Digger of Bricks

LEGO Speed Champions - Wishlists and Future Speculation

According to @dimaks13, Speed Champions will indeed have life beyond Toys'R'Us here in the United States, continuing on for at least a fifth year. 

So, having said that, what would you wish or hope to see for the theme next year and potentially beyond? :classic:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

Lamborghini: At this point, any Lambo model would be welcomed

BMW: M1, E30 M3 top my list, but again, any M car would be welcomed

McLaren F1

Classic Corvette. They could basically rework the car in this set: https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Iron-Man-Detroit-Steel-Strikes-76077

I have a big wish list for Japanese cars, but it seems unlikely we will see anything from Toyota/Nissan/Honda/Mazda

The James Bond Aston Martin DB5 w/ Bond minifigure. Would also like a Vanquish.

I tried to keep my list limited to current and potential license agreements.  We can wish away for all sorts of one-off and small producer hyper cars, but we also have to be realistic.  

2 hours ago, BimmerBoy said:

McLaren F1

This would be awesome! Or more McLaren sets in general.

2 hours ago, BimmerBoy said:

I have a big wish list for Japanese cars, but it seems unlikely we will see anything from Toyota/Nissan/Honda/Mazda

IDK... Toyota is bringing back the Supra and Honda has the NSX. Those are both pretty popular cars.

I'd really like to see Koenigsegg get a small lineup. Something alone these lines maybe? The CCXR or ONE:1

Spoiler

Here's a few of my suggestions for each manufacturer.

Lamborghini: Aventador SVJ, Playset featuring a Huracan GT3. Maybe a Huracan Super Trofeo Evo.

Aston Martin: Vulcan, Valkyrie, Vantage GT3/GTE playset.

BMW: i8, M4 DTM, M8 GTE, Maybe M1 Procar.

Mercedes Benz: AMG Project One, AMG GT-R F1 Safety Car, 1950's Renntransporter with W196 or 300SLR.

Ford: 2017 GT Road Car, Shelby Mustang? Mustang/Fusion NASCAR.

Ferrari: 330 P4, FXX-K Evo, Possible F1 Playset.

Toyota: Yaris WRC, TS050 LMP1, Supra GR Racing Concept.

McLaren: Senna, 570S GT4.

What do you guys think of my suggestions?

Some vehicles I'd like to see them do so for SC including haulers (as in 75875):

Tyrrell P34

Lamborghini Countach

Subaru Impreza WRX 

Chevy - 70s Stingray Vette, 80s Camaro, Avalanche

Chrysler/Dodge - Viper, PT Cruiser, Ram 3500 (dual rear wheels)

Mercedes AMG G63 6x6

It would be nice if they could do another set that includes a large truck (like the Ferrari race team) and make further use of their license with Mack. Maybe a standard car hauler scaled to fit five or six SC cars.

21 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

IDK... Toyota is bringing back the Supra and Honda has the NSX. Those are both pretty popular cars.

The problem is the likelihood of a licensing deal happening.  Maybe I missed something, but I believe we have not seen a single Japanese brand in Lego form ever.  No Creator cars, no Technic sets, no Speed Champions. 

I would love a Speed Champions NSX (a double set with the original and new car would be awesome).  A Subaru WRC car to compete with last year's Ford would be nice.  There are plenty of great cars to choose from (Skyline/GTR, RX-7, 240z, NSX, Supra, 300z, Honda Type-R cars, etc), I just don't see them coming unfortunately.

Do you really think our wishes have an impact on TLG and their plans regarding further Speed Champions sets? Of course that would be great, but I doubt it, I must say. However I'm looking forward to any classic race car like the Ferrari 250 GTO or the Porsche 917K since these sets are an excellent basis for moccing or at least modding purposes. If I was to pick a favourite it would be a Lotus F1 racer which isn't very likely to happen, I guess.

Here is my Speed Champion Wishlist:

1973 Porsche 917/30

Any current Toyota LMP1 (all of them would look the same in Lego form)

Porsche 962

Aston Martin Vantage GTE

BMW M8 GTE

BMW: 3.0 CSL, M1 Procar, V12 LMR, and M8 GTE

Aston Martin: Valkyrie, Vantage GTE, Vulcan, and DB4 GT

Mercedes-Benz: Project One, W196, 300SL, and 190E

McLaren: Can Am car, M28, F1 GTR, and Senna

Ferrari: Ferrari 375 F1, Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta, Ferrari 330 P4, and Ferrari 333 SP.

Porsche: Porsche 934 RSR, Porsche 917/30, Porsche 956, and Porsche 962

C2 Corvette

MK IV GT40

Audi Sport Quattro

Some are more plausible than others.

Edited by TheLegoPerson9

I'm hoping for a Lotus or two... The Lotus Evora is currently my favorite sports car:

Lotus-Evora-400-Seitenansicht-fotoshowBi

Edited by Graupensuppe

Here's a more particular question for you all...

What further part recolors would you like to see in the future from this theme, particularly for ones that have been introduced for the line? Furthermore, what sort of new parts do you hope or wish they'd introduce, whether they be particular types of fenders, wheels, hubcaps windshields, etc? :classic:

I want a Pearl Gold 5 spoke so I can finish my MOC Hoonicorn haha!

I would love to see Dark Blue and Medium Blue for the new fender parts.

I also would LOVE LOVE LOVE a 5 wide wind screen!

4 hours ago, supertruper1988 said:

I also would LOVE LOVE LOVE a 5 wide wind screen!

This is what i would really like to see as well. 

If Speed Champions will continue on for a more prolonged period of time, I'd hope to see the theme come to introduce some non-minifigure scaled lines under its wing, perhaps including an annual reoccurring series of some Expert-scaled, System-built automobiles and even a line of four-wide polybag builds similar to those of the former Racers theme. :shrug_oh_well:

Any of the big Italian supercars of the '80s. 280 GTO, Testarossa, F40, Countach. I'm not really picky, but bonus points if they seat two minifigs. All my other car interests are from back in the days whens fast production cars weren't really a thing, and thus really not Speed Champions material. :head_back:

Edited by K_Tiger

My favourite car of all time would have to be the 1964 Lincoln Continental. If this gets made, I’ll be over the moon; however that would be a stretch.

The Bugatti Divo would be an another awesome addition to the line and with its recent reveal, I see it becoming a potential set.

6 hours ago, supertruper1988 said:

I have been thinking about this an I would love to see a Ferrari F40/F50/La Ferrari set. 

A Ferrari La Ferrari has already been made in the Speed Champions theme; in the first year of the theme back in 2015 was when it was released for £12.99.

30 minutes ago, J4ck said:

A Ferrari La Ferrari has already been made in the Speed Champions theme; in the first year of the theme back in 2015 was when it was released for £12.99.

Ahh yeah i forgot about that release of the Ferrari The Ferarri. I guess just a F40/F50 Set would be awesome!

If Lego introduced a new car brand into Speed Champions but said goodbye to an existing car brand, which would introduce and which would you kiss goodbye to and why?

Personally, I’d say bye to Audi only because the cars we’ve had from Audi aern’t interesting to me. I would introduce Lamborghini because I think those cars would fit right in with Ferrari and Bugatti.

NOTE: This is a wish list. Not confirmed at all.

Hi there, i've been doing some thinking about what sets would be released in the Speed Champions range for the next two years if I were in charge of it. I wanted to include a few new manufacturers and have some cars from manufacturers that are already asscociated with the theme. I won't be able to include photos of the cars due to the memory limit so, you'll have to look them up if you want to know what they look like. Please let me know what you think. Thank you.

Newcomers: BMW & Lamborghini

Stand-Alone Cars

Lamborghini Aventador SVJ

The range has almost all of the major supercar manufacturers. But not Lamborghini. Why? They're owned by VW like Audi and Bugatti are, so Lambo should be within easy reach. So, in this wave, Lambo is represented in the stand-alone £12.99 car collection by the latest variation of the company's flagship: The Aventador SVJ. My choice of colour scheme would be a yellow one with black wheels. The accessory would be an overhanging set of traffic lights.

BMW iFE. 18

Another easy manufacturer to drag into the SC range would be Mini's current owners: BMW. Not only that but their entry in the current season of Formula E. It would really be interesting to see how Lego would tackle the complex design of current Formula E cars such as the wings and the halo around the cockpit. The trackside accessory would be a piece of wall with a jail door piece attached to the top as a fence.

Ferrari 330 P4

Yes, I know, Ferrari have shown up to the party a lot already but when it comes to classics, the Stable Of The Prancing Horse still has some unplumbed depths. Plus, the 330 P4 would be a way to get the new mudguard pieces in red cheaper and easier. It wouldn't have a trackside accessory but instead, similar to the F40, this set would include pieces to turn it from the hard top Berlinetta version to the open top spider version.

BMW M4 GTS

We round up the 2020 stand alone car range with another Beemer. This time, the hardcore M4 GTS. It would be coloured dark grey and include orange wheels with silver wheel covers. The McLaren Senna was dark grey with orange wheels so the M4 GTS should already be easier to make. The trackside accessory would be a tool cart.

Playsets

2019 BMW M8 GTE & 1979 BMW M1 Procar

This would be the small £34.99 price range playset for 2020 and features two BMW race cars both old and new. Both would share similar paint schemes (white, red and blue) and would also include a pit wall with a control centre. Minifigures included would of course be two drivers and two BMW pit crew members. One male, one female.

Lamborghini Huracan GT3 EVO & Diablo GT2 Challenge

Finally, we top off the 2020 range with a set that fits into the £69.99 range. It would include the latest iteration of Lambo's Huracan GT3 race car in lime green and the 1998 GT2 spec Diablo in orange. And the buildings included would be a start/finish line light setup, a podium building similar to that from the 2015 Porsche 911 GT set, a tool cart, a fuel cart and a jumbotron with interchangeable decorated tiles, each with an image of one of the two cars racing around the track with some TV graphics. Minifigs would include 2 drivers, 3 pit crew members, a cameraman and a reporter with a microphone.

Newcomers: Toyota and Aston Martin

Stand-Alone Cars

Mercedes Benz AMG ONE

Mercedes are readying their new F1 engined hypercar, the AMG ONE. Now, come on. How could this not be in the Speed Champions range? Mercedes have been a partner of the theme already and I feel if they were to return, it should be with this. It would be light bluish grey with silver wheels. The trackside accessory would be a set of cones like you got with the McLaren P1 and Bugatti Chiron sets.

Aston Martin Valkyrie

The AMG ONE's main rival should also make an appearance here too. In a similar way the 2015 range kicked off with the "Hybrid Hypercar Holy Trinity". It'd be interesting to see how TLG would pull off it's simple yet complex shape. The colour would either be dark grey, dark blue or black with black wheels. The trackside accessory would be a digital readout similar to the accessory we got with the 1968 Mustang set but with a speed readout.

Mini John Cooper Works GP

Last year, at the Goodwood Festival Of Speed, I first laid eyes on the latest Mini JCW GP in concept form and thought it was one of the best looking hot hatches I had ever seen, especially amongst the vintage racing paraphernalia that was displayed with it. It would also be a way that Lego could release the SC wheels in red. The accessory included would be a pair of 1x6 rumble strips.

Toyota Supra

Many fans have begged for a Japanese manufacturer to appear in the SC range and after some consideration, the one most likely to show up would be Toyota which is being represented in the £12.99 range by none other than the new Supra. Possible colours would either be red, yellow or white. Or if the Supra were to take part in GTE racing, than that version would be the one getting picked. The accessory would depend on which one is chosen. If it's the road one, then a traffic light. If it's the race version, a small podium with a gold cup.

Playsets

2020 Toyota GR Super Sport "LM Hypercar" & 1999 Toyota GT-ONE

This is where things get good. In case you don't know, in 2020, the WEC is to replace LMP1 with a new class of "Hypercars" which will be more cost efficient and more based around road cars. Plus, Toyota recently announced that they would be making a new supercar after their 2018 Le Mans victory. I have no doubt in my mind that the GR Super Sport will be Toyota's representitive in this new class and as a result, this set will include the racing version of that. As for the other car, anyone who is familiar with the Gran Turismo games will know this car. A fine example of the old GT1 class that used to rule Le Mans in the 90's. It would be cool to include it in this set. The accessory would be a medium sized trophy podium. Minifigures would include 2 drivers and a photographer.

Aston Martin Vantage GTE Fuel Stop

The mid-size playset in this range would include a lime green GTE spec Vantage but without a second car, it leaves more room for a larger structure. In this case a pit stop similar to the one from set 75883 but a bit shorter in length and include a fuel tank on the outside of the pit entrance, a tool cart, and a small control centre on the inside of the garage. Minifigures included would be a driver and 4 pit crew members.

1954 Mercedes Race Transporter, 1954 W196 and 2020 Mercedes Petronas F1 Car

And we top it all off with a very interesting addition. The very unique blue "Renntransporter" would be an 8 wide build with the SC wheels coming out in blue for the first time. The set would also include the number #12 W196 F1 car driven by Jaun Manuel Fangio and of course, a modern Mercedes F1 from 2020. Accessories would include a finish line with some rumble strips and a small marshal's post. Because this set would include 2 cars and a medium sized truck, the rest of the set would be quite minimalistic. Minifigures would include drivers for the 2 F1 cars and the truck, a marshal with flags and a spectating enthusiast.

So, that's it. That's what I would have lined up for the Speed Champions range if I were put in charge of it. Please let me know what you think of my ideas below.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by RacerRabbit