This was my contribution to the Guilds of Historica collaboration at Brickworld this year. I built the entire landscape and started on the buildings, before getting Isaac’s help to finish the model in time. The base split into three portions, and all the buildings were easily removable to allow for convenient transport of the build. It had been a while since I’d done a proper Kaliphlin scene, so it was a really fun build and I think turned out quite well.

Also, there are quite a few sig-figs throughout the build. Can you find all of them?

overview.jpg

right2.jpg

back-left.jpg

left-1.jpg

front3.jpg

camel2.jpg

s.jpg

us.jpg

Lots more pictures on Brickbuilt.
Thanks for looking, and as always, C&C are very welcome :classic:

Oh my, LJ! :wub: 

When I started in the guilds, I had absolutely no love for Kaliphlin. Not only was the guild too sandy for my taste, I also didn't like the builds' styles. Now, about three years later, I have to admit that I've come to like it. Not everything of course, there's still too much sand, but builds like this one have slowly changed my mind - and not a little bit! I don't dare to say it, but I think I may even have fallen in love with the elvish arches, the many awnings, the exotic goods, the camels and the ostriches... all of which, except maybe the last one, are beautifully combined in this little island :drool: 

(side not one: some good rockwork as well, I just could not say nothing about that :grin: )

(side note two: I've counted four sigfigs, is that possible or do I need to look better?)

What a great build!  In my opinion, your builds epitomize Kaliphlin.  There's a lot of great Kali builds out there, but you really capture the colors, detail, and the feel of Kali if you ask me.  The tiny details like the overall color choices, details of arches, and the rug on the camel are awesome.  I love seeing all your work!

Like Titus, when I first got involved in the online Lego community I had no interest in building middle eastern themed builds - I'd simply never considered them when I thought of castle Lego. It was builds like this one; however, that rapidly changed my mind; I love working in tan now!

The landscaping is really well done, especially the grey rock-work which I really admire and there is a great mix of tiles and plates to make the ground (I especially noted the use of the 2x2 round tile with the hole in the middle). At first I thought there might be a bit too much medium dark flesh/dark orange, but it is growing on me. I especially like the dark tan tower. Fantastic job (as usual) all round and it would have been so great to see this in person (the curse of living thousands of kilometres away from the rest of the world!).

Lovely MOC John!  You've got so much going with the colors and architecture, and I think you added the perfect amount of plant life to the build--just enough, not too much.

I do think you could have gone further to sell the island concept though.

What a lovely Kaliphlin build LJ, I enjoyed seeing it in person!  The layout is really nice, with gradually heightening buildings, and I really like the blend of colors - particularly the sand and white checkers!  The light grey rockwork also goes really well with tan, a combination I will have to keep in mind!  Great job showing Historica what Kaliphlin is all about!

I think I spotted 8 sig-figs.  SKs, mine, yours, NMs, Gabe's, Sarahjoy's, Gideon's, Erynlasgalen's (not sure about that last one...).

Been admiring this on Flickr for a while now. This is one of the principle "Kali" style builds for me and one I'll always look at for inspiration whenever I try that style in the future.

Excellent build, LJ! I love the various hues in the brown-ish family going on here, each delineating a separate section of building. The market stalls are also quite nice, and the posing is also convincingly realistic. One thing I notice that I don't love is the variation in tan tooth plates you have as a border on one of the medium nougat/dark flesh? building with the dome. I think it would have looked better with all one size, probably the small teeth (the 1x2 plates with teeth) so that they did not interfere with the arches. However, the build is great all around, especially the base it sits on and the vegetation. Lovely seeing more of your builds!

Beautiful example of how to clump a bunch of buildings together, and make it look great :wub: The use of color is superb, and there's just the right amount of detail in the various buildings.
Wonderful market stalls and sandy landscape too :thumbup: Implementing some 1x1 quarter circle tiles into the sand works wonderfully.

Glad I can claim just a little bit of credit on a build this good :sweet::laugh:

Holy macaroni and banana!!! I have to take notes on this detailpacked moc! The colours, the heights and all the figs! Loveeeeely! Great work mate!

This was one of my favorite builds at Brickworld! Thanks for the cameo of my sigfig, glad he got to visit Brickworld too despite me not bringing any GoH builds this year :classic:
There are so many nice details here that I don't know where to start the praise, definitely a few I will consider borrowing... :wink:
(One that I have already started thinking of using is a slightly modified version of the triple window on the back side of one of the buildings)

The dark background works surprisingly well here, and probably eliminates most of the visible gaps between pieces commonly plaguing photos with a light background.

I thought I commented on this, apparently that was the flickr post......ether way, excellent work here! I love the clean, detailed feel of the architecture.

Excellent build! One of many wonderful builds from you at BW. My only critique would be that I'd like to see the sides of your Brickbuilts awnings filled in with a plate or inverted slope or two. I like your variety of awnings, the sand blue and white checkering, as well as the rockwork and sandwork. My favorite element though would have to be the pulled-back curtain. Great build!