Sign in to follow this  
narbilu

Temple of Daïnna [Varlyrio, HSS]

Temple of Daïnna

44142242802_8ed060bb79.jpg 44142242752_8077f92fe0.jpg 

After the first settlers of Kashgar built the first homes through the maze of canals of Kashgar the community requested a temple to pray to their deity of choice.

The Temple keeper Perrish assists his flock of Kashgar residents and outsiders, preaching to numerous deities needed to favor the hunt, production or trade important to the Varlyrians. The Temple was named after Daïnna, an Avalonian Half-God Huntress who was praised for her skills in tracking and archery and the deity the Khaor family draws much energy from.

Daïnna’s arrows are blessed with flight and accuracy. Her followers are believed to be given a sharp vision and strong sense to aid in the hunt. A secret lore even suggest that she hunted more than just animals and mythical creatures and that she shed royal blood.

Spoiler

44142242672_3d8fddab50.jpg

Spoiler

WIP Kashgar - Varlyrio

44142243002_18988944d5.jpg

HSS: Religious

Edited by narbilu

I love all of the arches in this build, creating various small colonnades around the edges. The gold accents are great, especially the dome, and the large doors look suitably imposing. The roof looks the slightest bit unfinished with the row of studs left exposed at the top, though. The interior is even better than the exterior, I think, with great rafters and statues, as well as nice pews.

The thing I really don't like, and think does not make any sense, is the inclusion of Christian cross symbolism; it is obviously intended to call to mind European Catholic church architecture and styling, with a cross on the dome and an elaborate golden cross behind the altar, but Historica does not have Christians, and a symbol of torture makes little sense as the symbol of a religion without the appropriate Biblical context. Also, why call it "St. Joseph"? Do Varlyrian religions declare people to be saints? It is something that I have seen before in countless LEGO builds, from cemeteries full of crosses to every church or chapel in non-Christian fantasy builds. It is effective to convey what the building is, I suppose, but it seems like there should be a different way to do it. Especially if it is going to be a church for numerous deities. I hope that makes sense.

Please don't read the previous paragraph as hostile or attacking, by the way. It is merely intended to raise questions about common habits. I like the build, and I like that the people of Kashgar have their place of worship so soon. 

I agree with HQ about the arches, they make the moc looks really great! 

The dome with golden touch is lovely!!

2 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

The thing I really don't like, and think does not make any sense, is the inclusion of Christian cross symbolism; it is obviously intended to call to mind European Catholic church architecture and styling, with a cross on the dome and an elaborate golden cross behind the altar, but Historica does not have Christians, and a symbol of torture makes little sense as the symbol of a religion without the appropriate Biblical context. Also, why call it "St. Joseph"? Do Varlyrian religions declare people to be saints? It is something that I have seen before in countless LEGO builds, from cemeteries full of crosses to every church or chapel in non-Christian fantasy builds. It is effective to convey what the building is, I suppose, but it seems like there should be a different way to do it. Especially if it is going to be a church for numerous deities. I hope that makes sense.

HQ, I actually agree with you on this and when I come up with a fictional symbol, I will adjust my post :angel_sing:

Your advice on taking pictures is appreciated, that also will be changed soon. Thanks again.

2 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

I love all of the arches in this build, creating various small colonnades around the edges. The gold accents are great, especially the dome, and the large doors look suitably imposing. The roof looks the slightest bit unfinished with the row of studs left exposed at the top, though. The interior is even better than the exterior, I think, with great rafters and statues, as well as nice pews.

Please don't read the previous paragraph as hostile or attacking, by the way. It is merely intended to raise questions about common habits. I like the build, and I like that the people of Kashgar have their place of worship so soon. 

I agree about this stuff but it also is worth mentioning that there are many Christians AFOLs on GoH and that there's probably an overlap with the similarly many historical architecture enthusiasts who are emulating techniques that appear in real examples. While I think it strains the lore to use "Saint" (I pitched a deity using the made-up "Sana" as a stand-in for Saint before I saw this thread) and Christian imagery, I just wanted to bring up why I think it's common at least in GoH to add this stuff.

I don't know if there's been a universal GoH discussion about this stuff, but maybe back in the early Book 1 days?

The repetitive arches are cool, interior is great with the rafters/arches & benches, and for some reason I really like the cups under the dome--absolutely no idea why. :laugh:

The building is neat.  I like the arches and the touches of gold, the dome at the top is nice.  I like the way the roof is done gives it layers to the building.  Nice job.  

Nice building the colours work really well. I agree with HQ about the arches and also the studs on the roof. 

Im liking the look of the building on the right in the spoiler, can't wait to see more. 

Picture and build update...

On 8/20/2018 at 7:47 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

The thing I really don't like, and think does not make any sense, is the inclusion of Christian cross symbolism

I didn't realize this... I changed the deity, the name and the symbolism of my temple. Hope you like it

6 hours ago, narbilu said:

Picture and build update...

I didn't realize this... I changed the deity, the name and the symbolism of my temple. Hope you like it

I think it is improved on every count: the studs on the roof are gone, the angle of the pictures is better, and the new cult worshiping there is a great addition to the lore of Historica. I also think the addition of a couple asymmetrical spires improved the look as a whole! Nicely done. 

The cup and dome technique looks really good and the double arches add the necessary depth and detail!

Nice golden details, and I also like the doors a lot :classic:
This is the perfect sized build for a decent HSS religious build imho.

I think my favorite part of this is the roof.  The black slopes are great.  I liked the Christian iconography in the original build as well, but this works, too.  Keep up the great work!  I like how these builds are not cluttered with too much and look clean, yet retain detail and style.  Nice job!

I really love the look here, reminds me of some of the architecture I saw of Turkey. Keep up the good work!

All these arches are so great!

I also second HQ about the use of symbols etc, but you've solved it very well with these arrows and additional lore :thumbup: 

Also, I'm a big fan of the door hinges :classic: 

Another great build showcasing the usefulness of arches! The golden details look very nice and add to the religious tone for the building.
Very cool rafter setup inside :thumbup:

This is a really interesting structure.  I like the asymmetry of it, and the color scheme with the gold works nicely.  I also like the doors, and it's great to see things here that have full interiors.

Good job!