Anonknee Muss

Speed Champions 2019 - Rumours, Speculation and Discussion

@MTbingninja: that's a really good point! Like the 2015 Porsche set and the Ford Gt set the next year. Those manufacturers are direct competitors in GTLM and WEC races.

Well...please let Aston Martin and Toyota come to the next wave a/o 2020 wave :grin:

Edit: thanks Friscorays!

Edited by Daanski

5 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

For me, the possibilities that Bright Blue 1x3 plate with Chevrolet printed onto its side bring intrigue me the most. :classic:

First time anything bigger than a 1x1 plate has side printing I believe. 

19 minutes ago, Daanski said:

@MTbingninja: that's a really good point! Like the 2015 Porsche set and the Ford Gt set the next year. Those manufacturers are direct competitors in GTLM and WEC races.

Well...please let Austin Martin and Toyota come to the next wave a/o 2020 wave :grin:

Lamborghini (especially the Egoista) :wink:

6 hours ago, MTBingNinja said:

I thought of doing that for other sets but the shipping and handling from sites like eBay and Brinklink don't make this option financially reasonably I think. 

S&H really that bad? I suppose if you buying a fair few parts it’ll be bad...

Bricklink is definitely better than eBay without a doubt for specific pieces.

I built the Camaro and the McLaren last night. Very enjoyable. Some really unusual builds in them. Especially the McLaren. The rather unusual use of Nexo Knights weapon parts for the Head and Tail lights were definitely distinct and creative. The Camaro looks fantastic, but does 100% benefit from its stickers. As without them you don't have a front grill or head and tail lights. The McLaren pretty much needs at a minimum the stickers on the cockpit. It just doesn't look right without them. Especially with the clever inverted canopy they use for the bottom. Those printed sidewall hubcaps on the Camaro are far more striking and immersive on the model in hand then you would think from pictures. 

4 hours ago, imvanya said:

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?catType=P&catString=885&itemBrand=1000

Unikitty sets had a lot of 1x3 printed plates (released last year) and the Speed Champions Porsche 917K had some of those too.

I forgot about the unikitty pieces but didn’t know about the Porsche pieces. Thanks, much appreciated!

Don't really think a MOD this small deserves its own thread so I'll share here.

75894 1967 Mini Cooper S Rally-MOD into Ghostbusting Mini

31756745407_49f5439774_c.jpg

31756745417_4dd0df8428_c.jpg

31756745427_e3de524779_c.jpg

Edited by koalayummies

Nice Mini Mod! About time someone did their own take on Lego's Mini design. Eventually, someone will do the Italian Job Minis. Some liberties should be taken especially for the blue one. Maybe change the roof pieces and ditch the round plates on the front but it should be possible.

19 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Don't really think a MOD this small deserves its own thread so I'll share here.

75894 1967 Mini Cooper S Rally-MOD into Ghostbusting Mini

Saw this in Eurobricks' Flickr Group feed earlier today and thought it was freaking brilliant. :thumbup: :devil:

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 12:30 PM, Flossie said:

Wow! That is perfect. So recognisable. Fantastic MOC. Would the 5-wide Speed Champions Mini fit?

Thanks Flossie! :thumbup::classic: 

No they don't fit in the coaches current form (length wise), but have done a quick fix to the coach below. It still needs refining (maybe adjustments to the wheel base spacing and window spacing), but mocked up the build instructions for the Mini's, and although I couldn't properly recreate them in the LDD, the new cars now fit inside.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:52 PM, Daanski said:

I really like your design! Great job on that!

Thanks Daanski!

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 1:33 PM, J4ck said:

@dazzy because it is based off of a movie IP, I think it could still get accepted, you should try, you never know :wink:

Thanks for your thoughts on the subject, J4ck. :thumbup::classic: You could be right!  I think if I do submit it though, it'll just be the coach then probably mention it's compatible with the Lego official Mini.

20 hours ago, RacerRabbit said:

Nice Mini Mod! About time someone did their own take on Lego's Mini design. Eventually, someone will do the Italian Job Minis. Some liberties should be taken especially for the blue one. Maybe change the roof pieces and ditch the round plates on the front but it should be possible.

Indeed, it's really only a matter of time. I'd love to do my iteration based on the Lego Mini, but I'm limited to a digital moc at the moment, as I just can't afford the actual set to build with.

31772791427_7673e8f63e_c.jpg

Fantastic Ghostbusters Mini mod, by the way koalayummies! Looks amazing!

On 1/11/2019 at 8:08 AM, koalayummies said:

31756745407_49f5439774_c.jpg

Well, this look splendid! I think you've created a great looking MINI Ghostbuster-style! :thumbup:

I picked up the F40 yesterday, and figured i would share my thoughts on it.

While i very much anticipated the F40 (and its bigger creater expert brother had me amazed), im a bit disappointed in the set. The build feels a bit monotone, with all the red (predicatable, i know, somehow i tend to prefer the more garish looking speed champion sets). I also got caught out by the fact that it comes with a bazilion red 1x1 plates, two of which have this very small ferrari logo printed on one side, by the time i needed the two printed ones, i had already used one of them in another place by accident, so i had to take all of them off again until i found the prancing horse.

The end result also just doent look right, too many visible studs on top, and the windscreen/bonnet look all kinds of wrong. Comparing the side profile of the car to some pictures (and using the diameter of the wheels as reference), my conclusion is that the windscreen is about half as short as it should be. The front edge seems to be roughly in the right place, but the top should be drawn back by one stud. Now my first thought was to use the windscreen piece from (among others) the classic GT40 here, but i think it wont fit, as the entire assembly is 5 studs long, and the F40 only has 4 studs from windscreen edge to the rear compartment. The slope on the front also looks wrong, and in roadgoing configuration, the bumper hangs off the deck too high. maybe both issues could be solved, but the tops of the wheel arches might block a more sloped bonnet. As it is, the F40 looks very much like it has the engine in the front too me, with that massive flat bonnet and almost vertical windscreen, im getting a nissan 240z type vibe from it.

Originally i was considering picking up two F40s, one as roadgoing, one as competizione, but given that im not really impressed by the model, i think ill hold off on that, looking over the shelves yesterday at the store, there are plenty of other small sets which i feel would be a better way to spend €15 then a second awkward looking attempt at an F40

Sorry to hear you were so dissapointed with the Ferrari, I quite enjoyed building it, even though I made the same mistake as you, with the red 1x1 plates. I guess the inaccuracies don't normally bother me as much because I consider Speed Champions to be caricatures of thier real life counterparts, I mean come on the driver sits in the middle. Even though the McLaren is my favorite so far I did think the Ferrari was well done too. Oh well always interesting to hear others thoughts as well. 

Still haven't got the Minis yet, kind of on the fence with this set as I have no use for the side builds, likely to pick it up later anyway. 

On 1/17/2019 at 4:45 AM, Johnny1360 said:

I guess the inaccuracies don't normally bother me as much because I consider Speed Champions to be caricatures of thier real life counterparts, I mean come on the driver sits in the middle.

I fully appreciate that, and it isnt the caricature-ness of it that rubs me the wrong way, it is that some design choices were made which i think are entirely inferior to what could have been (the windshield mostly), and the long/flat nose make it look like a caricature of a different car imho.

Given how stunning other speed champions look (the 919H and 911RSR last year for instance), i just feel like this F40 is sub-par for the theme, which is a shame considering the iconic status of the real machine

I think of all the speed champions the AMG GT3, and Mustang road car were the furthest off. Both too narrow and long, but at certain angles looks ok. 

Yeah that blue Mustang, if that is the one you mean, is indeed way to long and narrow, comically so, like a spear or missile. Definitely one of my least favorites vehicles. 

3 hours ago, Teoh0615 said:

So will there be 2nd wave at June?:dwacko::dwacko:

The only time we’ve had a second wave was in 2017 when there were 3 single car sets in January and the fourth one was released in June as a “2nd wave”. There’s a possibility it’ll happen this year. A possibility. I meant there’s no gap in the set numbers that would indicate another set. Who knows?

1 hour ago, J4ck said:

The only time we’ve had a second wave was in 2017 when there were 3 single car sets in January and the fourth one was released in June as a “2nd wave”. There’s a possibility it’ll happen this year. A possibility. I meant there’s no gap in the set numbers that would indicate another set. Who knows?

If that were to happen, it'll be at least teased around March/April sort of time. Just like the 720S was.

I certainly don't expect a second wave but considering the size of this wave I wouldn't be surprised to see one more set, later this year.