brunojj1

[MOC] McLaren P1 hypercar 1:8 manual & RC w/ instructions

1 hour ago, SNIPE said:

Slightly offtopic but: A hardtop convertable pista would be awesome cause there is an abundance of mechananized hardtop convertables. I thought I could just combine the mclaren p1 with the mclaren 675 LT spider but also with an 8 speed gearbox like in the 42083, however due to attention problems I have never finished a single MOC (though I'm good at building official sets/peoples MOCs). There is the power funcrions tribute car which has a proper dual hinged mechanical hardtop but it doesn't have many other functions. I can still build the MOCs I bought I suppose and Iooking forward to seeing the ferrari regardless.

Even more offtopic, sorry, but not many other functions??

Motorized 8 speed sequential gearbox, independent suspension on all wheels, motorized ride height adjustment on the front wheels, openable doors and hood, V10 fake engine...

what functions would you like more?

13 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Even more offtopic, sorry, but not many other functions??

Motorized 8 speed sequential gearbox, independent suspension on all wheels, motorized ride height adjustment on the front wheels, openable doors and hood, V10 fake engine...

what functions would you like more?

ok 'not many' was the wrong word to use, but there wasn't much info on rebrickable/youtube before it was updated. what I meant was "not all the functions I was after in my ideal supercar". That's inportant though maybe unrealistic because I can't add my own features.

I wanna buy the pf tribute car but I decided that I should build the other two mocs that I've bought first.

Edited by SNIPE

Hi, I'm a huge fan of Mclaren and Lego, and this car looks amazing. I'd like to build the RC version but there's a huge problem: I'm a beginning AFOL and as such I have no parts at all (except 42042 but I like to keep that one on display)! Going to rebrickable I see there are only 95% of the parts available to buy and it costs more than 1k$ which is too much for an incomplete set imo (still missing 200 pieces). What is the best/easiest/cheapest way to get all required parts for this MOC (orange version preferably)?

I also saw on youtube that this MOC has been illegally copied and sold as a whole, but they're poor copies. This model is also available on theblockzone.com but not as cheap as the other fakes, so I was wondering:

• Is this the same model or also a poor copy? (my guess is that it's a copy but just checking)
  • Does the author get a cut when I'd purchase that set? (If not I'd buy the instructions out of principle to support the creativity)
  • Is it a good idea to buy this set to get the parts?
  • With this set, am I able to follow the instructions of the original and build the original? (or does anyone have an indication how much parts are missing?)

I am afraid there is no easy shortcut. You can do in 2 ways:

1. gather 2nd hand bulk Technic sets - and You will end up a lot of boxes with lot of parts (good for MOCing in the future, though).
  2. Try to Bricklink the required parts.

Both are rather expensive method (as most hobbies are), but for the second option Rebrickable is a good partner - just make sure, that You switch Include Used/2nd Hand Parts to YESThan You will save some money, as Rebrickable is looking for new parts only as default. You might still need to place 2-3 orders at different shops.

For copycats, there is no warranty, that the instructions are same quality, but probably they are stolen as well... As You mentioned, the best way to support the creator is purchasing directly from him/her via Rebrickable.

Edited by agrof

1 hour ago, Free said:

Hi, I'm a huge fan of Mclaren and Lego, and this car looks amazing. I'd like to build the RC version but there's a huge problem: I'm a beginning AFOL and as such I have no parts at all (except 42042 but I like to keep that one on display)! Going to rebrickable I see there are only 95% of the parts available to buy and it costs more than 1k$ which is too much for an incomplete set imo (still missing 200 pieces). What is the best/easiest/cheapest way to get all required parts for this MOC (orange version preferably)?

I also saw on youtube that this MOC has been illegally copied and sold as a whole, but they're poor copies. This model is also available on theblockzone.com but not as cheap as the other fakes, so I was wondering:

• Is this the same model or also a poor copy? (my guess is that it's a copy but just checking)
  • Does the author get a cut when I'd purchase that set? (If not I'd buy the instructions out of principle to support the creativity)
  • Is it a good idea to buy this set to get the parts?
  • With this set, am I able to follow the instructions of the original and build the original? (or does anyone have an indication how much parts are missing?)

As @agrof explained (thanks), it´s not recommended to buy either the cheap fake copies nor the stolen instructions included from the mentionned websites or anywhere except individual parts from bricklink / instructions from rebrickable. I fear we´re walking on thin ice to say it here on a Lego dedicated forum, but to help you I suggest two exceptions: the exhaust pipe (which is not available for a long time already) and chromed rims (which have been banned by TLC after highjacking BL).

You may consider to buy the 42056 Porsche (used) set containing 57% of the parts, some other you might have on stock already and the rest to be bricklinked.

Edited by brunojj1

I bought a cooy of the instructions yesterday.cant wait to build it but looks like i need to find a used porsche set as deliveries from bricklink are taking a while.

@brunojj1 I am rebuilding this car from scratch. The rc version is my favourite car build ever! I built the manual version last year and it was great but the motorized version is something else! I’ve built almost every car out there but this is the tops for me. Thanks for those awesome plans. 

Does anyone know which part numbers I can omit from the parts list if I am using the Chiron light piece instead?

On 3/31/2020 at 4:29 PM, agrof said:

I am afraid there is no easy shortcut. You can do in 2 ways:

1. gather 2nd hand bulk Technic sets - and You will end up a lot of boxes with lot of parts (good for MOCing in the future, though).
  2. Try to Bricklink the required parts.

Both are rather expensive method (as most hobbies are), but for the second option Rebrickable is a good partner - just make sure, that You switch Include Used/2nd Hand Parts to YESThan You will save some money, as Rebrickable is looking for new parts only as default. You might still need to place 2-3 orders at different shops.

For copycats, there is no warranty, that the instructions are same quality, but probably they are stolen as well... As You mentioned, the best way to support the creator is purchasing directly from him/her via Rebrickable.

On 3/31/2020 at 5:36 PM, brunojj1 said:

As @agrof explained (thanks), it´s not recommended to buy either the cheap fake copies nor the stolen instructions included from the mentionned websites or anywhere except individual parts from bricklink / instructions from rebrickable. I fear we´re walking on thin ice to say it here on a Lego dedicated forum, but to help you I suggest two exceptions: the exhaust pipe (which is not available for a long time already) and chromed rims (which have been banned by TLC after highjacking BL).

You may consider to buy the 42056 Porsche (used) set containing 57% of the parts, some other you might have on stock already and the rest to be bricklinked.

Thanks for your responses. I did some further research and decided to go for the real thing.

The components of the RC version are quite expensive so I'll go for the manual version which is less than half the cost. I ordered the instructions and all parts, now the waiting can begin. :excited:

You won’t regret the manual version. I didn’t build the RC version but it always feels a bit boring to have things move automatically whereas manual is a lot of fun to just rotate the gears for hours with no end :laugh:

Ferrari looks really good by the way @brunojj1! If you don’t mind me asking, is there a preliminary parts list available by any chance?

Parts collection has begun for me! Unfortunately in the UK the Porsche has increased in price since it has been discontinued.

Anyways, I have managed to source the ever so rare exhaust bucket but at a significant cost haha. 

On 4/22/2020 at 2:44 AM, Minh_Kha_N said:

But, now, when do we get to see that absolutely gorgeous 458 Speciale in your profile picture?

it still work in progress

Finally managed to acquire all parts for the non-RC version and started building. However there's an error in the parts list... Light bluish grey axle 9 is required 2 times (page 29 steps 24 and 25), but quantity on the list is only 1. Are there any other known missing parts on the list?

Edited by Free

Hi friends. I have problems with open doors mechanism. Can anyone show me a solution?? Thanks in advance

Edited by Xillo74

Hello,

Does someone know which rear Spoiler its build on following pictures of the P1? Is there any manual instruction for this Version?

30984_ZxuLLaK.jpg

30984_1ceQ5NY.jpg

30984_xulK292.jpg

@Seely : First of all, welcome to EB!

The shown GTR spoiler is a custom modification posted on rebrickable by Schotty08. You should sign up there (if not registered yet) and ask him. Some more similar to this can be seen there on the photos section under both RC and manual versions. I guess the lack of the exhaust part led these guys to get creative, I always apreciate that :wink:.

On 6/30/2020 at 5:29 PM, brunojj1 said:

@Seely : First of all, welcome to EB!

The shown GTR spoiler is a custom modification posted on rebrickable by Schotty08. You should sign up there (if not registered yet) and ask him. Some more similar to this can be seen there on the photos section under both RC and manual versions. I guess the lack of the exhaust part led these guys to get creative, I always apreciate that :wink:.

Hello @brunojj1

Thanks for your answer, i love your amazing work. I will definitly create your P1, but at first i need to buy all the parts i need for that.

I already asked him, and he cant give any instruction. Thats why i decided to ask here. 

It would nice to have some instructions for different Rear Spoilers. I‘m new in this MOC-section and i dont have as much pieces left to try it out on my own. A topic „Rear Spoilers“ would be nice :) so everybody could choose his own favourite (tastes are different)..

Seely

Edited by Seely