brunojj1

[MOC] McLaren P1 hypercar 1:8 manual & RC w/ instructions

Blocked because of copyright...interesting. McLaren team initiated a  claim??

No way, why should they. Thorsten Spelz, the instructions creator, has filed complaints about copyright infringements commited by promoters of the fake rubbush version from darkland, you know what I´m referring to. His eagerness has reached beyond the goal and YT removed my video too :ugh:... I have high suspission anyway that the big tech giants are going way too far nowadays with their censorship. The rescission probably will take another day.. If they are too dumb to recognize their mistake, I can´t help it but to upload the video again. I´m tired of all of this s.h.i.t....

The Googlers (YT censorship employees) seem to be too dumb indeed to restore my innocent video, I can´t help it. The video is live again: 

I’m just about to embark on building this model. Have downloaded the  instructions and busy sorting the parts. I’ve completed the 42056 Pimp my Porsche variant, now dismantled, and have been meticulously counting and checking the parts.

My only concern is the infamous air scoop part no 6797. My question is that in the event of being unable to source this item has anyone come up with an alternative to avoid using it? I’m thinking that there must be a solution to use readily available parts without spoiling the appearance of the model.

I’m also going to use grey & red #3 connectors until orange ones become more affordable in future.

A brick built alternative would be your only option, until you get lucky if someone offers a cheap one on Bricklink. By the way, orange #3 connectors are coming back very soon, in 2019 :wink: 

If you're not against it, you could 3D print it. A STL file is available here, but I don't know how faithful to the original part the model is.

(And, since I'm here, it would be rude from me not to congratulate @brunojj1 for his fantastic build  :wink: )

@brunojj1 you have created an amazing moc; however, unfortunately you have used the perfect storm of a piece for the exhaust.  No equivalent and low stock at the time, which is completely gone now.

I know you are working on the RC version instructions right now, and with no stock of the 6797 piece, have you considered trying to redesign that area?

I have already built your amazing moc, but I know some people including myself, if pieces don't exist or too cost prohibitive to buy I don't build it.  I would hate to see all that effort put into the RC instructions only to have people upset that they can't actually build it.  The exhaust piece you used was ingenious and perfect for that car so it should still be included but maybe an alternative for the people who can't get it?

3 hours ago, bodmin said:

I’m just about to embark on building this model. Have downloaded the  instructions and busy sorting the parts. I’ve completed the 42056 Pimp my Porsche variant, now dismantled, and have been meticulously counting and checking the parts.

My only concern is the infamous air scoop part no 6797. My question is that in the event of being unable to source this item has anyone come up with an alternative to avoid using it? I’m thinking that there must be a solution to use readily available parts without spoiling the appearance of the model.

I’m also going to use grey & red #3 connectors until orange ones become more affordable in future.

All I can say is: sorry for the inconvenience! I´m working on alternative(s) - both brick built / out of Technic parts, which can´t be perfect of course, but I will present it here very soon.

3 hours ago, LvdH said:

A brick built alternative would be your only option, until you get lucky if someone offers a cheap one on Bricklink. By the way, orange #3 connectors are coming back very soon, in 2019 :wink: 

I really hope that the #42093 Corvette will stay orange and not be changed into yellow (which would be great too from another perspective) :wink:

2 hours ago, Leewan said:

If you're not against it, you could 3D print it. A STL file is available here, but I don't know how faithful to the original part the model is.

(And, since I'm here, it would be rude from me not to congratulate @brunojj1 for his fantastic build  :wink: )

I´ve been thinking about that too - we have some experienced guys around. The problem could be that not many buyers would opt for a 3D printed alternative for various reasons, such price incl. shippping, rough surface, colouring required and so on. Anyway, I will discuss it with @SevenStuds tomorrow. And thanks for coming around!

56 minutes ago, technic_addict said:

@brunojj1 you have created an amazing moc; however, unfortunately you have used the perfect storm of a piece for the exhaust.  No equivalent and low stock at the time, which is completely gone now.

I know you are working on the RC version instructions right now, and with no stock of the 6797 piece, have you considered trying to redesign that area?

I have already built your amazing moc, but I know some people including myself, if pieces don't exist or too cost prohibitive to buy I don't build it.  I would hate to see all that effort put into the RC instructions only to have people upset that they can't actually build it.  The exhaust piece you used was ingenious and perfect for that car so it should still be included but maybe an alternative for the people who can't get it?

Thanks for your moral support, always apreciated, my friend! The use of that specific part was mandatory for me. It wasn´t my idea - this part was used in an earlier P1 model created by TheMatiss56: https://vid-moon.com/video/QBH0jCfwgDBd0dbZgE

I didn´t expect the vast demand for my MOC, but I really can see the need and will work on this issue. 

Edited by brunojj1

19 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

All I can say is: sorry for the inconvenience! I´m working on alternative(s) - both brick built / out of Technic parts, which can´t be perfect of course, but I will present it here very soon.

Brunojj1 - the last thing you need to be doing is apologising for the inconvenience. I feel humbled to be addressed by the great designer himself!

I will be interested to hear the outcome of a possible 3D printed version of 6797. I'm sure there would be a high demand for it, so maybe a print run of 50 - 100 would make it more economical. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the texture or colour as long as it fitted and looked right.

On another note I see that the air scoop, the orange #3 connectors, and the ribbed hose are no longer listed in the rebrickable parts list. Not sure why that is? These are the three low/zero availability parts.

@bodmin: However I´m feeling sorry for all those who can´t buy the pieces which simply are no longer on the market. I just want to see everybody be happy and enjoy the model as I do myself. And you don´t need to call me great or feel humbled, I´m a normal average person however :wink:.

I will keep you updated about the progress of the exhaust substitute. If printed in 3D, the part can be done in black which would match some original cars versions pretty good. 

Your statement about the rare parts being not listed on rebrickable must be corrected a bit: these parts aren´t available on the free bricklink market anymore (any lots for sale), but they are still listed in the models rebrickable partslist.

Orange connectors will be available in 2019. Ribbed hoses - issue not as important. If you can wait till Christmas - I´m planning to release the RC version in WHITE color, using some of the new Porsche parts there + new exhaust whatever it will be.

2 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

@bodmin: However I´m feeling sorry for all those who can´t buy the pieces which simply are no longer on the market. I just want to see everybody be happy and enjoy the model as I do myself. And you don´t need to call me great or feel humbled, I´m a normal average person however :wink:.

I will keep you updated about the progress of the exhaust substitute. If printed in 3D, the part can be done in black which would match some original cars versions pretty good. 

Your statement about the rare parts being not listed on rebrickable must be corrected a bit: these parts aren´t available on the free bricklink market anymore (any lots for sale), but they are still listed in the models rebrickable partslist.

Orange connectors will be available in 2019. Ribbed hoses - issue not as important. If you can wait till Christmas - I´m planning to release the RC version in WHITE color, using some of the new Porsche parts there + new exhaust whatever it will be.

Are the bodies between the manual and RC the same?  I would consider swapping orange and white at some point.

1 hour ago, technic_addict said:

Are the bodies between the manual and RC the same?  I would consider swapping orange and white at some point.

As far as I´m concerned now we should have everything in white to replace most of the orange parts, probably make few unsignificant changes here and there. So all in all Yes - it will look great in white with golden chromed wheels, believe me :wink:.

Edited by brunojj1

The only rare parts in white would be 2x 32039, used at the doors. Doesn’t look like they can be replaced. And of course the new parts (from 42096) would be hard to find for a decent price. Usually Bricks and Pieces has them though. 

YEY can't wait for the white RC version!

Edited by SNIPE

The availability of the exhaust part #6797 is literally exhausted. Fun fact: the green variant was used as trash bin in the Lego Scala series in 1997. I was totally unaware about the existence of such a product line from TLG some 20 years ago :grin:.

3D printed substitute in neutral black is in progress and probably will be released together with the RC instructions by end of the year. Apologies in advance if it will not happen in time or not at all in worst case – I can´t do it myself and have to rely on others, same with the instructions. But we are not in a hurry with anything, it´s still a hobby for all participants.

In the meanwhile one can consider the following brick built options, the best possible alternatives I managed to come up with. Check out the LDD file as well.

exh_alt02.jpg

Edited by brunojj1

@brunnojj1 Great work there. Looking forward to the printed part becoming available.

I might also try your brick built alternative as my build will be starting shortly.

Can anyone advise if it’s possible to open an LDD file on an iPad?

This is *such* a beautiful MOC.  And only pales in comparison to the Ferrari LaFerrari consigned build you did here that i've been pinning away over:  

Thanks, I´m always happy to know that some people valuate my work (e.g. most of my relatives don´t, they´re just "normal" people :laugh:). I don´t fall for the flattery for multiple reasons, let me explain a bit. First of all: these models can´t be as beautifull as the original counterparts are – they´re only more or less successfull replicas of some really beautiful cars! It´s like „the moon is shining so bright“ - it doesn´t at all, but only reflects small portions of the sunlight. So most of the glory already should go to the designers who managed to implement there visions and create the greatest looking, most spectacular vehicles in history regarding looks and performance (nobody must agree of course). I personally agree that the real McLaren P1 kind of „pales“ in comparison to the LaFerrari, at least regarding aesthetics. But it´s not valid about my Technic models. There are years of development between them regarding correct propoportions, gaining building skills, used techniques and improvement of the rational/technical approach. Big differences also regarding the priorities in design which I tried to describe in honest manner. The experience from the Ferrari was usefull to learn many things for future projects. The P1 was a further development of some ideas, but nowhere perfect in any terms. Of course it´s my intention to catch the eyes of people and trigger some recognition effect, but there is more about the whole thing. Sounds philosophical, but it´s true: under the shiny surface is the science and joy of discovery which you can figure out only by doing something yourself. As well a lot of sweat and tears, up and downs. Trying to find solutions for technical problems on your own, create functional working mechanisms, extend personal limits and the satisfaction of playing.

Nice read @brunojj1 :thumbup:! This is how I experience building too, although I wouldn't want to compare my skills with yours, not when it comes to aesthetics.

@brunojj1 +1, Great thinkings! And of course during this all we all get the satisfaction not only from playing but from developing our MOCs too!

On 11/26/2018 at 9:23 PM, brunojj1 said:

Thanks, I´m always happy to know that some people valuate my work (e.g. most of my relatives don´t, they´re just "normal" people :laugh:). I don´t fall for the flattery for multiple reasons, let me explain a bit. First of all: these models can´t be as beautifull as the original counterparts are – they´re only more or less successfull replicas of some really beautiful cars! It´s like „the moon is shining so bright“ - it doesn´t at all, but only reflects small portions of the sunlight. So most of the glory already should go to the designers who managed to implement there visions and create the greatest looking, most spectacular vehicles in history regarding looks and performance (nobody must agree of course). I personally agree that the real McLaren P1 kind of „pales“ in comparison to the LaFerrari, at least regarding aesthetics. But it´s not valid about my Technic models. There are years of development between them regarding correct propoportions, gaining building skills, used techniques and improvement of the rational/technical approach. Big differences also regarding the priorities in design which I tried to describe in honest manner. The experience from the Ferrari was usefull to learn many things for future projects. The P1 was a further development of some ideas, but nowhere perfect in any terms. Of course it´s my intention to catch the eyes of people and trigger some recognition effect, but there is more about the whole thing. Sounds philosophical, but it´s true: under the shiny surface is the science and joy of discovery which you can figure out only by doing something yourself. As well a lot of sweat and tears, up and downs. Trying to find solutions for technical problems on your own, create functional working mechanisms, extend personal limits and the satisfaction of playing.

That's almost as beautiful as your McLaren MoC.  :D

BR,

Jeff

P.S. Wouldn't you know it that I *just happen* to own an original 8465 set for that air scoop you used as an exhaust (along with an 8466)...now I just need to find it in all my bins/boxes...  :(  I'm almost done with the bricklinking of parts...I'm purchasing plans now.

Edited by jeffmcclain