Garmadon

De Fiori Family (Varlyrio)

The De Fiori's are experienced sword-makers and the masters of that trade in Varlyrio.  At least once within inches of ruling the guild - about six inches of a cold steel from it - the De Fiori's still hold their place among the top three, and might just be glancing surreptitiously once again at the throne... 

Alesio de Fiori

43372976924_5f77ae1f97_z.jpg

The grand-nephew of Dialto De Fiori, Alesio De Fiori is the current head of the family and master of the large sword-making business.  A deal of political experience and a mind for intrigue have help him survive and hold his family's place near the top so far.  He lost his left eye years ago in a duel with a Baiamonte, and since then, especially, he has been deadset on keeping above them in the ranks.  His immediate family consists of his wife, two sons, Callito and Aureo De Fiori, and his daughter, Capri.

Spoiler

30223560218_66deddda74_z.jpg

Figless:

43372971134_9672a7a83f_z.jpg

I wanted to get some good use out of those curved trunk pieces, obviously! :grin:  This is my entry to Varlyrio's Guild Challenge 1A, introducing the head of the De Fiori family.  I plan on using this thread to post all my entries to Challenge 1A and 1B (introducing all the important family members) and to keep the De Fiori family tree.  Accordingly, I'll go ahead and include my main character build here too (which would of course be an entry to Challenge 1B) - go ahead and ignore it if you've seen it already! :laugh:  Thanks for viewing, C&C are welcome!

Callito de Fiori

32600064368_16c1f595e8_z.jpg

Alesio's eldest son is Callito de Fiori, and - well, everybody wishes he wasn't.  He's very fine and good in his own way, very clever, great at getting into trouble, and useful delivering swords and stuff, but heir to the family business?  The very idea is ludicrous!  But the eldest son he is, whether anybody likes it or not, and he takes a kind of mischievous pleasure in messing up everybody's plans, both by being born and by everything else he does, which is constantly throwing wrenches into his father and brother's masterplans.  The more adventuresome members of the family look forward to the time that he'll take over, but his more serious and business-like relations have long been revolving how to avoid such a scenario at almost any costs.  The best ideas so far include offering him a dukedom of some far-distant and probably non-existant island and sending him to find it, and marrying him off to some domineering lady who lives far, far away.

Aureo de Fiori

46472508421_be77a4f1dc_z.jpg

Alesio's second son, Aureo, is about as business-like, ambitious, and intrigue-loving as his father.  He most certainly "should have been born first," and is the embodiment of all his family's hopes.  Aureo pretty much takes care of all the business and family correspondence and is in charge of making sure that all is running smoothly and keeping the family in line - a position which he excels at.  He's also supposed to keep Callito out of trouble and fix things when he gets into it - something which he finds a great deal more complicated.  

Capri de Fiori

44655747230_95aeae9549_z.jpg

The only daughter and youngest child of Alesio de Fiori, Capri is about as mischievous, lighthearted, and capricious as she sounds.  Despite the fact that she's rarely obedient, too willful, and always to be found where she is not supposed to be, Capri is the pet and favorite of the family, and adored and jealously protected by her father and brother. The best way to secure a very short life and the de Fiori's eternal hatred of your family is to think about touching a hair of her head. 

Cadgie de Fiori - deceased

46472509721_d42ff0c0eb_z.jpg

Captain of the city guard and brother to Alesio, Cadgie de Fiori is about as ruthless as they come.  Totally devoted to the family interests and loyal to his brother and nephew (Aureo, that is), Cadgie is ready to propose and carry out any devious mission, either with the guard at his back or with his sons' or his own daggers.  He is well-respected by the guard and very appreciated by Alesio and Aureo, but is regarded as somewhat harsh and cruel by the population in general, making him one of the less popular family members.

Susto and Falco de Fiori

46367458702_19c2be0e9f_z.jpg

The two sons of Cadgie de Fiori (nephews of Alesio, the current head of the family), Susto and Falco de Fiori, along with their father, are the muscle of the family.  While Alesio's side of the family runs the business and intrigue part, and the younger end does most of the actual sword-making, these guys are more likely to be using the point of the swords than forging them.  Their characters are about as fiery and volatile as their hair, but Alesio knows well that they can be absolutely depended upon on "family business."

Cioro de Fiori

44700190210_a944600c6d_z.jpg

On the younger end of the family comes Cioro de Fiori, nephew to Alesio de Fiori.  A master blacksmith, he traveled the lands of Historica in his youth, learning the art of the sword-making craft from the finest blade-makers on the continent.  While in Mitgardia he fell in love with and married the daughter of a lesser Mitgardian Jarl, and he returned with her to Varlyrio to form the backbone of the de Fiori family business.  Honest to the core and devoted to his (immediate) family, he is left out of the larger family intrigue, but he is quite respected by its other members for the quality and strength of his blades.  

Bjarke de Fiori

41985902620_80833e7fbf_z.jpg

Born aboard a ship on a trading voyage to Mitgardia, Bjarke De Fiori is the son of the nephew of Alesio, who had married a young Mitgardian lady of noble lineage - and, as he was neither too important to his own family, nor she too great an heiress in hers, nobody put up much of a fuss.  Young Bjarke has his family's knack for sword-making, but he also inherited the Varlyrian love for adventure, excitement, and conquest of the waves, and the boldness and daring characteristic of his Mitgardian ancestors.

Gionna de Fiori

44700193380_db014cc702_z.jpg

Cioro de Fiori's daughter and Bjarke's sister, Gionna has been her father's right hand ever since her mother died when she was about ten.  Inheriting both her character and disposition, she keeps house for her father and brother and helps them in the business however she can, and though rumor has it that she loves a young Varlyrian noble, she has not avowed it openly - some say only because she cannot bear the idea of leaving her father by himself.  With the scarcity of marriageable girls in the family, however, it is quite possible that her wishes may come into conflict with those of the higher-ups in the family...

Xari Spadro

46472504981_af30799f97_z.jpg

Nobody sees the face of this elusive and mysterious pirate and lives to tell the tale... unless their name ends in "de Fiori".  His precise relationship to the current family is known only to himself, Alesio, and maybe one or two others, but it is popularly thought that he is a descendant of the upper line of the family which was lost a few generations back, and that he has more than once helped the de Fiori's when they've asked.  Mostly, though, he spends his time roaming the seas around Varlyrio terrorizing the trading ships of other guilds and leaving his fellow Varlyrians in relative peace... unless he feels cornered or threatened.

De Fiori Family Tree

43375148044_cdd1432d55_c.jpg

Spoiler

De Fiori's
|

|                                        |                                         |                                       |
   Luysio                               Dialto                                Paladin                            Finolla  
|                                                                                  |                                       
Aureo (pirate)                                                   __________________                         
|                                                                      |                            |                      
 _______                                                          Correlli                  Giusta                         
    ?    ?                                                                  |                                                           
                                            _______________________________                         
                   |                       |                          |
                   Alesio              Cadgie                Dialto
                    |                       |                          | 
                              ______________________        ________            Cioro                                        
               |               |              |                |          |                   |                        
      Callito       Aureo      Capri        Susto   Falco   ___________         
Xari Spadro (pirate) ??                                                                                             |              |                                                            
                                                                                                                      Bjarke    Gionna                                                 

Lovely curved corner!  Torch looks a little dangerous so close to the wood though. :laugh:  Looking forward to seeing where the family fortunes take your characters!

Ha! I'm just now noticing the cheese slope mosaic windows in these two little builds. Great work there, would love to see a "backside" to see how you constructed them.

Some small, but absolutely awesome intro builds! Its cool to see how you presented the figs on a different background, but still in the same style. :thumbup:  I especially liek the first one, with it's rounded corner, glass window and inverted flower rounds in the base :wub: 

Impressive family tree as well, I'm defenitely looking forward to seeing all these members in the flesh - eh, yellow!

Awesome!  I like the small build with nice details, great use of some of the new tiles, and then the great backstory and detailed family tree!

I love these small character vignettes! The higher ceiling on the new one looks great, and I love the continuation of the window style. They are rather simple builds, but so very effective. Now let's see the rest of the family, before they all die in feuds...

These opening builds are small and concise, and both share a simple but elegant style.  This looks like a family not to be messed with.

Good work!

The alternating half arches and inverted slopes give a lovely texture here :wub: Nice work with the angled corner window and sword rack too :thumbup:

Thanks guys! 

On 8/17/2018 at 10:39 AM, Kai NRG said:

Lovely curved corner!  Torch looks a little dangerous so close to the wood though. :laugh:  Looking forward to seeing where the family fortunes take your characters!

:laugh:  Thanks Kai!  I'm just hoping that I have enough that somebody'll still be alive by the end of all this! :grin:

On 8/17/2018 at 2:46 PM, mccoyed said:

Ha! I'm just now noticing the cheese slope mosaic windows in these two little builds. Great work there, would love to see a "backside" to see how you constructed them.

Thanks mate!  It's fairly simple (and I'm afraid a picture wouldn't really help :grin:) - it's just one of these (or some other window frame) filled in with trans-clear cheese slopes (and 1x1 plates, sometimes).  Most of the time the last one will hold them in quite firmly, but if not, just take one or two out and put them in at a different angle.  They will not fill it up entirely - there will be gaps - but as long as you're shooting against white paper it definitely looks just fine.  That would probably be an issue if you were trying to use the technique for a stained glass window, though.

On 8/17/2018 at 4:00 PM, TitusV said:

Some small, but absolutely awesome intro builds! Its cool to see how you presented the figs on a different background, but still in the same style. :thumbup:  I especially like the first one, with it's rounded corner, glass window and inverted flower rounds in the base :wub: 

Impressive family tree as well, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing all these members in the flesh - eh, yellow!

Thanks mate! :classic:  I might actually like the first one better as well - the gold gives it a bit of color that the second was kind of lacking. 

Thanks!  So am I!  Let's just hope I get around to building them before they've all been and got themselves killed! :grin: :laugh:

On 8/17/2018 at 10:54 PM, Grover said:

Awesome!  I like the small build with nice details, great use of some of the new tiles, and then the great backstory and detailed family tree!

Thanks Grover!  I'm loving those new curved tiles!

On 8/18/2018 at 12:52 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

I love these small character vignettes! The higher ceiling on the new one looks great, and I love the continuation of the window style. They are rather simple builds, but so very effective. Now let's see the rest of the family, before they all die in feuds...

:grin: Thanks man!

19 hours ago, x105Black said:

These opening builds are small and concise, and both share a simple but elegant style.  This looks like a family not to be messed with.

Good work!

Yep, I was trying to make them clearly related while still quite different in reality, and I'm glad I've succeeded! 

:laugh: :devil: We are the ones who make the daggers... :grin:

5 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

The alternating half arches and inverted slopes give a lovely texture here :wub: Nice work with the angled corner window and sword rack too :thumbup:

Thanks SK! :sweet:  I was trying to spice up the walls a bit without getting anything too busy in there.

1 hour ago, W Navarre said:

Cool work, I'm really looking forward to how these families and their intrigues work out! 

Thanks man!  So am I! :wink:

Thanks Garmadon. I find some of the pretty canonical castle building techniques lost on me. I see a lot of similar techniques in builds and have no idea how the builder does it haha.

Nice vignette and great figure :thumbup: 
As others already have pointed out, the window design is great!

Thanks everybody! :classic:

A new family vig from me too (I'll edit the short version into the first post to keep things organized, but plan to post at least my smaller vigs in their own posts in this thread).

46367462392_9a3accf013_z.jpg

Susto and Falco de Fiori

46367458702_19c2be0e9f_z.jpg

The two sons of Cadgie de Fiori (nephews of Alesio, the current head of the family), Susto and Falco de Fiori, along with their father, are the muscle of the family.  While Alesio's side of the family runs the business and intrigue part, and the younger end does most of the actual sword-making, these guys are more likely to be using the point of the swords than forging them.  Their characters are about as fiery and volatile as their hair, but Alesio knows well that they can be absolutely depended upon on "family business."

46367460062_6f627e52d7_z.jpg

Falco, the younger of the two brothers.  Check out the family tree to see exactly where they fall in :classic:

Figless:

46417992841_6c3a8b8b25_z.jpg

Hey y'all!  It's been too long since I last posted something, but I actually had this on my desk for quite a while while I was finishing up my next and larger build.  That one is now just needed to get photographed one of these days, which ought to get done before the end of the month.  Thanks for viewing, C&C are welcome!

Love the 3/4 circle around the entrance!  Looks very mysterious and dangerous with those circling stairs behind...

Oh man, I'm totally in love with that vig! :wub: the rounded entrance, then those stairs to the door! :thumbup: overall really neat, some simple and very nice details, love the ground too. Oh and I wasn't around in August, so I didn't know you too had your Varlyrian family - looks intriguing, keep it on!

So many nice touches in that vignette, from the curved stairs, the ring as the door handle, the rounded opening and the offset tiles on the roof.

Nice additions to your family too - now we can see the true Varlyrian intrigue!

Love the details on the new build, especially the macaroni tiles and the coloring.

Nice figures for the new members! I have to get around to expanding the D'Gattos sometime soon too.

Thanks guys! :classic:

On 12/22/2018 at 7:44 PM, Kai NRG said:

Love the 3/4 circle around the entrance!  Looks very mysterious and dangerous with those circling stairs behind...

Thanks Kai!  I wanted to keep up the use of curved brown elements in my other builds here, and was really glad with how well that worked out for the doorway!  As to dangerousness... :devil: :grin:

On 12/23/2018 at 8:26 AM, en_zoo said:

Oh man, I'm totally in love with that vig! :wub: the rounded entrance, then those stairs to the door! :thumbup: overall really neat, some simple and very nice details, love the ground too. Oh and I wasn't around in August, so I didn't know you too had your Varlyrian family - looks intriguing, keep it on!

Thanks man, glad you liked it!  I hope to - expect more to be coming soon! :classic:

On 12/23/2018 at 7:36 PM, Basiliscus said:

So many nice touches in that vignette, from the curved stairs, the ring as the door handle, the rounded opening and the offset tiles on the roof.

Nice additions to your family too - now we can see the true Varlyrian intrigue!

Thanks mate! - I hope to have intrigue getting going here before too long :wink:

12 hours ago, mccoyed said:

Nice figures for the new members! I have to get around to expanding the D'Gattos sometime soon too.

Thanks mccoyed!  I've had pretty much my whole (still living) family built and sitting on my desk waiting for me to build them vigs for quite a while :grin:  Looking forward to seeing that!