Hey guys, 

Here is my official TC14 build, the swing got boring and I lost interest in it. 

Anyway, sorry for not taking photos as I built.  I spent many hours on LDD building up a prototype, then built it this morning.  I am hoping to have it nearly completed today.  

800x600.jpg

Hoping for another update before tonight... with better pictures :) 

Edited by aminnich

I got home from class today and decided to do some building quick before work.  

Here is a quick video as the sky wheel sits now.

Still lots of work to be done; the main structure turning mechanism, 16 chairs, cleanup overall appearance... and my video skills :grin:

here are a few more progress pictures, I still have a lot of work ahead of me if I want to enter, but I will do my best 

TO DO LIST:

design the seats/build 32 seats

figure out the gearing for the main structure (chain does not work, too much weight in the superstructure) 

Make a video

Also, I am not sure why bricksafe is cutting off like half of the picture when I post it here, but at the bottom of this post is the bricksafe link so U can see the whole thing.

Thanks for looking :)

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

https://www.bricksafe.com/pages/Aminnich/tc14-sky-wheel-

update, everything is moving with only a few clicking gears :laugh:

I needed to have a line of 8 gears instead of using a chain because the chain was not strong enough. If I had the time to go back and redesign, I would use more axle driven parts instead of gears.  

5 hours ago, aminnich said:

update, everything is moving with only a few clicking gears :laugh:

I needed to have a line of 8 gears instead of using a chain because the chain was not strong enough. If I had the time to go back and redesign, I would use more axle driven parts instead of gears.  

Your ride looks good.

This would be a stronger chain using the old Lego gears cogs & studded chain links which come in several colours & sizes. and replicate the chain drives used on many old fairground rides. The chain links are 2L wide.

43620249615_46211c3a7d.jpg

Edited by Doug72

That would be a much better setup for this application. The 1L chain links done have enough grip for much load applications. 

I have found chains do one thing well, transmit high speed rotation from point A to point B.  Note the “high speed” designator which means low/no torque.  My Twirl and Hurl armature used shaft driven bevel gears meshing with the turntable gearing to synconize and rotate the two spinning ride heads with the central turntable.  Is this the same or similar thing you are using here? 

After looking closely, I see the gears... maybe shaft driven would work better? That is what I would try.

16 hours ago, aminnich said:

Also, I am not sure why bricksafe is cutting off like half of the picture when I post it here, but at the bottom of this post is the bricksafe link so U can see the whole thing.

Bricksafe offers some default dimensions, but they are all in landscape mode. Your pictures are in portrait mode. If you change the end of the URL from 800x600.jpg to 600x800.jpg the image is displayed entirely.

600x800.jpg

just got home from work, time to build!  6 hours remaining 

7 hours ago, Frequenzberater said:

Perhaps using two or more chains in parallel could be an option? 

Chains in parallel might work, but it means redesigning the structure (making it wider) and ordering more chain, I do not think bricklink has same hour delivery :P  Ill figure something out.... maybe just 40t gears? bigger gear more grip??? maybe, ill try it out 

7 hours ago, Bublehead said:

I have found chains do one thing well, transmit high speed rotation from point A to point B.  Note the “high speed” designator which means low/no torque.  My Twirl and Hurl armature used shaft driven bevel gears meshing with the turntable gearing to synconize and rotate the two spinning ride heads with the central turntable.  Is this the same or similar thing you are using here? 

After looking closely, I see the gears... maybe shaft driven would work better? That is what I would try.

That is what I am finding as well, the chains are not meant for high loads

6 hours ago, WvG_853 said:

Bricksafe offers some default dimensions, but they are all in landscape mode. Your pictures are in portrait mode. If you change the end of the URL from 800x600.jpg to 600x800.jpg the image is displayed entirely.

Thanks for the info!

I know that now you add some support on sides, but it is now strong enough? On video can be seen how the structure is trembling. Crazy size and good idea!

I got it all to work, I took a short video to show all motion.  But movie maker does not want to open the file and I cannot upload directly to youtube, any thoughts?  

I will be working on the seats now and final touches 

Great model of a classic ride! The two way rotation results in some really interesting movement, that's satisfying to watch. Well done and good luck!