"Crikey, that old Ramesses VIII is a possessive undead kind of bloke...after all, he wasn't much a pharaoh anyway, only ruled a year...you'd think he wouldn't miss a little thing, like his personal staff...how rude of him to sick his Guard Mummies on me!  Let's hope Gail has the old ute cranked up or this could get a bit dicey..."

Johnny Thunder and the Lost Tomb of Ramesses VIII

Thus ends my darkest of Dark Ages, with the largest Adventurers build I have ever done.  I have been dormant for over two years, having gone through some unpleasant RL issues, including an empty nest.  I didn't grow up with LEGO, we couldn't afford it, but when my own kids were 6 and 3 years old, LEGO was an active way to play and connect with them.  The LEGO series we enjoyed the most was Adventurers, which was having its last run at the time, the wonderful Orient Expedition.  Both my boys are grown up now and moved out, but what better way to wake up from my LEGO lethargy than to return to the series with a Johnny Thunder build in Egypt.

Johnny Thunder and the Lost Tomb of Ramesses VIII - Side

I used way too many tan masonry bricks...a total of 400, I think!  That is what happens when you have not built in a while I guess...  

Johnny Thunder and the Lost Tomb of Ramesses VIII - Lower Interior

This was built for Brickfair Virginia to go along with WAMALUG's Pharaoh's Labyrinth.  It is modular and allows for expansion on both levels. My favorite part of this build was using the Brick, Modified 1 x 1 with Scroll with Open Stud as paws for the lion heads.  I haven't seen that before in other builds, so it might be new technique, not sure.

Johnny Thunder and the Lost Tomb of Ramesses VIII - Top Level

Being a history buff, I couldn't help but insert it a little even into this build; Ramesses VIII was a real Pharaoh who only ruled for a year and is the only one of his dynasty who's tomb has not been found.  Except by Johnny Thunder, of course!   

Johnny Thunder and the Lost Tomb of Ramesses VIII - Top Level Interior

Johnny Thunder and the Lost Tomb of Ramesses VIII - Secret door

The back comes off for modularity.  If I ever decide to build more here...

Hidden Treasure and Anubis Statue

That is a not-so-secret compartment that opens up...

And of course you must have the hot girl in a sport utility vehicle (known as a Ute in Johnny's native Australia)...

Gail Storm and the Adventurers TruckGail Storm and the Adventurers Truck - Rear

So that is my return to the AFOL world.  I hope to build more later in the year, and for next year it is back to Historical builds  :thumbup: 

Cheers everyone, happy building!

Edited by Gary The Procrastinator

I really like this one -- and you're right, that's a clever use of that piece to represent lion paws.  I also like the rocky exterior and bumpy ground just outside the entrance.

A stupendous escape from the Dark Ages. Good show sir!

That desert terrain is to die for and I do love the vehicle there (I'm a sucker for an adventurer car.) 

Thanks for sharing and I hope you consider a few more jaunts for Johnny as future MOC ideas.

Johnny did it again!

Ok, this is amazing

I love how you used all the egyptian themed printed pieces from different themes. And the car is awesome 

Glad to hear you're back from your Dark Ages :laugh: 

Really nice build! I enjoy egypt and adventurers themes, so i'm really pleased to see MOCs like that. It is well finished, with fine details and structure!

Amazing builtding!

I love your vehicle. Are these stickers from the original Egypt Lego Theme?

in pharaoh room there are plates with red, green and blue diamonds - any reason why you didn't include 4th plate with exp. white diamonds?

the build is great, as a fan on Egyptian history this looks fabulous to me

On 8/17/2018 at 1:57 PM, BrickJagger said:

Great work as usual, Gary! You've really nailed the realism on this, aside from the mummies of course. :grin:

Thanks so much Brick Jagger, much appreciated!

On 8/17/2018 at 5:18 PM, Grey Magistrate said:

I really like this one -- and you're right, that's a clever use of that piece to represent lion paws.  I also like the rocky exterior and bumpy ground just outside the entrance.

Thank you GM, terrain is a specialty of mine :wink:

On 8/17/2018 at 5:32 PM, Peppermint_M said:

A stupendous escape from the Dark Ages. Good show sir!

That desert terrain is to die for and I do love the vehicle there (I'm a sucker for an adventurer car.) 

Thanks for sharing and I hope you consider a few more jaunts for Johnny as future MOC ideas.

So kind of you Peppermint, very much appreciated and yes hopefully another one soon....

On 8/17/2018 at 6:07 PM, Robert8 said:

Johnny did it again!

Ok, this is amazing

I love how you used all the egyptian themed printed pieces from different themes. And the car is awesome 

Glad to hear you're back from your Dark Ages :laugh: 

Thank you Robert, it is good to be building again.  Now if I can get everything sorted out...

On 8/18/2018 at 10:52 PM, BrickLdeas said:

Amazing

On 8/19/2018 at 4:40 AM, Zed_43 said:

Really nice build! I enjoy egypt and adventurers themes, so i'm really pleased to see MOCs like that. It is well finished, with fine details and structure!

Thank you BL & Zed, very kind of you to say.

On 8/19/2018 at 7:48 AM, Robin_IV said:

Amazing builtding!

I love your vehicle. Are these stickers from the original Egypt Lego Theme?

Thank you Robin.  Those ones are from the brief Pharaohs Quest run featuring Jake Raines.  I think it only ran one year.

On 8/19/2018 at 12:05 PM, Duxx said:

in pharaoh room there are plates with red, green and blue diamonds - any reason why you didn't include 4th plate with exp. white diamonds?

the build is great, as a fan on Egyptian history this looks fabulous to me

Thank you Duxx.  For the pillars with gold plates of jewels, I ran out of gold plates, LOL!  So that gold scorpion was a temp solution until I could get another after Brickfair.  There are 4 now and this one has yellow jewels. 

I’m also a fan of Egyptology and adventurers and this is fantastic.  I love the Ute (I’m from Australia) and the extendability

I love it! to me this represents everything that intrigued me about the adventurers line. It reminds me of the Adventurers part of Lego Island 2. Ah such nostalgia.

Great stuff! The interiors with egyptian decor is real nice, they really flow. Do dig the texture of masonry brick meshing with other bricks on the exterior too. Also, I really love how you did with those Jackal statues.

Been recently intrigued by Adventurers and was (and still) a fan of the Pharoah's Quest theme too. So this is amazing!