Hello all,

I would like to present a new project. It's a rotary drilling rig based on the Liebherr LB44 and based on the chassis of the lego technic crawler crane 42042

liebherrlb44.jpg

liebherr_lb44.jpg

Here are some WIP pictures, I used the carriage (with some mods) and part of the superstructure (mainly the gearbox) of the 42042 because it's quite a good design and starting point.

20180819_203746.jpg

I already have put a reduction gear on the upper LA's (not visible in the pictures) because with the direct link the motor was not able to lift the boom. On the real machine the winches are located on the boom, but on my machine I will use the existing winches of the 42042. Also the driveshaft of the upper LA's will be modified to make it a bit stronger.

20180819_203816.jpg

Next picture is the boom in a more or less rest-transport position

20180819_205101.jpg

As always comments are always welcome.

Hello all,

A small WIP update, I completed the tower and the winches. I made sort of a turntable and the drill itself. The motor on the turntable is on the side and leaves the sliding part unbalanced , I still have to figure out a good solution. I also need to make a locking mechanism to connect the drill with the turntable. All suggestions are always welcome.

20180830_232233.jpg

20180830_232310.jpg

Edited by gvo25
add foto

I would advise you to use 2 winches for the drill to help stabilize it, and to use a frame-heavy construction for the drill "module". Otherwise looking really good, keep it up!

I will say, it is starting to look much better, so keep it up, wish I had some worthwhile build advice to help you out though. 

1 hour ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

I would advise you to use 2 winches for the drill

It looks like he has used two- look on the top of the superstructure

Hello all,

A new update for today, I'll let the fotos speak...

20180919_223445.jpg

I reworked the carrier (or drilling unit). The m-motor is now in the middle and the unit is more stable and looks better just like the real thing. The rotating unit is also removable thanks to the red pins. The drillrod is held fixed on the bottom of the turntable with two manual 'clamps' and rubber bands to be able to be rotated. It's not ideal due to the drillrod which is not perfect.(to be reworked in due course)

20180919_223539.jpg

I started on trying some bodywork options. Still WIP

20180919_224329.jpg

This is the drilling rig in transport mode. Obviously the rotating unit and the drill rod should be dissassambled before transport.

The drilling rig is able to lower itself under own power, but to lift the rig it needs a little help (from a crane...) to hoist it past the dead point of the LA's. When the rig is past that it can be lifted under own power.

20180919_224355.jpg

That's all for now

23 hours ago, gvo25 said:

The drilling rig is able to lower itself under own power, but to lift the rig it needs a little help (from a crane...) to hoist it past the dead point of the LA's. When the rig is past that it can be lifted under own power.

Maybe you could add an aditional LA, even small, at a different angle. It could be used only at the beginning of lifting process. At the next part of lifting it doesn't have to be connected at all. What do you think?

@HogwartusIt's definitely an option which i can implement, i've already looked into it, and I normally have the place to add an m-motor and a mini actuator. The m-motor would go at the bottom backside of the tower. It can serve as counterbalance when i make the tower 15 studs higher (also on my to do list)

11 hours ago, MxWinters said:

Awesome model, very impressive. How far does the drill head reach below the ground?

It can go almost 40 studs

Hello all,

I think I more or less finished my rotary drilling rig, here are the last fotos

20181002_202502.jpg

20181002_202654.jpg

And a 'night' foto

20181002_202802.jpg

The only thing I don't like is the drillbit itself. It's not the best option to make it out of axels and pulleys. Therefore it's not doing perfectly what its supposed to do. I know how to make one but I don't have the means to order 50 pieces of it.

Always welcome to hear comments or advice

I hope tomorrow I can post a small video

Look forward to the video as I have no idea how these work. 

Funny how you have 42053 cabin on there as my 42042 has that put on it too but loosely, waiting for time to put it on properly, so glad it looks good on this chassis.

extremely long awaited video

[media]

It shows a bit how it works, but with a lack of a good drill it wasn't doing it's job well