brunojj1

[MOC] McLaren P1 hypercar 1:8 manual & RC w/ instructions

13 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

I´ve been thinking a lot about this issue as well. Unfortunately I found no possibility to make it happen. The only expert who comes into my mind who has the potential to solve an issue like this perfectly is @Sariel IMHO :blush:...

You're being too kind :) I see we're talking about EL wires. I actually have a red one and the problem is, it looks pinkish. The EL wires always have a white glowing core under a colored plastic over. This works reasonably well for blue or green, but red just end up looking pink. I wonder if fiber cables with red LEDs might produce better results?

7 hours ago, Sariel said:

... I wonder if fiber cables with red LEDs might produce better results?

I´ve been exploring the same idea, but couldn´t find anything suitable. Then I even considered and bought these  fiber optics cables  #x165 featured in official Lego sets: 

x165.png

Unfortunately the cable is too thin to hold its shape and doesn´t work effectively with Lego LEDs combined with red and/or orange trans clear plates.

To make it glow how it´s designed to be, you would need this element :

6637.png

It was impossible to install it somewhere in the corner & make it work as desired...

Edited by brunojj1

3 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

6637.png

It was impossible to install it somewhere in the corner & make it work as desired...

Nothing lost here, I have this element, and looking at it right not, the glow in the fiber is very faint when seen from the side. Also, it gets fainter very quickly further from this element.

20 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

I´ve been exploring the same idea, but couldn´t find anything suitable. Then I even considered and bought these  fiber optics cables  #x165 featured in official Lego sets: 

x165.png

Unfortunately the cable is too thin to hold its shape and doesn´t work effectively with Lego LEDs combined with red and/or orange trans clear plates.

did you have try this fiber optics cables ? Did it glow the full cable length or only by the end ?

maybe we can cover it with a red drinking straw. This straw you can bring in form with hot air.

Like I said in the post before yours, only one side of the cable glows, and very faintly when seen from a side.

Another solution you may want to explore are LED tubes used in RC car tuning (see below). I have a couple of blue ones. Pros: very bright, even glow over the entire surface, strongly colored (blue is blue, not bluish white). Cons: the tubes are large, thick, and not very flexible. I think you can only bend them a dozen degrees or so without damage, and they're pretty short in terms of length-to-width ratio.

Image result for led tube rc

Edited by Sariel

Because fiber optics are designed to transfer light efficiently rather than show (loss), it's hard to get lumen output at a visually appealing level, because then they wouldn't be fibers. :-)

I think you may want to have flex LED strips e.g. http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Led_strips.htm

Sorry, it's not an official TLC product, but can't think of anything else for your needs.

I hope this helps

Edited by Mysh
Spelling

I think I found a solution:

https://www.hoelleinshop.com/SONDERAKTIONEN/Sonderverkauf-SIMPROP/Light-Pipe-o2x1000mm-ROT-0103713-SONDERPREIS-solange-Vorrat-.htm?shop=hoellein&SessionId=&a=article&ProdNr=S0103713&t=22274&c=77521&p=77521

Did anybody can answer me how is the Lights on the rearside looks like (drivelight, breaklight, signallight). I can not find any picture on the Internet

This kind of cold light is mainly used in electro-optic dance costumes. It can be cut into any length, a variety of colors to choose from. It needs 12V voltage and special drive to work. I hope this help.

s-l500.jpg

Thank you guys for all that interesting input, I´d really wish one of them could work. At the time I don´t see any big opportunity to experiment more on my car and no urgent necessity to add major changes, but I´d really apreciate to see it accomplished by somebody else - please share the solution here if it´s the case! 

@key5277 your suggestion looks most promising and theoretically could be adapted to the 12V Buwizz somehow, if not to the 9V PF system as well. Where can one purchase that?

To those still anticipating instructions for the RC version: I´m sorry, but I still can´t announce any release date, it´s still in progress. Seems like this wish for Christmas will not be fulfilled...

Brunojj1,

Awesome design and a fun build. Took time over the last few months and came away with an impressive addition to the collection. I jumped around in the instructions, making subtle changes along the way to personalize. A few parts were sourced from around the world, making this build even more meaningful. Waiting for a couple of parts to arrive, but will post pics of what I have. You have offered a phenomenal platform where we can use our imaginations, making this an evolving process of ideas and mods. Great job and thank you for sharing!

I’ll post some current pics shortly!

80421035-2022-4602-B681-1DAC26CB560C.jpeg

991B246A-C441-4156-8822-C69591410887.jpeg

6BD1D58F-9B4B-4E7E-9DA4-4A8A8E27B70B.jpeg

Edited by clively
Add photo

Searching for "EL cold light" on eBay is believed to be fruitful. The result of my search is that these products are basically from China and I don't know if they are sold locally. It should also be noted that the shape of the lamp, about 3mm in diameter, requires the purchase of lights and drivers to work, the minimum operating voltage is 3V, low voltage working brightness will be reduced, so the replacement of power interface can be directly connected to the battery box. I'll buy some and do some tests, hoping to succeed.

@brunojj1 At the same time, thank you for your efforts and persistence, although the RC version of the instructions have not been completed, you do not need to apologize, we all know that you did not give up, thank you again, and wish you a Merry Christmas.

Edited by key5277

18 hours ago, clively said:

Brunojj1,

Awesome design and a fun build. Took time over the last few months and came away with an impressive addition to the collection. I jumped around in the instructions, making subtle changes along the way to personalize. A few parts were sourced from around the world, making this build even more meaningful. Waiting for a couple of parts to arrive, but will post pics of what I have. You have offered a phenomenal platform where we can use our imaginations, making this an evolving process of ideas and mods. Great job and thank you for sharing!

I’ll post some current pics shortly!

Thank you for sharing too! I love to read feedbacks especially of this sort. 

Indeed the model was designed as a platform for further developments and modifications. You can simply leave out any function, use the chassis as basis for any other RWD supercar in 1/8 scale and adapt it to your needs. I´m interested to learn more about your version, e.g. how you attached the rear cover. And btw - very nice job on the the exhaust pipes :thumbup:.

If you´d like to share pictures here on EB, it´s recommended to upload them somewhere else (bricksafe, flickr, ...) and post direct .jpg links here (max. width 1K).

5 hours ago, key5277 said:

Searching for "EL cold light" on eBay is believed to be fruitful. The result of my search is that these products are basically from China and I don't know if they are sold locally. It should also be noted that the shape of the lamp, about 3mm in diameter, requires the purchase of lights and drivers to work, the minimum operating voltage is 3V, low voltage working brightness will be reduced, so the replacement of power interface can be directly connected to the battery box. I'll buy some and do some tests, hoping to succeed.

@brunojj1 At the same time, thank you for your efforts and persistence, although the RC version of the instructions have not been completed, you do not need to apologize, we all know that you did not give up, thank you again, and wish you a Merry Christmas.

I´d be very interested in your result with the rear lights and then perhaps consider it for myself some day.

I wish everybody a wonderfull Merry Christmas too, all Lego Technic fans in China included :wink: !

Edited by brunojj1

6 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

Thank you for sharing too! I love to read feedbacks especially of this sort. 

Indeed the model was designed as a platform for further developments and modifications. You can simply leave out any function, use the chassis as basis for any other RWD supercar in 1/8 scale and adapt it to your needs. I´m interested to learn more about your version, e.g. how you attached the rear cover. And btw - very nice job on the the exhaust pipes :thumbup:.

If you´d like to share pictures here on EB, it´s recommended to upload them somewhere else (bricksafe, flickr, ...) and post direct .jpg links here (max. width 1K).

I´d be very interested in your result with the rear lights and then perhaps consider it for myself some day.

I wish everybody a wonderfull Merry Christmas too, all Lego Technic fans in China included :wink: !

Thank you brunojj1. Just opened a Flickr account and posted a few more photos there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/158360440@N05/

The rear cover is attached using your basic system slightly modified with a double hinge (similar to what you did in the front) to clear the overhang of the air scoop / 3rd brake light. The piece you used for the wiper arm was just the right angle to provide support for the cover and folds neatly out of the way into the cover when closing. I’m still playing with the hinge design in an effort to simplify it further.

I attempted to use the Bugatti rotors on the Porsche wheels but could not get enough clearance for calipers and wheels kept popping off. Incorporated the Lego piston engine parts and made a few mods to make that fit and function along with the addition of some turbo plumbing. Mirrors are similar to the race version of the P1. Made a few slight changes on the rear to tighten up gaps as I opted not to use the fence (but miss the visibility into the engine bay). Up front plumbed a brake cooling duct to where the larger fences would have been.

You’ve encouraged us to think with this model, both in assembly and with ideas. Look forward to seeing this family evolve with your creation. 

On 12/26/2018 at 10:43 AM, bricks360 said:

Thank you clively for posting photos of your McLaren P1 on Flickr!  All your photos look fantastic!

Thank you. Just posted some more. Happier with the simplified rear hinge and strut support (updated pics are towards the top of page), but still playing with prop rod ideas. With the updating the hinge and slightly relocating the adjustment knob to raise and lower spoiler, was able to get the rear cover to sit as low and flush as it did without the hinge. Aside from a slight view of the prop rods with cover closed, it’s concealed fairly well. There’s enough support to angle the lid in multiple positions. Will post captions later.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/158360440@N05/

Happy New Years everyone!

Some progress pictures so far... 

Having great fun with this build - unfortunately missing a few parts,  i didn't order enough of the black fence parts and ordered some of the rear panels in white instead of black and missing some red parts for the chair. Ill need to do one final order when the build is finished :)

The only issue i have so far is the rear spoiler - the lift arms are rotating in opposite directions, so one side is trying to lower while the other is trying to raise. I only discovered once i had put the rear end into place and connected everything. 

Does anyone know what i have done wrong or had a similar issue? I think it will require a fair bit of dismantling to fix as the gears are under the engine for memory. Any tips welcome. 

Thanks again and happy holidays 

45592272785_8d5303af5b_z.jpg

45592272595_69883a9b37_z.jpg

32632447778_71012088bc_m.jpg32632448548_23da4f653e_m.jpg

@nahpets, the liftarms? Do you mean the actuators? That's not an easy fix. Check if you put the tan gears in the correct orientation. They should both be (viewed from the back of the car) on the right side. You did something wrong at the front brake callipers btw. 

Test picture.

Just started my build. A couple of hours here and there. This willl be a long process!

C6-CA8348-52-C1-423-C-ABC4-4801892-A9-C6

82-E5-C436-5-E19-462-A-B729-9-B2-B0-F6-E

Edited by bodmin

Happy New Year all together!

White Christmas didn´t happen last year as anticipated, but what can we do, there are things in life worse than this. Here we go with the major update – the final release of the RC instructions.

Thorsten did a tremendous job on this, but it took some time. The bodywork color shown is WHITE and it looks as good as orange IMO, a matter of taste of couse. So now it can be build in the both mentionned colors or in black from original Lego parts only.

800x339.jpg

800x313.jpg

800x371.jpg

800x387.jpg

Motorization options: as indicated in the original video – 3 alternative options can be built. Unfortunately it wasn´t possible to show all of them in the instructions, but only the full version. The downgrade from the full version is not too complicated and doesn´t require too many additional parts. Considering the overall complexity of the build, you can do the adaptations yourself - if you are able to take on the entire challenge at all!

800x416.jpg

• full version (2 x XL + 2 x L motors). Although you can´t expect performance anywhere near usual RC cars, the max motorization works fine and the motors combination engages the differential from both sides with rationalized gear reductions – 3:1 at the XL motors and 5:3 at the L motors, reducton at the differential not counted. Sounds ridiculous, but I´m having fun with the acceleration / braking, displaying & driving it on my 1.5m long table in the living room from time to time.

• 2 x XL motors: recommended gear reduction 5:3, differential not counted. To fill the gaps where the L motors are missing, supposedly 1x additional 7x5 frame + few other parts are needed to make the bottom stable. A tutorial update with LDD file will be posted within the next few days.

• 2 x L motors: recommended gear reduction 1:1, differential not counted. To fill the gaps where the XL motors are missing, supposedly 2x additional 7x5 frames + few other parts are needed to make the sides more stable. A tutorial update with LDD file will be posted within the next few days.

2 x Sbricks are required in the model – all 8 channels being used. 1 XL + 1L are sharing one channel on each Sbrick.

Screenshot_20190102-002842%202.png

An individual profile can be made yourself by using this helpfull designer tool. 

Exhaust: the sufficiently discussed issue with the #6797 part can´t be solved other than by replacement. I´ve asked seven studds if he could make a 3D – printed substitute for this part, but it seems he couldn´t find the time. However, the part remains the same in the instructions. I´ve made 3 brick-built variations of which one can be chosen / modified or a different one can be self-made if the proposed are not apreciated. Just my personal POV - the abcense of one single piece never stops me building anything I want, an inevitable part of the game.

Edited by brunojj1

Greatest job! Some photo/renders in black and on black unpainted wheels would be very appreciated! Need to choose which color to collect..

• 2 x XL motors: recommended gear reduction 5:3, differential not counted. To fill the gaps where the L motors are missing, supposedly 1x additional 7x5 frame + few other parts are needed to make the bottom stable. A tutorial update with LDD file will be posted within the next few days.

The transparent parts stay the same as in the full version. The coloured parts have to be added. LDD file here.

640x333.jpg

• 2 x L motors: recommended gear reduction 1:1, differential not counted. To fill the gaps where the XL motors are missing, supposedly 2x additional 7x5 frames + few other parts are needed to make the sides more stable. A tutorial update with LDD file will be posted within the next few days.

The transparent parts stay the same as in the full version. The coloured parts have to be added. LDD file here.

640x333.jpg

Edited by brunojj1

Finally! Very cool! Can't wait to build one with the colours of 42083

Edited by SamuelYsc
type error

Thank you very much for the RC instructions Bruno! I will build this in the near future for sure, eventhough it will bankrob me:laugh:. I would have loved to see a picture of this and you laferrari together.  I am sure that some day, someone will have the three legendary hypercars on their shelf!

Wow! I just wanted to say THANK YOU to Bruno (and Thorsten) for making this possible and giving us the R/C version instructions right after the new year!  Super grateful for this!

I went ahead and purchased part #6797 and the R/C version instructions today as my first steps.  Can't wait to purchase all the parts and start my build.  I'm going to be doing the orange color on the R/C version.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!