Sign in to follow this  
Nikola Bathory

Not enough sets with buildings (bases)

I am a fan of both Lego and Star Wars, the idea to combine the 2 is great. I'm completely new to this theme (I only have 1 set), but:

I think that the Star Wars Lego lacks buildings, bases. Like the big castles or something like the Eldorado thingy from Pirates? You understand what I want to say, I hope.

You need a base for a good battle, one side defends it, while the other attacks.

Lego only offers the UCS Hoth rebel base, but it seems to be only the portal of the base, not a complete structure. What do you think about it?

Lego has speeders, walkers, ships etc and that's cool, but I would like to see a base of some sort. I would buy such set! :'-(

Edited by Nikola Bathory

Yeah, as a fan, I feel that way too, but I think that bases are expensive to build, and they stick with Large ships (Star Destroyer, Republic Cruiser) to fill that nich. As for the Hoth base, a lot of people were disapointed with it as was I, but it had some good design. If you want a good base, buy Cloud City online. I think it is the most full-scale base they've made recently.

I think the trouble with SW is that the ships/buildings are massive; so much so that they must either be omitted or only have a small section feature. Therefore you are more likely to get "scenery" than a full-blown Super Star Destroyer. Furthermore, there's not much of SW that rotates around small areas of buildings ;-)

The Eldorado thingy from Pirates?

C'mon! Eldorado Fortress! *wacko*

I completely agree that we have way too few "bases" in Star Wars. I mean, really, what do we have?

- HRB. Very basic

- Jabba's Palace. One of the worst sets ever

- Rebel Control (with the original B-Wing). Again, very basic

- Cloud City. Ah, now we're talking. Though it's appeal does seem to diminish quickly

i would like to see some more buildings and scenery in the lego star wars world, but ships and cruisers seem to fit the theme better. they didnt even use legos for most of the scenery in the first lego star wars video game! *wacko*

I completely agree. Just having a bunch of ships leaves little space for extra minifigures. Mine just sit there randomly.

TK

I agree there is a lack of structures. Though given the subject matter, it is understandable. There isn't a lot of structures that can be done well in Lego, because they are too big. Plus a lot of the structure related scenes are expository scenes, without much action. And what kid really would want an X-wing hanger?

That being said, I think a Ewok Tree House Village would be possible. Maybe a Wampa Cave. A Death Star playset may be possible too (though I'm not sure that would count as a structure/base). And maybe a Lars Homestead.

Steve

i dont think size is a problem, just look at the RC! they made it about 8 times smaller than scale size *wacko*

I completly agree that there are far to few Lego SW bases/structures. |-/

To all of you who say that size/scale is a problem this is where my idea comes in...

Star Wars modular buildings, meaning you have 5-6 sets and when you put them all together you get a big building that covers lot's of space. I t also gives us more minifigs because each section is a seperate set. This style would be great for such locations as Hoth Echo Base, Tipaco City, Mos Eisley ect. ect. It also means if you don't like one part you can just not buy it, or replace it with two of one you really like.

Anyway thats just my idea on how TLG could give u more SW bases/structures and more minifigs at the same time.

What do you guys think?

-Tarfful

Edited by Tarfful

To all of you who say that size/scale is a problem this is where my idea comes in...

Star Wars modular buildings, meaning you have 5-6 sets and when you put them all together you get a big building that covers lot's of space.

I don't know how well that would work. It would be really tough to build six small sets that would combine into a larger set, while still keeping the small sets as stand-alones depicting action scenes, which I think would have to be a prerequisite to any set.

I say this, because: (1) if they are not stand-alone then they will sell less, because few parents are going to be excited about buying something that is clearly incomplete and requires an additional $100+ investment to complete; and (2) if they are not all action packed, then there are going to be an awful lot of The West Wall of Theed Palace left on the shelves.

Steve

i totally agree athos. i cant see a bunch of towers of tipoca city with no minifigs... *wacko*

I'm happy to see other people than me wanting real SW bases. What would you say about Episode VI - Endor - Imperial bunker? With lots of Imperial minifigs?

C'mon! Eldorado Fortress! *wacko*

ops, hehe :)

I aggree, in the next while i'm thinking of just starting major mocs, buildings, scenes for myself.Just becouse, lego hasn't done much of this, and i can imagine, if they did try, they would try make it affordable.And it would be, well, average/megablocks.

com'on TLG, give us a good, stable, big, building. i would love if they realeased some $100-$150 buildings. Lars' homested (probably ep 4 version), mos-esily city, a good hoth base, Emp. Pulpitines throneroom. i'm sure these could all be done well at the right price.

Com'on TLG, give us some buildings