Anonknee Muss

Speed Champions 2019 - Rumours, Speculation and Discussion

13 hours ago, RacerRabbit said:

Unfortunately not. The photo I showed was the concept car. And the production version hasn't been revealed yet.

Ahhhh. Thanks, still an awesome car!

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:03 PM, Flossie said:

I've just been thinking, an Italian Job set would have been incredible. A red, white and blue 5 wide classic Mini and Harrington Legionnaire coach that the Minis could fit in. Perfect.

I couldn't agree more, Flossie!

I had a similar thought a while back, and made a digital build of my idea, in July 2017.

It's way smaller than SC scale, but the coach is 8 wide. Was gonna submit it on LEGO Ideas, but talked/convinced myself it would get rejected. Was thinking of calling it the 'Gold heist Coach', but even then I thought it was too obvious and would infringe on the 'Mini' IP.

Anyway, sorry for going slightly off topic, folks. Hope nobody minds me posting my efforts below:

32611800148_c9bac4d5ba_c.jpg

45760939324_2c98342a8a_c.jpg

45760945094_68771a612c_c.jpg

On 12/26/2018 at 11:55 AM, jfbat said:

It's becoming a recurring thin in the Speed Champions line: the 55 euro (or thereabouts) set with the star car of the series that everybody wants, and another car and some stuff that few people care about. In fact we're paying extra for the most popular car of the series, but Lego is kind enough to at least give you some extra value for that.

I did buy the Ford set with the GT, but steered clear of the Porsche set of this year. I'm hoping the Mini set will get a discount, but have a feeling it won't...

The porsche and ford sets were a different price point though, those were the 40 bucks "two cars with minimal extras", the mini set is 50 bucks "two cars with substantial extras", like the Ford F150/model A and wave 1 porsche sets. The succesor to the ford GT and recent 911 sets is this years dodge set. (which is rather similar to wave 2's camaro set)

I agree with the assessment that Lego is bundling desirable designs with extra fluff to generate some extra cash though, and to some degree im fine with some extras, but in the end the theme is all about the cool cars, and bundling a $15 mini with $40 of extra junk is kinda crappy, i skipped the FXX-K, Porsche 917K and Ferrari museum for the same reason, too much fluff, too little cars for the money

On the positive side: they can't have designed those new wheelarches for this set only, so they're bound to pop up in another, hopefully more affordable set. Maybe even another classic mini, but if not, then at least we can build it ourselves.

On 12/27/2018 at 12:24 PM, Dazzzy said:

I had a similar thought a while back, and made a digital build of my idea, in July 2017.

It's way smaller than SC scale, but the coach is 8 wide. Was gonna submit it on LEGO Ideas, but talked/convinced myself it would get rejected. Was thinking of calling it the 'Gold heist Coach', but even then I thought it was too obvious and would infringe on the 'Mini' IP.

Anyway, sorry for going slightly off topic, folks. Hope nobody minds me posting my efforts below:

I really like your design! Great job on that!

42 minutes ago, jfbat said:

On the positive side: they can't have designed those new wheelarches for this set only, so they're bound to pop up in another, hopefully more affordable set. Maybe even another classic mini, but if not, then at least we can build it ourselves.

Good point! I'm holding my breath for the next wave of sets!

On 12/27/2018 at 11:24 AM, Dazzzy said:

Wow! That is perfect. So recognisable. Fantastic MOC. Would the 5-wide Speed Champions Mini fit?

I can personally confirm that Target has the 2019 sets in the back (and employees will get them for you if you ask really nicely). You know, if you just can't wait another 30-something hours... 

OLTABik.jpg

Follow up, with two bags built:

The building techniques for the '67 Mini are really neat--there are a few MOCers out there who work at 5-wide, but in my experience the end results tend to be a bit brittle. Thanks to copious use of new parts, this one manages to be really solid.

The Dakar buggy though is my favorite. I've built the entire Speed Champions range (with the exception of the 2015 Silver Arrows McLaren), and it's like no other car in the line, both in terms of building experience and in terms of the look of the end product. I know it's a polarizing model, but it's really true to the source material, and seeing it in the plastic you can absolutely imagine it tearing across a desert stage.

Edited by OpenBagTwo
Review-ish

On 12/31/2018 at 12:28 PM, J4ck said:

Does anyone know UK availablility? 2018 were exclusive to Argos (Sainsbury’s had them at one point) and obviously Lego.

2018 wasn’t really exclusive to Argos from what I saw, in fact, Argos was where I had the most trouble finding them, they never stock all the regular £13 cars. Sainsbury’s, Tesco And Asda always stock the main 4 cars and maybe the £30 Set. Toy retailers like entertainer and toymaster stock the larger sets too. I most recently found the Ferrari garage set there.

anyhow, got the Senna and F40 form Lego shop the other day. Love the designs! I love that you can make the F40 the original car, and the Senna looks better than the real thing

Picked up my first SC car of the new wave, the Ferrari and I must say for a box shaped car it is quite an interesting build. Really hoping the rest of the 2019 sets are this good, it really does seem to me that the whole Speed Champions builds have been getting better each year. Loved last year's builds and looking forward towards more great and interesting builds this year. 

1 hour ago, Johnny1360 said:

Picked up my first SC car of the new wave, the Ferrari and I must say for a box shaped car it is quite an interesting build. Really hoping the rest of the 2019 sets are this good, it really does seem to me that the whole Speed Champions builds have been getting better each year. Loved last year's builds and looking forward towards more great and interesting builds this year. 

I have them all and I must say some of the building techniques are simply top notch! The windowed doors on the McLaren Senna for example is actually an upside down windshield piece placed in such a way that it doesn't feel so loose.

The black Dodge Charger is also built pretty good. Using SNOT techinques on both the front and behind.

And of course, the way the old Mini transitions from 4 wide to 5 wide is very satisfying to build. If only the City mudguards were designed like the ones on the Mini.

Thanks @Digger of Bricks. I didn’t know the nexo knights spear head in the Senna set was trans-red. From the images I thought it was the trans neon orange colour (can’t remember Lego’s official name for it). 

Edited by J4ck

38 minutes ago, J4ck said:

Thanks @Digger of Bricks. I didn’t know the nexo knights spear head in the Senna set was trans-red. From the images I thought it was the trans neon orange colour (can’t remember Lego’s official name for it). 

What surprised me, were some of the plates in these sets with printing on their sides*huh* :distressed:

NE_1HY2019_SC_NewDecorations.jpg

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

What surprised me, were some of the plates in these sets with printing on their sides*huh* :distressed:

Indeed, most notably the Ferrari insignia on the side of a 1x1 plate, so tiny. Also the black 1x1 plate with the red printed side for the tail lights very nice touch. 

13 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

*insert image here*

I think the first time Lego did it was with the very first Lego Minecraft set (the ideas set). Such a rarity. So cool.

I purchased the Challenger set and the Camaro Nascar, really beautiful sets!   The SNOT construction was top notch.  Some of the stickers are tough to apply, have to be patient and apply it, I used a knife at times and held the stickers at the tip of the knife when placing them.  Would be really challenging for a 7 year-old.  Looking to buy the red mini-cooper solo if it pops up on the internet. 

7 minutes ago, MTBingNinja said:

I purchased the Challenger set and the Camaro Nascar, really beautiful sets!   The SNOT construction was top notch.  Some of the stickers are tough to apply, have to be patient and apply it, I used a knife at times and held the stickers at the tip of the knife when placing them.  Would be really challenging for a 7 year-old.  Looking to buy the red mini-cooper solo if it pops up on the internet. 

You could use the instructions and buy the pieces :shrug_oh_well:

Reading this review made me appreciate stickers (who knew it would be so easy :grin:):

http://www.newelementary.com/2019/01/review-all-lego-speed-champions-sets-2019.html#more

Edited by J4ck

Just now, J4ck said:

You could use the instructions and buy the pieces :shrug_oh_well:

Reading this review made me appreciate stickers (who knew it would be so easy :grin:):

http://www.newelementary.com/2019/01/review-all-lego-speed-champions-sets-2019.html#more

I thought of doing that for other sets but the shipping and handling from sites like eBay and Brinklink don't make this option financially reasonably I think. 

9 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Indeed, most notably the Ferrari insignia on the side of a 1x1 plate, so tiny. Also the black 1x1 plate with the red printed side for the tail lights very nice touch. 

44 minutes ago, J4ck said:

I think the first time Lego did it was with the very first Lego Minecraft set (the ideas set). Such a rarity. So cool.

For me, the possibilities that Bright Blue 1x3 plate with Chevrolet printed onto its side bring intrigue me the most. :classic:

Another great aspect of the series is that Lego is able to have competing companies to highlight their sets.   You have the Camaro popping up along side sets by Dodge and Porshe.