. bit by bit, we're getting there.

SzZ0cFq.jpg?1

SC06bhs.jpg?1

Edited by Stimy

The exterior is nearly complete, I'm still waiting on some parts that have not been delivered yet. the body feels very strong and only 2 parts still remain to be modified but at the moment I can't really find a solution to this.

The drive system is nearly ready (once again thanks to Tommy Styrvoky) I think that the parts will arrive next week and i'll be ready to do a first test with this. afterwards I'll be ordering the Sbricks and the full incorporation will start. I expect this build to be completed by the end of the year.

Once again I really would like the thank all the people that have helped me with my first MOC, I didn't imagine that I would get such a big support!!

oS4cyvl.jpg?1

jXlcAXN.jpg?1

ejySDFK.jpg?1

Edited by Stimy

Wow, that is an awesome build! How much pieces did it cost you to build this? Don't think I have ever seen a WW1 era tank in this size. :classic:

55 minutes ago, Hollander said:

Wow, that is an awesome build! How much pieces did it cost you to build this? Don't think I have ever seen a WW1 era tank in this size. :classic:

Hey Hollander, it takes about 2.250 bricks to complete including the drive system. Sariel has already built one of these. 

As it is my first MOC I used a lot of his example but modified some parts that I thought were better. My drive system will use a clutch drive system, designed by Tommy Styrvoky) 

Looks absolutely amazing so far!  Definitely looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I've also seen that video of Sariel's version of this tank, and was really impressed with it, but I'd like to see how your clutch drive works, compared to theirs.

Hey Laura, thank you for the support! The drive system is currently assembled but doesn't work yet, I am still trying to figure out how to connect the drive axles to my sprockets.

I am still waiting on a couple of pieces and also trying to source a Lego PF rechargable battery box for a decent price, at the moment prices are going far higher than I wish to spend on it. I also need to order the 2 SBrick units so I can make this thing work under its own power *huh*. I also saw some parts in the outer hulls that I am not happy with, these are giving to much stress on some parts and create gaps, maybe I'll take these apart and reshape them. This is also the case with the sponsons, I am not relay happy with how the sides look and they are also not very strong, so back to the drawing board for these parts :ugh:

However at the moment I am not finding the time to work a lot on the MKV due to an imense workload on the job, this will probably carry on until the beginning of next year :cry_sad: so it is possible that it will take a lot longer than first anticipated.

Edited by Stimy

First of all, my best wishes to you all! :drunk:

I finally found some time to continue with the MK V. Parts keep stacking up as I keep reshaping parts and improving on the design, but Rome wasn't buit in a day :laugh:. I'll try to make some pictures en videos and post them here.

- The hulls have been improved and I am nearing the end.

- Exterior wise I got all the parts i need to finish it cosmetically, but probably something else will come along that I'm not happy with (sponsons) but the drive system is the main priority now.

- The Sbricks are integrated into the body and I am now working out how to use the clutch system correctly and to the best of my capabilities.

- The canons work under their own power and do what they need to do :thumbup:

Edited by Stimy

12 hours ago, Stimy said:

First of all, my best wishes to you all! :drunk:

All the best to you, too! :wink:

Glad to see this beast's progress!
Hey, can you please post a bit smaller pics in the future? Max allowed size is 1024. Thx!

4 hours ago, Milan said:

All the best to you, too! :wink:

Glad to see this beast's progress!
Hey, can you please post a bit smaller pics in the future? Max allowed size is 1024. Thx!

Hey Milan, thanks for pointing this out. I have just resized all images & and reposted them.

7 hours ago, Stimy said:

Hey Milan, thanks for pointing this out. I have just resized all images & and reposted them.

Cool! Thanks.

Well ladies and gentleman, all good songs come to an end. and the end of this project is in sight. :wub:

Mechanicly, the tanks works like I wanted, the clutch steer system works perfectly (courtesy and with A LOT of thanks to Tommy Styrvoky) and I figured out a drive system in Sbrick which i still need to fine tune a bit. some small things need to be changed (plastidip on the tracks for improved traction, change some clutch gears with new ones & wiring the inside so it is more tidy)

Cosmeticaly there are still some points that I want to change (close the gaps where the parts meet, add semaphores, exhaust pipe, redesigning the lower parts of the sponsons & finishing the top)

0Odph1T.jpg?1

j0zGjRL.jpg?1

below there's a small video on how the clutch system works & the plans of the tank. I've changed some things while building and didn't change it in the LDD design.

https://bricksafe.com/files/stimy/mk-v-tank/Mark V Final updated.lxf

Edited by Stimy