stebai

[MOC] Lego Ghost Train ride

Well... After I completed my Dodgems (also on Eurobricks) I hinted that next up I would have a bash at a Ghost Train... It seemed at the time like a relatively easy idea - there were plenty of ideal minifigs readily available and I had learned quite a lot about making rides move through Lego designs and my own experiments. Anyway a year passed and I was struggling with how to achieve my goals, a moving interior with ghoulish displays and a series of trains traveling around the exhibits. I had almost consigned myself to using a gravity and chain system (tho the tests were far from reliable) when Lego, God Bless 'em, produced the Joker Mansion set. A couple of purchases from Bricklink later and I had the solution. So here it is...

42294579570_c0b734311d_c.jpg

There are four Trains for the brave mini figs to ride.... forever...

42294579870_f4d96a1a43_c.jpg

The four mini displays are:  Witches at Work, Graveyard Ghouls, It's Alive! & Drac's Back (and he's brought the missus)

29166076877_d1f2e55164_c.jpg

I used a cut-away back & side design so you could actually see the interior moving, but I wanted a solid roof so as to keep it a bit dark and dingy. The entry has a swinging cobweb and the exit has the train pulled through chains. I tried to remember as much as I could about the fairground rides of my youth (a long time ago now.. 52 and still proudly "playing" with LEGO!) I did buy some after market green LED's but you don't need them, there are also two sets of Lego lights in the main build acting as spotlights in each corner.

42294584560_95dc19bdb9_c.jpg

After a few teething problems with the drag lines on the trains, it actually all worked out far, far better than I ever hoped. The trains run reliably and realistically. I rather like that they slow down, and judder about, it's in keeping with the real Ghost trains and was an unexpected side effect of the mechanism used.

29166083837_b1d6f92115_c.jpg

OK here's the video so you can see the GT in action!

Thanks for viewing.

So next is..... a well earned break.... who am I kidding..

Edited by stebai
bad grammar

Oh this is very very spooky!!! The video is superb - love the music and the transitions suit the subject perfectly!!

Now to the lego itself... I have only ever been on a couple of ghost rides and I have to say this seems the perfect recreation of what I recall. As you say, the closed roof gives the right dark feel and the green lights give an eerie glow.

The four compact scenes are really well done - great variety. I think “it’s alive” would be my favourite. The little carts are very cute. The motion is great and I particularly like how the exhibits turn as the carts pass them. I want to be a minifigure on this ride!

And that bone writing is brilliant!!

What a masterpiece!!

That’s absolutely fabulous.  Totally has the look and feel of a fairground ride, including the slightly jerky motion I remember as a kid.  The scenes are very cool and I admire the attention to the little details too. 

Can’t wait to see what falls out on your next fairground build.  

Dem bones, dem bones, oh what a superb creation, LEGO couldn't do better themselves. Just in time for a Halloween display too, great job. I dare say this should be an IDEA submission. 

Very cool. the Letters are great, nice done with all those bones.

Think it's amazing build, all those moving and rotating stuff and lights and details (like the spiderweb 'door' and that spooky guy with the handle). I really like those little displays. Nice video too.

Only one thing I missed. Maybe an idea to put on a strobe light?

Well, it also gives me more ideas now for my truck :wink:

Edited by neonic

This is brilliant! It gives a full ghost train vibe, from the trains themselves (very neat and fitting!) to the little scary displays, and the spooky decor of the external and internals. The externals of which look perfectly detailed, not too much, not too little, but everything one would expect to see. And the lettering is a really nice finishing touch! I wish I'd have done something like this! 

That is awesome!! It looks perfect (the sign made from bones is just genius!!) and the little vignettes are nicely detailed too. The video's great too!!

Nice (spooky!) work!!