Sign in to follow this  
narbilu

Golden Wing Leather Workshop [Varlyrio 1C]

Golden Wing Leather Workshop

When Joseph Khaor first set foot on Varlyrio he arrived in a small hamlet in the eastern bay, which he called Kashgar. Hamlet was still too much to call the collective of small houses. Joseph thought it would be a great spot to settle and he started to build his home and workshop.

44142243182_73d1ed0ddf.jpg

At first it functioned as a tailorshop until the majority of the product shifted from cloth to leather, armors in particular. Generations later the building was still standing, although the residential purpose was moved to a larger location.

43284662985_de5b3dc3ae.jpg

On the bottom floor a shop allows the customers to do business and pick up their order.

The second floor holds the workshop of the craftsmen making the armors and other leatherwork specialty orders.

The top floor is the drying area for the stock of furs and leather that they acquired from their tannery further up the canal.

HSS: Craftsmen Armorer

Spoiler

44142243092_65d82f8c74.jpg

Spoiler

WIP of Kashgar

44142243002_18988944d5.jpg

Edited by narbilu

I really like the style you've got going here with this and your fort for Varlyrio, the dark flesh and light grey complement each other well!

The colors of this build are very nice. I find the dark flesh and light grey and black go together very well. I love the detail of the furs made with the minifig hair! It works surprisingly well, though I wish that the walls and fur were different colors. What is the significance of the black skeleton? Is it a dummy to put armor-in-progress on, or a relic of a past customer who did not pay? 

I think, on a side note, that the photography and presentation would be improved with a lower angle, closer to street's eye than bird's eye. I find looking down so steeply at the build a bit off-putting. The build itself looks great, but adjusting the angle would make it easier to look at. 

Clever use of the hairs as leather-in-the-making, Narb, and the black, grey, medium flesh color combo works very well again :thumbup:  The golden wing up top strikes me as a bit random-looking, but I like it anyhow :grin:  My favorite thing's probably got to be the curved brown tiles on the door, though!

42 minutes ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

What is the significance of the black skeleton?  Is it a... relic of a past customer who did not pay? 

:rofl: :iamded_lol:

Great idea! And well done put it in to ABS bricks! :)

The colorscheme fits very well with my picture of Varlyrio! :)

Love that parts use with the hair but agree that a different color would add contrast.

5 minutes ago, mccoyed said:

Love that parts use with the hair but agree that a different color would add contrast.

I must say, I borrowed the idea from Jacob Nion... one of my favorite moccers. I will add some different color hairpieces when I make new pictures.

Edited by narbilu

Nice little shop.  I like the porch/deck on top, we don't see that very often, and as others have noted the colors are sweet.

Nice MOC.  I like the front door.  The colors work well together.  I also like the use of the masonry bricks.  The interior is nice and a agree with others that other hair pieces would provide better contrast and a more realistic view of a tannery.  

Nice fur NPU :thumbup:
I like the general style of the building, and especially the growing layout in the hidden picture when all builds are coming together around the canals!

On 8/20/2018 at 7:21 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

I think, on a side note, that the photography and presentation would be improved with a lower angle, closer to street's eye than bird's eye. I find looking down so steeply at the build a bit off-putting. The build itself looks great, but adjusting the angle would make it easier to look at. 

It also helps decreasing the divergence outwards of the vertical lines on the side of the image, which I am not a fan of.
But in this case I think the photos at least must have been taken at a slightly longer distance since I almost don't see any divergence :classic:

The hair pieces do work really well for skins being processed :thumbup: I also like the pillar setup you have on the first story, with various bley round elements grouped together under the arches.

A couple manikins showcasing some superb leather armor would be a fun touch for the sales floor :classic:

I like the nice, tight build.  Clean lines, great Venetian style architecture, and the use of the curved tile on the door is great.  Well done!

Great use of the curved tiles on that door, and the pillars, and an excellent colourscheme, and the sweet floor pattern, and the interiors...

Nice job :thumbup: 

Like others, I like how you've used the hair pieces as hides.  That's a great idea.  I also love the door, and I love how it is actually functional.  Builds with interiors are always great, and this one does not disappoint.

Good build!

I am really enjoying all your recent builds, they construct a mental image of your family business, also liking how on many of them you incorporate a decorative theme to them that stands out.
Well done. :classic::thumbup: