Anonknee Muss

Speed Champions 2019 - Rumours, Speculation and Discussion

The Brick Fan website has published official pictures of the Ferrari F40 and you can also build a normal road version of the F40. Great, I can now add 2 versions to my Ferrari Dealership MOC. :wub:

Just now, AllanSmith said:

The Brick Fan website has published official pictures of the Ferrari F40 and you can also build a normal road version of the F40. Great, I can now add 2 versions to my Ferrari Dealership MOC. :wub:

I've seen! I suggested earlier that we'd have to turn the Competizione into the road version ourselves but it looks like we won't have to. Plus, 4 different rim styles!! Obviously, you'd go for the broad 5 spoke ones.

Looking closely at a Ferrari F40 YouTube video clip from LEtsGO  the Ferrari logo on the side of the red plate and the red on the side of the black plate at the tail lights appear to be printed on.

23 minutes ago, AllanSmith said:

Looking closely at a Ferrari F40 YouTube video clip from LEtsGO  the Ferrari logo on the side of the red plate and the red on the side of the black plate at the tail lights appear to be printed on.

Just like the Porsche writing on the side of the 917K model from 2016. I did mention that Lego would never make a sticker that small. Far too fiddly.

31 minutes ago, RacerRabbit said:

Just like the Porsche writing on the side of the 917K model from 2016. I did mention that Lego would never make a sticker that small. Far too fiddly.

I hope that it is printed and probably is but as I also said before they have put stickers on such small parts before. Most recently the rally car from last year has several on 1x1 cheese slopes and 1x2 slope modified (cut corner). 

3 hours ago, AllanSmith said:

I only recall 4 other times Lego has printed on the SIDE of plate: micro scale Minecraft.

48 minutes ago, J4ck said:

I only recall 4 other times Lego has printed on the SIDE of plate: micro scale Minecraft.

They also printed on the side of a 1x1 plate in Ninjago City!

On 11/27/2018 at 3:30 PM, AllanSmith said:

Thank you, LEGO. *need to wear woven loafers without socks intensifies*.

Strange the blue Camaro is obviously meant to be a NASCAR vehicle and looks quite similar to last year's #5 that was retired this year. I wonder if that was so they didn't have to obtain a license from NASCAR. 

Of all the Dodges... they chose fast n furious and a generic charger? I love the whole speed champions line, but this set might be the least interesting of them all. 

16 minutes ago, Lawndart said:

Of all the Dodges... they chose fast n furious and a generic charger? I love the whole speed champions line, but this set might be the least interesting of them all. 

See this is why I love LEGO. I love it :laugh:

Nice. A Mini in 5-wide - I wouldn't have thought they'd do this. In my opinion that's a huge step in the right direction - to vary the sizes of vehicles more to get a nice graduation between different types of vehicles, A 5w Mini also fits very well in my own range of widths. (Consequently an SC Charger should  be 7-wide and rather have a 6w - or even better: a 6 to 5 - windscreen. The 75893 version doesn't work for me at all proportionwise, I must say. Also mudguard parts don't look good on a Charger model in my opinion, it's a typical design element of the original Charger that the wheels are situated rather within the body and don't stick out.)

I also like the F40 (though there are already some nice MOCs in minifig scale), especially that black line is done very well, I guess. Don't like the "shaping with stickers" sections, though, but well, stickers can be omitted. The studs don't bother me, they'll disappear anyway when setting down the model which I'll try for sure. 

36 minutes ago, ER0L said:

Nice. A Mini in 5-wide - I wouldn't have thought they'd do this. In my opinion that's a huge step in the right direction - to vary the sizes of vehicles more to get a nice graduation between different types of vehicles, A 5w Mini also fits very well in my own range of widths. (Consequently an SC Charger should  be 7-wide and rather have a 6w - or even better: a 6 to 5 - windscreen. The 75893 version doesn't work for me at all proportionwise, I must say. Also mudguard parts don't look good on a Charger model in my opinion, it's a typical design element of the original Charger that the wheels are situated rather within the body and don't stick out.)

I also like the F40 (though there are already some nice MOCs in minifig scale), especially that black line is done very well, I guess. Don't like the "shaping with stickers" sections, though, but well, stickers can be omitted. The studs don't bother me, they'll disappear anyway when setting down the model which I'll try for sure. 

Maybe it's a Mopar Charger :D

1968-dodge-charger-hellephant.jpg

But what you said it's true. I made a Charger a couple of times and I always saw it weird:

27014232708_dc236f0985_c.jpg

The wheels should be within the body. Maybe in my MOC that problem isn't so noticeable since the body is a little more wider than 6 studs (because of the curved tiles at the sides), but the problem is still there.

PS: I'm still intrigued with the mudguards of the classic Mini. I can't figure out if they are new pieces or not.

Edited by hachiroku

The reference seems to be this:

sc0516-243428_2@2x.jpg?1463748629000

I think, similar to the F40's standard-Competizione conversion, the Charger will have the option to remove the supercharger. I appreciate that they do include it, since Dominic Torreto's Charger is definitely an iconic car.

As to the width of the wheels, a quick Bricklink search shows that the narrow wheel is available in black, so if you are a lucky owner of 4 of those, some Fabuland tires and a few light gray pin connectors, you should be able to do something like this:

46101013841_79d59b4c9a.jpg

Edited by imvanya

I really like this wave. The Dodge srt and the F40 is definite buy for me and the Camaro too, but I'll modify it to a streetcar. The McLaren looks cool too, but not my favourite, either the Mini set. Nice to see that, the Charger is based off on that car, the only difference is that the Lego model has a "Hemi" logo on the back, in the red stripe. Probably there will be a flat hood piece for the Charger to swap with the super charger. The printed sided plates are awesome, and it looks like the Camaro has one too.(The Chevrolet sign on the back) The driver of the Challenger has a beautiful black suit with a white Demon logo and some stripes.:cry_happy:

Btw, is the Challenger the first SC car with actual side mirrors?

22 hours ago, hachiroku said:

Maybe it's a Mopar Charger :D

The wheels should be within the body. Maybe in my MOC that problem isn't so noticeable since the body is a little more wider than 6 studs (because of the curved tiles at the sides), but the problem is still there.

Oh dear, that "Hellephant" is one ugly conversion ... :wink:

Regarding your model: True, the wider body improves the situation regarding the wheels, however, there's still the problem of the much too narrow passenger compartment - which is due to the SC style, I know, but that was my thought: If they're willing to modify their range of widths to get a more realistic ratio between vehicles (and a much more realistic look of the cars themselves, take a look at the Mini Cooper which is by far the most realistic SC model to date in my opinion) - why don't they do the same thing in the other direction and widen larger cars like a Charger? Because on a 7-wide Charger you may use a 6w windscreen and the whole thing will look much better (just like a 4w windscreen on a 5w model). But I'll stop complaining now - I'm glad there is something like this treat of a Mini Cooper anyway.

Im not a fan of the charger, the hood is just a flat deck, the rear is also waaay too flat, missing out on the curves.

The challenger seems to have the same wheelcaps as the nascar camaro, but without prints to suggest high sidewall drag radials

So far the F40 is a definite yes, might even get two, one for the competizione, one for the regular version. Might also get the Nascar, even though nascar doesnt appeal to me, the car looks pretty cool. The rest is an easy pass for me though, unless i run into the dodge set at 50% in a clearance or something

The Speed Champions line is a fun idea but it seems to me that they all suffer from being much, much too narrow (apart from the mini), which makes them less desirable to collect. You could try and argue that they are stylised versions of the cars they represent (in the same way Microfighters or Brickheadz are cartoony) but I don't think they're meant to be. They're meant to be pretty realistic models and I think they should have bit the bullet and started making them wider a while ago.

6 hours ago, Retro said:

The Speed Champions line is a fun idea but it seems to me that they all suffer from being much, much too narrow (apart from the mini), which makes them less desirable to collect. You could try and argue that they are stylised versions of the cars they represent (in the same way Microfighters or Brickheadz are cartoony) but I don't think they're meant to be. They're meant to be pretty realistic models and I think they should have bit the bullet and started making them wider a while ago.

Yes, but talking about the scale, these modes must be 7L wide: 6 too narrow, 8 too wide - I tried some ways to make them more "correct". Then it will require a lot of completely new molds, including the odd-wide windshields. Also, taking into account the even-wide tradition for System-based models, it may make them a finance fault (very expensive to sale + too expensive to produce).
By the way, I love how the TLG managed to make the F40 Ferrari. It perfectly matches my MOC, so I'll share some hybrid version lately that makes it more authentic :sweet:

I like the Speed Champions line in general, but I really love the old Rally Mini. Going 5-wide was definitely the right choice - too sad that it only comes together with the "modern" Rally Car (which looks awful in my opinion)...