Anonknee Muss

Speed Champions 2019 - Rumours, Speculation and Discussion

I like those roof pieces, they don't look like the regular roof/hood piece, they look more rounded without the little concave grooves on the sides. Are these new or have I just never seen them before, I suspect the latter since nobody has mentioned them as being new. I also hope to see many recolors of that new fender piece, I wonder if they also have that little gap, like the others that always drives me crazy, if you don't put a inverted slope Brick behind it. 

So they make a Mini Cooper that's adorable, the best possibly built, AND with cool new parts & recolors... but they have to ruin it putting it in an overpriced set with a car that no one asked for and crap that no one wants.

On 12/16/2018 at 7:13 PM, OpenBagTwo said:

The Brothers Brick review kinda highlighted to me how unfortunate it is that SC-scale can't support a passenger side

But it's not like it could realistically be made

1 hour ago, anothergol said:

So they make a Mini Cooper that's adorable, the best possibly built, AND with cool new parts & recolors... but they have to ruin it putting it in an overpriced set with a car that no one asked for and crap that no one wants.

My thoughts exactly. 

Same for the green 911 they made for 2018 in my view.

If I wanted a single car, with minimal stickers I'd certainly prefer something like the F40.

Edited by TeriXeri

3 hours ago, anothergol said:

But it's not like it could realistically be made

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

My thoughts exactly. 

If I wanted a single car, with minimal stickers I'd certainly prefer something like the F40.

Yep, guess who’s gonna look at the instructions and build it in another colour :wink:

Edited by J4ck

On 12/17/2018 at 8:47 PM, TeriXeri said:

My thoughts exactly. 

I think that is still a bit different, i absolutely love the 911 RSR from the double set, GT3/GTE cars are by far my favorite class within the SC theme, and it is a cracking rendition

That mini buggy though.. only  dakar fans will even know WTF it is, never mind want to pay for this shocking example, lego locking a very good version of a very iconic mini into a set with that monstrosity is a crying shame. I'd have bought that mini in a single set withouth a second though, as it is, it is the easiest skip in the theme.

37 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

I think that is still a bit different, i absolutely love the 911 RSR from the double set, GT3/GTE cars are by far my favorite class within the SC theme, and it is a cracking rendition

I just don't like the stickered style of headlights on some speed champion cars.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 12/16/2018 at 7:03 PM, hachiroku said:

The windscreens of the Mini Cooper are printed. That's a really nice surprise.

Really? I didn’t notice, cheers!

8 hours ago, AllanSmith said:

There are review photos of the Chevrolet Camaro, Ferrari F40 and Mini's on Brickset Flickr page.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brickset/albums

Enjoy :)

Oh awesome! Thanks Allan!

I’ve seen the prints on the windscreen, I thought there was a print on the front - nope, it’s on the side and they’re good prints!

I too love the green and white Porsche's from the 911 RSR GT3/GTE.   The green one is simple and elegant, the white one is marvelous with all the stickers and curves.   My favorite SC set overall for the price point.  

On 12/18/2018 at 10:22 PM, vectormatic said:

That mini buggy though.. only  dakar fans will even know WTF it is, never mind want to pay for this shocking example, lego locking a very good version of a very iconic mini into a set with that monstrosity is a crying shame. I'd have bought that mini in a single set withouth a second though, as it is, it is the easiest skip in the theme.

Completely agree.  Love the classic MINI but had no idea what the buggy is supposed to be without Googling.

They could have done the rally version of the Countryman if they wanted to go down this route instead which would have been more recognisable to more people.

Shame.

Edited by rriggs

Oh, true, that's another funny point of that set. It would have been cooler with just a modern rally Mini Countryman. But instead of that, they made a bigger one, with bigger wheels that is probably even more expensive than a smaller one :S

PS: The R/T logos of the Charger are printed too.

3 hours ago, MTBingNinja said:

I too love the green and white Porsche's from the 911 RSR GT3/GTE.   The green one is simple and elegant, the white one is marvelous with all the stickers and curves.   My favorite SC set overall for the price point.  

The GT3 is really underrated because it came with the classic 911 and most of people see it as "the other car they had to sell with the cool one", but is easily one of the best SC cars they made.

"Shame" "Monstrosity"... Lol, you guys are kind of bumming me out... I'm digging the Mini set, even the Dakar buggy. The real life one looks ridiculous (I had to Google it too) but here in SC scale it's quite a cool beast. It's got some interesting shapes with a good looking livery and makes for a hilarious contrast in scale to the tiny OG Mini (which I think was kind of the point, sort of an inside joke about non-mini modern MINIs). The buggy will stick out like a sore thumb towering over road racing cars like the AMG and LMPs on my shelf, but that's the fun of it. It's the clown shoe. Bring some of the Dakar T4 class semi trucks into Speed Champions line and it'll be a riot of color and scale, even if no one knows what they are.

The thing that riles me a little about the Mini set is the pricepoint is kind of out of whack... There's $30 in cars and $20 of some scaffolding bits and a couple tiny toolboxes. The Ford GT + GT40 and 911RSR + 930 sets nailed the pricepoint and content balance. (And since I'm sharing opposing opinions, I bought the Porsche box mostly for the modern 911 RSR to pair with the redone 919. The 911's crisp shaping and compactness put it up amongst the best of the SC series builds, imo.)

Others on my will-buy list: the F40 is a lifelong favorite. As a SC it's a bit too cute tho, begging for some mods. The Senna is interesting if only as a parts-pack, it's a hideous machine in an odd color scheme but makes for some great Lego shapes.

YMMV

I'm stoked the series is continuing and that the quality in design and parts across all the sets continues to improve.

18 hours ago, rriggs said:

Completely agree.  Love the classic MINI but had no idea what the buggy is supposed to be without Googling.

They could have done the rally version of the Countryman if they wanted to go down this route instead which would have been more recognisable to more people.

Shame.

To be fair, Mini hasn't raced in the WRC for a few years now. I was expecting a Dakar Countryman myself. But, the manufacturers associated with the Speed Champions range would rather have products of their more up to date models so, I guess the buggy has a place in the series. It's certainly a unique machine.

15 hours ago, prototyp said:

"Shame" "Monstrosity"... Lol, you guys are kind of bumming me out... I'm digging the Mini set, even the Dakar buggy. The real life one looks ridiculous (I had to Google it too) but here in SC scale it's quite a cool beast. It's got some interesting shapes with a good looking livery and makes for a hilarious contrast in scale to the tiny OG Mini (which I think was kind of the point, sort of an inside joke about non-mini modern MINIs). The buggy will stick out like a sore thumb towering over road racing cars like the AMG and LMPs on my shelf, but that's the fun of it. It's the clown shoe. Bring some of the Dakar T4 class semi trucks into Speed Champions line and it'll be a riot of color and scale, even if no one knows what they are.

The thing that riles me a little about the Mini set is the pricepoint is kind of out of whack... There's $30 in cars and $20 of some scaffolding bits and a couple tiny toolboxes. The Ford GT + GT40 and 911RSR + 930 sets nailed the pricepoint and content balance. (And since I'm sharing opposing opinions, I bought the Porsche box mostly for the modern 911 RSR to pair with the redone 919. The 911's crisp shaping and compactness put it up amongst the best of the SC series builds, imo.)

Others on my will-buy list: the F40 is a lifelong favorite. As a SC it's a bit too cute tho, begging for some mods. The Senna is interesting if only as a parts-pack, it's a hideous machine in an odd color scheme but makes for some great Lego shapes.

YMMV

I'm stoked the series is continuing and that the quality in design and parts across all the sets continues to improve.

Haha, dont mind us man, everyone has their own view on these sets, if you dig the mini, by all means get it and enjoy! Personally im sticking to the F40 and the nascar whatever it is (camaro? cant seem to remember, i just dig how it looks), i refuse to pay the "scenery tax" on the big sets, and on this one the buggy just really isnt my thing. If they'd made it a 60s rally set with one of the rivals to match the mini i wouldve been more enthusiast

I agree with you on the 911 RSR by the way, it and the 488GT3 are two of my favorite SC cars, and have an honourary place on my desk, the sharpness and accuracy of the shape and colour scheme is just amazing, it looks really sharp, and its a far cry from the wave 1 911s. The green 70s 911 is nice and all, but the GT3/GTE cars are the highlight of the SC lineup for me.

I've just been thinking, an Italian Job set would have been incredible. A red, white and blue 5 wide classic Mini and Harrington Legionnaire coach that the Minis could fit in. Perfect.

I like how the series lends itself to other suggestive themes very intentionally. Like with very little effort, or just imagination, you can do the Steve McQueen chase scene with the 60's mustang and the charger, or Fast and Furious, or the 488 GT3 clearly being Christine Neilson's championship car and pilot, both driver and car, secondary stickers and helmets for both Ferrari F1's for both Kimi and Vettel (need both sets for the team), McLaren F1 obviously being Button, and many other details that add to the richness and how close they can come to doing something without a license... The mercedes pit team manager? Doesn't get much more blatant than that ;D Oh, and the "triple crown" P1, LeFerrari, and 918 that Top Gear made notorious that every other journalist copied? Some might call these easter eggs but it shows the dedication of authenticity to the series Lego has that can't really be demonstrated in other series. 

I totally agree with ya'll on the John Cooper Work Buggy. Still, I wait for my final judgement till I have this set in my hands. Sometimes Lego really surprises me, and I hope this Green Monster will turn into a Green Fairy when build. 

If not: then it will be quite a miss for Lego in my eyes. They should've made instead a street car John Cooper, something like below. That would have looked awesome next to the S Rally version. 

MINI~Cooper~JCW~(1).jpg

I think the Porsche RSR is one of the best models made in this series till now. I still haven't build the Turbo. 

On 12/24/2018 at 1:14 PM, Daanski said:

I totally agree with ya'll on the John Cooper Work Buggy. Still, I wait for my final judgement till I have this set in my hands. Sometimes Lego really surprises me, and I hope this Green Monster will turn into a Green Fairy when build. 

If not: then it will be quite a miss for Lego in my eyes. They should've made instead a street car John Cooper, something like below. That would have looked awesome next to the S Rally version. 

MINI~Cooper~JCW~(1).jpg

I think the Porsche RSR is one of the best models made in this series till now. I still haven't build the Turbo. 

If Mini were to continue their presence in the SC range, my suggestion would be a stand-alone £12.99 car set of not the John Cooper Works but the new John Cooper Works GP.

JCW_GP_concept_444b-1-1050x707.jpg

I saw this thing at Goodwood this year in concept form but Mini have recently announced that they'll be building it for 2020. This would be ideal for the Speed Champions line! If it was, it'd be dark grey with red wheels with black 10 spoke wheel covers (The same ones preivously used on the McLaren Senna and P1 and both Audis.) And of course, would have a trackside accessory. Might have a crack at it myself in the new year.

Edited by RacerRabbit

On 12/24/2018 at 9:21 PM, RacerRabbit said:

If Mini were to continue their presence in the SC rage, my suggestion would be a stand-alone £12.99 car set of not the John Cooper Works but the new John Cooper Works GP.

*insert picture here*

I saw this thing at Goodwood this year in concept form but Mini have recently announced that they'll be building it for 2020. This would be ideal for the Speed Champions line! If it was, it'd be dark grey with red wheels with black 10 spoke wheel covers (The same ones preivously used on the McLaren Senna and P1 and both Audis.) And of course, would have a trackside accessory. Might have a crack at it myself in the new year.

Hey that would be great! Has it been revealed in any other colours? It’s just dark stone grey Lego cars aren’t my thing, it’s look great, don’t get me wrong, but I’m just curious if there’s a chance of another colour?

42 minutes ago, J4ck said:

Hey that would be great! Has it been revealed in any other colours? It’s just dark stone grey Lego cars aren’t my thing, it’s look great, don’t get me wrong, but I’m just curious if there’s a chance of another colour?

Unfortunately not. The photo I showed was the concept car. And the production version hasn't been revealed yet.

It's becoming a recurring thin in the Speed Champions line: the 55 euro (or thereabouts) set with the star car of the series that everybody wants, and another car and some stuff that few people care about. In fact we're paying extra for the most popular car of the series, but Lego is kind enough to at least give you some extra value for that.

I did buy the Ford set with the GT, but steered clear of the Porsche set of this year. I'm hoping the Mini set will get a discount, but have a feeling it won't...