brunojj1

[MOC] McLaren P1 hypercar 1:8 manual & RC w/ instructions

Hey @brunojj1 - can I ask where you got the rims done?  TLG only offers them in black, and your from the original (orange) seem to be done in some form of metallic (matte) silver.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

Hey @brunojj1 - can I ask where you got the rims done?  TLG only offers them in black, and your from the original (orange) seem to be done in some form of metallic (matte) silver.  Thanks!

The chromed "Porsche" rims I was presenting in this topic were bought from ebay, I don´t remember from where they came exactly. TLG doesn´t offer anything like this and moreover after highjacking bricklink you can´t buy them there as well. One famous seller has created his own website now for chromed parts: http://www.chromeblockcity.com/

If you are referring to the matte silver Bugatti wheels which I´ve put on and photographed recently next to Charbel´s McLaren 720S - these were purchased from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32963438081.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.57fa4c4d1obM5p

Side note: my comment in my previous post regarding not using any clone parts wasn´t about rims. I just wanted to make clear that I didn´t use non-Lego motors and PF components other than SBrick/Buwizz. I fear somebody want to nail me on that as well :sceptic: ...

2 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

The chromed "Porsche" rims I was presenting in this topic were bought from ebay, I don´t remember from where they came exactly. TLG doesn´t offer anything like this and moreover after highjacking bricklink you can´t buy them there as well. One famous seller has created his own website now for chromed parts: http://www.chromeblockcity.com/

If you are referring to the matte silver Bugatti wheels which I´ve put on and photographed recently next to Charbel´s McLaren 720S - these were purchased from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32963438081.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.57fa4c4d1obM5p

Side note: my comment in my previous post regarding not using any clone parts wasn´t about rims. I just wanted to make clear that I didn´t use non-Lego motors and PF components other than SBrick/Buwizz. I fear somebody want to nail me on that as well :sceptic: ...

Perfect.  Thanks for the info.  Can you also clarify for those you bought on aliexpress, when advertised as (2 pieces) do you actually get two rims for the listed price?  Or is one rim and one tire considered 2 pieces?  On the website it is not clear. 

@brunojj1 - I am about half way through building the P1 and have really enjoy the modular design in the chassis. Are there standards for making modules that can be interchanged between chassis or are modules unique to each car.

18 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Perfect.  Thanks for the info.  Can you also clarify for those you bought on aliexpress, when advertised as (2 pieces) do you actually get two rims for the listed price?  Or is one rim and one tire considered 2 pieces?  On the website it is not clear. 

It depends, as far as I´m concerned various sellers offer 2x pcs in one lot, usually it´s shown in the item description. The link above offers 1 rim + 1 tire per lot.

15 hours ago, jmp23834 said:

@brunojj1 - I am about half way through building the P1 and have really enjoy the modular design in the chassis. Are there standards for making modules that can be interchanged between chassis or are modules unique to each car.

The modules in the manual / RC chassis are very similar, but they all have small differences regarding the mechanics, the points for the separation are at the same places. Although you theoretically could interchange the modules from both versions, it doesn´t make a lot of sense, since you want to build the one or the other. The modularity itself was a challenge I´ve put for myself, also helpfull for designing the car respecitvely keep the functions at the same place. And of course the intention was to make it more interesting to assemble, easier to disassemble / modify as well. Another idea was to offer several motorization options in the RC version where the modularity comes in handy, although practically you need to tinker quite a bit to downgrade the drivetrain.

Edited by brunojj1

Do you think it's easy to retrofit the RC version with the new Control + elements or would it require sacrificing or changing important structural or design elements?

1 hour ago, Filipe128 said:

Do you think it's easy to retrofit the RC version with the new Control + elements or would it require sacrificing or changing important structural or design elements?

I think it´s impossible to install these components into this model without sacrificing the whole chassis :sweet:. And I have no intention to buy / test them at any time in any of my MOCs, because I just can´t see any smallest advantage over the good old PF system combined with SBricks.

Right, the only advantage for me would be making good use of the 42100 inventory, but I see many problems with it, starting with the fact that there are no extension cables and there's a 4 motor limit per hub. 

21_img_0538.png

Is it possible to redo this step? I think it might be very hard to remove that axle 5 once it goes in so if I may, I suggest replacing it with an axle 7 and a bush:

21_mclaren_p1.png

Edited by Filipe128
Added pictures

Finally after many weeks of waiting for parts, I built the McLaren! It was a really interesting building experience and it was good to see the use of techniques not commonly used by TLG. 

800x464.jpg

Edited by Filipe128

Congrats on the build! I’m looking forward to my build. All the pieces are sorted...now to find the time

Edited by Kronos987

Absolutely fantastic MOC. I'm going to build this next hopefully :)...

Are you doing a Ferrari 458 Speciale MOC that I spot in your profile picture?!

On 2/4/2020 at 7:34 PM, Filipe128 said:

21_img_0538.png

Is it possible to redo this step? I think it might be very hard to remove that axle 5 once it goes in so if I may, I suggest replacing it with an axle 7 and a bush:

21_mclaren_p1.png

Just seeing this....sadly it is too late because you already completed the model.  

But imo it is not necessary to change anything.  You can easily push the axle to the side of the 5x7 frame to get it out. Not the greatest for the pieces, but does not harm them either.  

On 2/5/2020 at 2:34 AM, Filipe128 said:

21_img_0538.png

21_mclaren_p1.png

Thanks for your attention. I believe once I even had considered to use your solution, but then changed it back to the shown above - don´t remember for what (admittedly stupid) reason that was :innocent:.

On 2/26/2020 at 5:21 PM, Filipe128 said:

Finally after many weeks of waiting for parts, I built the McLaren! It was a really interesting building experience and it was good to see the use of techniques not commonly used by TLG. 

I hope I could rescue you from the boredom of "the common" for a while :blush:

On 2/26/2020 at 11:32 PM, nerdsforprez said:

Just seeing this....sadly it is too late because you already completed the model.  

But imo it is not necessary to change anything.  You can easily push the axle to the side of the 5x7 frame to get it out. Not the greatest for the pieces, but does not harm them either.  

It´s not supposed to be disassembled at any time anyway. If so, use an axe or hammer, I don´t care then :laugh:.

On 2/26/2020 at 11:25 PM, Raymonndo said:

Absolutely fantastic MOC. I'm going to build this next hopefully :)...

Are you doing a Ferrari 458 Speciale MOC that I spot in your profile picture?!

Not exactly. First of all, in the times of PC one should emphasize: it´s not a Ferrari! (only a replica, "inspired by"). So it´s supposed to be an "inspired by 488 Pista" or something. Sorry to disappoint you, but I can´t tell you anything more about it by now and not on this forum. Stay tuned for a few months :wink:.

Can anyone comment on the effectiveness of linking the steering to the rear spoiler.  I don't see much motion on the spoiler when turning the axle which would connect through to the steering motor (RC version end of step 45, page 153), and the motion is definitely not symmetrical when turning left and right.

There is some fine tuning you can do. The 2L liftarm with the linkages on it should be in the middle when the wheels are centred. 

2 hours ago, Zirafarafa said:

Can anyone comment on the effectiveness of linking the steering to the rear spoiler.  I don't see much motion on the spoiler when turning the axle which would connect through to the steering motor (RC version end of step 45, page 153), and the motion is definitely not symmetrical when turning left and right.

Raise the airbrake all the way up. Disconnect the grey 16 gear on the bottom and make sure the movement goes smoothly back and forth. Find the middle position of the spoiler, then engage.

2 hours ago, LvdH said:

There is some fine tuning you can do. The 2L liftarm with the linkages on it should be in the middle when the wheels are centred. 

Correct :thumbup:

On 3/1/2020 at 7:49 PM, brunojj1 said:

Raise the airbrake all the way up. Disconnect the grey 16 gear on the bottom and make sure the movement goes smoothly back and forth. Find the middle position of the spoiler, then engage. 

Thanks - my problem turned out to be using pins with friction ridges by mistake.  Once I replaced these, it works exactly as expected - thank you!

Just finished mine too, what a beautiful build, thank you very much!!

20200314-113011.jpg

On 1/19/2020 at 9:04 PM, brunojj1 said:

hi bruno i want to purchase wheels like that, can you tell what wheels do you have, the right or the left?

Firefox_Screenshot_2020-03-18T16-41-54.823Z.jpg

On 2/28/2020 at 9:44 PM, brunojj1 said:

Thanks for your attention. I believe once I even had considered to use your solution, but then changed it back to the shown above - don´t remember for what (admittedly stupid) reason that was :innocent:.

I hope I could rescue you from the boredom of "the common" for a while :blush:

It´s not supposed to be disassembled at any time anyway. If so, use an axe or hammer, I don´t care then :laugh:.

Not exactly. First of all, in the times of PC one should emphasize: it´s not a Ferrari! (only a replica, "inspired by"). So it´s supposed to be an "inspired by 488 Pista" or something. Sorry to disappoint you, but I can´t tell you anything more about it by now and not on this forum. Stay tuned for a few months :wink:.

Exciting times. I look forward to seeing this Ferrari inspired MOC :).

22 hours ago, aniking said:

hi bruno i want to purchase wheels like that, can you tell what wheels do you have, the right or the left?

It´s all a matter of taste. I´ve had chosen the full chromed on the right. The color is rather kind of darker shiny gun metal than silver. "Normal" chrome simply isn´t available there. 

7 hours ago, Raymonndo said:

Exciting times. I look forward to seeing this Ferrari inspired MOC :).

Slightly offtopic but: A hardtop convertable pista would be awesome cause there is an abundance of mechananized hardtop convertables. I thought I could just combine the mclaren p1 with the mclaren 675 LT spider but also with an 8 speed gearbox like in the 42083, however due to attention problems I have never finished a single MOC (though I'm good at building official sets/peoples MOCs). There is the power funcrions tribute car which has a proper dual hinged mechanical hardtop but it doesn't have many other functions. I can still build the MOCs I bought I suppose and Iooking forward to seeing the ferrari regardless.