brunojj1

[MOC] McLaren P1 hypercar 1:8 manual & RC w/ instructions

7 minutes ago, Markurius said:

About the airscoop, only 1 left on BrickLink, in Canada. Anyone have an idea of an alternative?

You can always try your hand at converting the P1 into the P1 GTR version which uses rounded exhaust.   How much are those scoops going for now out of curiosity?  

1 hour ago, Markurius said:

About the airscoop, only 1 left on BrickLink, in Canada. Anyone have an idea of an alternative?

Yes - buy internationally. There 21 sellers as of today - the part is relatively cheap and the Germans in particular tend to have pretty low post rates. There is also one usa seller who must be pretty easy for a canadian.

In light of the up coming plagiarism and commercial exploitation, I feel I should help you out bruno - I just made a purchase of this model to help support the publication of great MOCs. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Markurius said:

Its a unique piece which I don't think is easy to replicate.  I would just buy the piece.

9 hours ago, bonox said:

Yes - buy internationally. There 21 sellers as of today - the part is relatively cheap and the Germans in particular tend to have pretty low post rates. There is also one usa seller who must be pretty easy for a canadian. 

In light of the up coming plagiarism and commercial exploitation, I feel I should help you out bruno - I just made a purchase of this model to help support the publication of great MOCs. Thanks. 

You misunderstood me, there are only 1(!) seller in the whole world and he is in Canada. It´s for sale for  ~9 dollars. I live in Sweden so shipping are really expensive.

substitute for light green instead. It's not like exhausts don't have different colours in general.

Or buy one of the extreme buggies 8465.

It's not a unique rare piece. It's a rare colour only.

I love this model, I'm trying to price it up with a spare Technic Porsche GT3 - the number 3 connectors are getting hard to source - and I have to paint the wheels? Sorry, which paint would anyone recommend? I'm good with a spray can, so no issue re-painting some wheels if needed, but what colour is everyone using?

On 9/19/2018 at 9:16 AM, Markurius said:

You misunderstood me, there are only 1(!) seller in the whole world and he is in Canada. It´s for sale for  ~9 dollars. I live in Sweden so shipping are really expensive.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=6797&name=Technic Engine Air Scoop 4 x 4 x 1 1/3&category=[Technic]#T=S&C=38&O={"color":"38","iconly":0}

Agree - another part I'll have to use a different colour, hopefully won't matter too much . 

On 9/18/2018 at 11:28 PM, Markurius said:

On 9/18/2018 at 11:39 PM, KD123 said:

You can always try your hand at converting the P1 into the P1 GTR version which uses rounded exhaust.   How much are those scoops going for now out of curiosity?  

On 9/19/2018 at 1:11 AM, bonox said:

19 hours ago, bonox said:

substitute for light green instead. It's not like exhausts don't have different colours in general.

Or buy one of the extreme buggies 8465.

It's not a unique rare piece. It's a rare colour only.

Guys, the scarcity or abscence of one single piece never should bother too much any Lego builder. Be creative instead. Use the green part (unless your purist), spray it in silver color and it will look better than anything IMO. Or be creative and make your own exhaust, change and modify until you are ok with it. Just don´t make it like the clone brand - it´s awful!

Our fellow and greatest Technic expert ever - Eric aka blakbird - provided some magnificent digital renders of my MOC. Big thanks and respect to him, because he is an artist like no one else when it comes to this delicate work :thumbup:.

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

Edited by brunojj1

I didn´t like the airscoop in green though. Luckily i found one in chrome, even better! Another option is to by the Extreme Off-roader...

29 minutes ago, Markurius said:

I didn´t like the airscoop in green though. Luckily i found one in chrome, even better! Another option is to by the Extreme Off-roader...

I don't like in green either. So if I've got to spray paint the wheels looking likely I'll be spray painting that part as well

Only option I think. This moc is too good to pass up on.

I’m currently building this, and so far I am very happy with this model. I’ve finished the monocoque + the rear and a bit of the side/rear bodywork. I have no idea how the spoiler works on the real thing but it’s quite an interesting mechanism. Some minor criticism so far: A few axles with stop are pretty much stuck in a frame. The adjustable suspension has some backlash, when it’s lowered the axle kind of acts as a torsion bar. Otherwise very nice build.. :thumbup:

@LvdH: Thanks for your feedback, keep me updated once finished :wink: !

The rear spoiler on the real car wasn´t possible for me to recreate accurately enough, both in function and shape. It should move at least 1cm higher. Using big LA´s wasn´t an option because they don´t compress low enough. The feature I managed to replicate is the rotational movement of the spoiler while rising. An optional brake function was a must have too, similar to one of my other previous models.

Axles with stop - maybe I´m using them a bit too obsessively, true. But they give a lot of fool proof support and add to rigidity everywhere.

The adjustable suspension shouldn´t be overstressed, but it can hold some heavy torque. I personally don´t care much about slightly twisting axles, because it´s the application which either working or not working. It´s a heavy car after all and I needed to make it work in the motorized version too - double challenge I couldn´t solve better. On the pro side again: you can do smooth adjustments and synchronizations, just take your time.

Edited by brunojj1

I already finished it 2 days ago but I’ve been hesitating whether to post my pictures or not because I’ve had my pictures stolen before for adverts on certain sites. But here’s my bricksafe folder. I built it mostly in original colours; blue brakes, black 3L pins and a few black axle pins. In the pictures the tail light is trans orange but I’ve changed that already. 

https://bricksafe.com/pages/LvdH/collection/mclaren-p1-by-brunojj1#

Some final thoughts: Truly a wonderful moc to look at. I’ve been playing with it turning all the knobs back and forth endlessly, and I must say despite them being slow they are a very nice mechanical touch which makes me forgive the lack of a gearbox. I am also surprised how well the functions all work. I’ve only built a couple cars that worked without needing to tweak anything. I think this is may be new favourite... 

Some criticism too: The hood opening mechanism is a bit awkward, especially keeping it open (which you need to do quite a bit if you want to operate the functions). The suspension complaint is still here, though much less than before. The engine cover was difficult to build, I had issues putting some parts together and it’s all under stress as well. Also made a small building error there with the U-joint sub-assembly. I’ve also had the tan pin at the door hinge go out of the 15100 part a few times which isn’t the easiest to fix. 

I had it done awhile ago but I was waiting for chrome parts which I would like to thank Bubul Chrome Parts for providing me excellent quality parts.

I hope you don't mind but I had made some small changes.  I added flat tiles to the doors which I think looks cleaner.  I added a 1x3 thin liftarms in the back under the wing so the orange flex axle sits properly in place now.  I also used a red flex axle instead of trans clear bars although I am not the first to do this.

Thank-you for a wonderful model Bruno.

1280x774.jpg

1280x514.jpg

1280x1006.jpg

1280x829.jpg

1280x556.jpg

1280x912.jpg

With every new photo I came up with understanding that this car is epic!

Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Angled #3 - 157.5 degrees - in orange are now getting very hard to source locally in the UK - might have to build mine without these and change to other colours until they become available again. I've already had to buy a green air scoop, which i'll have to spray paint..

Once I know I "can" build this I'll get the instructions, just hope changing number 3 angled connector won't ruin its looks too much. 

6 hours ago, iv-tecman said:

Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Angled #3 - 157.5 degrees - in orange are now getting very hard to source locally in the UK - might have to build mine without these and change to other colours until they become available again. I've already had to buy a green air scoop, which i'll have to spray paint..

Once I know I "can" build this I'll get the instructions, just hope changing number 3 angled connector won't ruin its looks too much. 

You can easily swap 7 of them which was discussed a little earlier.

On 10/5/2018 at 2:55 PM, technic_addict said:

You can easily swap 7 of them which was discussed a little earlier.

Yes . I did eventually see this and it's what I'll be going to do.

I've found a local guy willing to Chrome plate nickle silver etc my bricklink Porsche wheels and the air scoop for the exhaust. I'm 70% there. Ran out of budget this month , paid in 3 weeks hopeful to have enough to get final parts .

Thank you for creating such a wonderful work, both in appearance and function, which is so perfect, really like this MOC. Since I like blue very much, I built this McLaren P1 with Bugatti's dark azure, but the dark azure parts are not enough, so I modified some of the structures, including the front fender and the rear hood. It also includes some minor adjustments, I hope you have some suggestions for my changes, and  also look forward to the RC version.

Since I can only publish pictures of 0.1Mb, You may not be able to see clearly, please forgive me.

01.jpg

02.jpg

04.jpg

Edited by key5277

5 minutes ago, key5277 said:

感谢您在外观和功能方面创造出如此精彩的作品,这非常完美,非常喜欢这款MOC。因为我非常喜欢蓝色,所以我用布加迪的黑暗天蓝色制造了迈凯伦P1,但是黑暗的天蓝色部分还不够,所以我修改了一些结构,包括前挡泥板和后挡板。它还包括一些小的调整,我希望你对我的更改有一些建议,并期待RC版本。

Hey key5277, thanks for sharing your exclusive custom version here, which btw is interesting! 

But please respect the community, edit your post and do it properly in the English language, using for example some translator program.

It would be interesting to see this hypercar in blue with orange simultaneously. 

@ key5277:  I guess your changes are as good as they can be, regarding the non-existing elements in dark azure. Good job :thumbup:

You should host your pictures somewhere else and post only direct links here (not bigger than 1000 pixels in width). Then we could have some better impressions and more detailed insights :wink:.

Hi Bruno! I just checked your video, it says it has been removed. Do you plan on re-uploading it? Looking forward to your RC version :classic: