LM71Blackbird

[COR - FB - Class 6 ship] Schooner "Northern Gannet"

Schooner "Northern Gannet"

Coming all the way from the Corrington mainland, the double masted schooner "Northern Gannet" is a sight to behold.

29152401437_1e575ee242_b.jpgBarque 6 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

44089991641_ff524aaa71_b.jpgBarque 7 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

The "Northern Gannet" was built by Richard Brickford as a trade ship for Brickford Enterprises to haul corn and grain throughout the Brick Seas. Richard, the mayor of Quinnsville knows that seeing this ship sailing into Queens Bay can only mean one thing; his wife has finally joined him in the new world!

29152398367_8c478f2b97_b.jpgBarque 11 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Richard was rowed out to meet her before she makes it into the port. He's excited to see her, but realizes he'll need to commission a large house than the one that he currently lives in!

----------------------------------

After much thought and consideration and lots of failed techniques, I was finally able to create a ship that I am rather proud of! While building it I remembered that Richard has a wife on the mainland and that she needed to join him eventually in their new home of Quinnsville. As usual, C&C are welcome and apprecieated and thanks for looking! 

There are a few more photos and different angles over on my flickr!

It's a large and good looking ship, a class 5? I like her sleek lines, the use of handcuffs as bow rails are quite original too.

20 minutes ago, Bodi said:

It's a large and good looking ship, a class 5? I like her sleek lines, the use of handcuffs as bow rails are quite original too.

Thank you! Yeah, I was looking through my pieces and thought, hmm... never seen handcuffs on a ship bow!

As too class size... She's bigger than any class 5 I've built. Using hull measurements, a class 5 has 3 to 4 midsections and two end pieces. That puts it at about approximately 15 inches on hull length. For a class 6, 5 hull sections for a single decked vessel puts it at about approximately 17.5 inches on hull length. I went with the class 7 because the hull on her is 24 inches long and with the bowsprit she is pushing 32 inches.

This photo gives a little better perspective on her true length.

Spoiler

42281006260_6433c564a7_b.jpgBarque 5 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

1 hour ago, LM71Blackbird said:

As too class size...

I agree that lengthwise she's comparable to a typical class 7 built with 5 midsections, but class 7 are usually twodecked with a much heavier construction, so maybe you should try to aim for a more modest level?:classic:

2 hours ago, Kwatchi said:

It is a very nice schooner, but class 7 is an overreach.  You should probably check in the Shipwright Guild Hall thread and get an official ruling.

Thank you! Yeah, I'll go ahead and do that.

2 hours ago, Bodi said:

I agree that lengthwise she's comparable to a typical class 7 built with 5 midsections, but class 7 are usually twodecked with a much heavier construction, so maybe you should try to aim for a more modest level?:classic:

That makes sense... I thought class 8's though were the ones that stated a 2 deck minimum, at least that's what it says in the about ships page...

I think if we are talking "1 deck" in the sense of class 6 and 7 we are talking a closed off gundeck like on a frigate. This is an open deck vessel, so its gonna be outside of the suggested sizes, so class 5 or 6 would be, at least in practice, outside of the current suggested sizes. I think my old vessel "Green Winds" is similarly sized to yours while being licensed as a class 5.

Cool ship, the colour scheme is original but i would prefer more brown for a ship :monkey:, nice work anyway

6 hours ago, Legostone said:

I think if we are talking "1 deck" in the sense of class 6 and 7 we are talking a closed off gundeck like on a frigate. This is an open deck vessel, so its gonna be outside of the suggested sizes, so class 5 or 6 would be, at least in practice, outside of the current suggested sizes. I think my old vessel "Green Winds" is similarly sized to yours while being licensed as a class 5.

I get what your saying... Do you think I could at least get away with a class 6 or would a class 5 be the limit? Thanks!

5 hours ago, Fraunces said:

Cool ship, the colour scheme is original but i would prefer more brown for a ship :monkey:, nice work anyway

Thank you! I agree, however all the brown pieces that I have could fit into the palms of my hands... not really enough for serious shipbuilding... :cry2:

36 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

I get what your saying... Do you think I could at least get away with a class 6 or would a class 5 be the limit? Thanks!

I'm fine with it, but wait for @Bregir

Good looking schooner, LM71 - sorry for not giving more elaborate feedback for now, but I am a bit under pressure in terms of time.

I agree with Legostone that this is similar in size to the Green Winds, but I will agree with LS too that she can be a class 6. She is a bit bulkier in build than the green winds with a considerably longer waterline.

I will see if I can find time for more feedback later (I am generally behind on commenting :/ ), but for now, I will just say that this is your best rigging yet. My only comments would be:

• The shrouds should draw the mast slightly backwards rather than just downwards/sidewards. (The chains should be just behind the mast)
  • The masts of a schooner would be divided into two just above the gaff (see my Amethyst or LS' Green Winds)
  • Your forestaysail (the lower most jib) should be on a stay from the bow to the top of the lower mast, not to the top of the topmast as it is now
  • I can recommend technic connectors and axles (2 studs long) for masts and spars. They are normally fairly cheap on bricklink (Your current solution works surprisingly well, though!)

Great work and cool to see a custom hull! The above is mainly nitpicking! I really like this one!

PS. Next time, don't give us measures in imperial units... We are not cavemen! ;)

4 hours ago, Bregir said:

Good looking schooner, LM71 - sorry for not giving more elaborate feedback for now, but I am a bit under pressure in terms of time.

I agree with Legostone that this is similar in size to the Green Winds, but I will agree with LS too that she can be a class 6. She is a bit bulkier in build than the green winds with a considerably longer waterline.

I will see if I can find time for more feedback later (I am generally behind on commenting :/ ), but for now, I will just say that this is your best rigging yet. My only comments would be:

• The shrouds should draw the mast slightly backwards rather than just downwards/sidewards. (The chains should be just behind the mast)
  • The masts of a schooner would be divided into two just above the gaff (see my Amethyst or LS' Green Winds)
  • Your forestaysail (the lower most jib) should be on a stay from the bow to the top of the lower mast, not to the top of the topmast as it is now
  • I can recommend technic connectors and axles (2 studs long) for masts and spars. They are normally fairly cheap on bricklink (Your current solution works surprisingly well, though!)

Great work and cool to see a custom hull! The above is mainly nitpicking! I really like this one!

Thanks! The masts were pretty much a big experiment for me. I didn't know if they would even work! Thanks for the feedback, I'll take it into consideration for me next build!

3 hours ago, Bregir said:

PS. Next time, don't give us measures in imperial units... We are not cavemen! ;)

Lol... the good ole US of A still uses the imperial units, as well as two other countries... I'll convert the measurements for you next time though!

54 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

the good ole US of A still uses the imperial units, as well as two other countries

The UK hopes you're not referring to us. We'd use metric for measuring distance now. If you wanted to be historically accurate we were probably using the length of the king's forearm or some other weirdness. 

57 minutes ago, Ross Fisher said:

The UK hopes you're not referring to us. We'd use metric for measuring distance now. If you wanted to be historically accurate we were probably using the length of the king's forearm or some other weirdness. 

Lol! No... The three countries that use the imperial system are the USA, Liberia, and Myanmar.