Anonknee Muss

Speed Champions 2019 - Rumours, Speculation and Discussion

2 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Unless Lego is handling these things on a brand-by-brand basis, a license partnership with Dodge means that Chrysler, Jeep, and Ram are also open for future set possibilities with Lego, right? 

All those brands fall under FCA. A license partnership with Dodge would mean a license partnership with FCA, which may or may open up the chance for Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Maserati, and Lancia as well.

6 hours ago, TheLegoPerson9 said:

All those brands fall under FCA. A license partnership with Dodge would mean a license partnership with FCA, which may or may open up the chance for Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Maserati, and Lancia as well. 

Stating the obvious here, but Ferrari is FCA as well, even if they operate more autonomously then the other brands, so the FCA connection is already there.

7 hours ago, TheLegoPerson9 said:

I just wanna see what classic car or two we’ll be seeing, assuming that we will get at least one. I don’t see why we wouldn’t, though.

I can certainly see a classic Mini and a 1968 Charger/1970 Challenger if that Mini and Dodge info turns out to be true. 

Where’s this info came from?

I'd say a Mini set would be fitting for 2019 as that year marks the original Mini's 60th birthday. So I'm expecting it'll be something like a Mini Countryman WRC with an old Mini Cooper S Rally Car.

On 9/28/2018 at 3:34 AM, J4ck said:

Where’s this info came from?

Earlier in the thread, it was mentioned that Mini and Dodge might be in this wave.

21 hours ago, TheLegoPerson9 said:

Earlier in the thread, it was mentioned that Mini and Dodge might be in this wave.

I can’t believ I missed that. Both companies I love so I’m happy if this rumour is indeed true.

On 9/27/2018 at 8:13 PM, AllanSmith said:

I was shown a list with set numbers and prices. There will be 3 single car sets and 2 double car sets going by the prices. Was told that the double sets are of Mini's and Dodge's. Will have to wait an see :)

Shame I was hoping for a single set Mini, we’ll see.

On 10/4/2018 at 11:26 PM, J4ck said:

Shame I was hoping for a single set Mini, we’ll see.

Double car set is better because we have more of a chance of getting an old Mini. Probably.

17 minutes ago, RacerRabbit said:

Double car set is better because we have more of a chance of getting an old Mini. Probably.

Was told it was on old Mini and a new Mini. Will wait and see :)

23 minutes ago, AllanSmith said:

Was told it was on old Mini and a new Mini. Will wait and see :)

I'm guessing they'll be rally cars. Fingers crossed!

If Mini is going to be the $30 set, I assume Dodge will be the $50 set. I wonder if they’ll do another truck+car, like a 2017-2018 Ram and a 1968-1970 Charger. I’d like to see them try their hand at a truck again because with the overall improvements in the line, I think a new truck would be a massive improvement from the Raptor. Regardless, given that each wave since 2016 has had at least one older car, with this year having four, I think an old Mini and an old Charger/Challenger would fit right in. 

Also, with Speed Champions now being available at Wal-Mart and Target in the U.S. after TRU went bust, I wonder if that could increase our chances for a second wave of sets in 2019, especially since the inital info doesn’t mention a fourth $15 set or the usual big $100 set. We wouldn’t know about a second wave right now anyway, so perhaps we’ll get lucky in 2019. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking.

Edited by TheLegoPerson9

6 hours ago, RacerRabbit said:

I'm guessing they'll be rally cars. Fingers crossed!

From memory, one is a rally car :)

An FCA licensing deal that resulted in a Dodge or two would be an enormous disappointment. Seriously you go with a Challenger/Charger over an Alfa or Maserati? And, of course, if Lego is going to embrace the Rally subtheme, why not give us all what we really want: a Lancia Stratos?

On 10/12/2018 at 1:38 PM, OpenBagTwo said:

... Seriously you go with a Challenger/Charger over an Alfa or Maserati? And, of course, if Lego is going to embrace the Rally subtheme, why not give us all what we really want: a Lancia Stratos?

Oh yes, just my thoughts. Also, I don't think a pickup truck has anything to do in a "Speed Champions" theme... 

11 hours ago, jpx said:

Oh yes, just my thoughts. Also, I don't think a pickup truck has anything to do in a "Speed Champions" theme... 

Except they released a Ford Raptor+‘32 Ford hot rod transporter set back in 2016. The Raptor wasn’t that great, imo, but if they’ve done it before, they could well very try again if they wanted to. My second guess is some sort of drag race thing. There really isn’t much to do with a $50 set themed after Dodge. The third and most unlikely guess is a stock car set with both the winged warriors.

I’d love a Stratos or any classic Maserati myself, btw.

Edited by TheLegoPerson9

1 hour ago, TheLegoPerson9 said:

Except they released a Ford Raptor+‘32 Ford hot rod transporter set back in 2016. The Raptor wasn’t that great, imo, but if they’ve done it before, they could well very try again if they wanted to. My second guess is some sort of drag race thing. There really isn’t much to do with a $50 set themed after Dodge. The third and most unlikely guess is a stock car set with both the winged warriors.

I’d love a Stratos or any classic Maserati myself, btw.

I'd say the most likely Dodge car to make it into the SC range has to be the Challenger. But a Charger Daytona/Superbird would also make a fine addition.

They could do what they did with the GT and GT40 with a current-generation Dodge Charger and, say, an old-school Charger similar to the one in Dukes of Hazard (but not the General Lee itself, just the same model)

50 minutes ago, jonwil said:

They could do what they did with the GT and GT40 with a current-generation Dodge Charger and, say, an old-school Charger similar to the one in Dukes of Hazard (but not the General Lee itself, just the same model)

Thing is that the Dodge set seems to be the $50 set, which is why I remembered that Raptor+hot rod set. It could still be a two car set, but idk how this one will turn out.

4 hours ago, RacerRabbit said:

I'd say the most likely Dodge car to make it into the SC range has to be the Challenger. But a Charger Daytona/Superbird would also make a fine addition.

As unlikely as it is, having Petty’s #43 Superbird in LEGO would be awesome. I really do wish it would be some sort of vintage stock car race scene with the two, but I just don’t see it happening :(

Edited by TheLegoPerson9

14 hours ago, TheLegoPerson9 said:

Thing is that the Dodge set seems to be the $50 set, which is why I remembered that Raptor+hot rod set. It could still be a two car set, but idk how this one will turn out.

As unlikely as it is, having Petty’s #43 Superbird in LEGO would be awesome. I really do wish it would be some sort of vintage stock car race scene with the two, but I just don’t see it happening :(

I agree that would be the most impactful idea involving Dodge, but doesn’t that also require the NASCAR license? But reguardless, Lego continuing the Speed Champions line means what ever it is will be of substance. It has too if the product line is going to continue beyond 2019. 

9 hours ago, Cooter said:

I think that it's hard to create a good replica of Alfa 4c and Maserati; Lancia Stratos would be perfect in Alitalia livery

lancia_stratos_v1_pic_1.jpg

Like this :)

9 hours ago, AllanSmith said:

*insert image here*

Like this :)

Try using blue render, you can get some really nice images of your models.

On 10/16/2018 at 12:24 PM, Lawndart said:

I agree that would be the most impactful idea involving Dodge, but doesn’t that also require the NASCAR license? But reguardless, Lego continuing the Speed Champions line means what ever it is will be of substance. It has too if the product line is going to continue beyond 2019. 

And I’m sure it will. They just introduced new fenders, and I’m sure we will get at least one new color of those. I don’t think that would not make much sense to release a new fender mould if the theme wasn’t planned to continue for sometime. Even now, the bigger SC fenders are only seen in SC sets. Only 3 of the 24 sets that have them aren’t SC. We’ve seen the windscreens outside of SC, like with the CITY Speed Record Car, but I think those are also predominantly in SC. 

Beyond that, LEGO knows that there’s a market for this stuff, and unlike other themes that came and went, this theme still has a lot they could do, which only expands as new parts are added, be it in SC or elsewhere. Also, Ferrari and Bugatti are not particularly easy licenses to obtain, at least in the die-cast car world. LEGO can do it because they’re a massive company, but I think I’ve heard those licenses are expensive. I don’t remember, though.

Also, given the Creator Mini Cooper and the rumored SC Mini set, it’s safe to assume that BMW is among the licenses as well. Furthermore, if FCA is on board, then LEGO has all of the big three, which means that  LEGO would then have access to pretty much all the old muscle cars, from Hemi Cuda to Buick GSX to Olds 442 and so on. An FCA license would also open the door to some really cool Italian classics. As far as NASCAR goes, it would probably require more licenses, but given that Richard Petty has done non-profit work regarding children before, I’m sure he wouldn’t mind working with LEGO should they want to recreate one of his cars.

Edited by TheLegoPerson9