brunojj1

[MOC] McLaren P1 hypercar 1:8 manual & RC w/ instructions

Amazing. Will be adding this to my collection. How long did this design take you? Do you have any pictures of prototypes? 

Geee, man. I'm speechless. This is a masterpiece. The looks, the size and how everything works just like it's supposed to. Genius!!!

1 hour ago, technic_addict said:

@brunojj1 is it possible to put unpainted Porsche wheels on to see how it looks?

Of course, but I don´t like the look. I have mine chromed now btw :thumbup:.

800x389.jpg

14 minutes ago, brunojj1 said:

Of course, but I don´t like the look. I have mine chromed now btw :thumbup:.

It still looks amazing, just not as good as the painted silver ones.  Do you have a picture of the chromed wheels on?

5 minutes ago, technic_addict said:

Do you have a picture of the chromed wheels on?

There will be some published with the release of the RC version. You can gain an impression by checking @Polo-Freak´s version on the page before.

---slow clap--- This thing is wonderful and it has your own unique style to it as well. I love the recent trend of creating modular and instruction friendly models. My, my has the hobby grown. :thumbup:

My one gripe, which is pretty trivial would be that the Lego has not made a greater variety of rims at the scale you are building in. Heck, at any scale for that matter, but hey the fan community can figure that one out.

Edited by madcow

Superb bodywork and great functions! Chassis-stiffness comparable with 42056 makes me less enthousiastic, but I guess you had to make some consessions to live up to all other objectives, like versatility and modularity. And a center console of only 5 studs is a great achievement too (actually, a must-have in a 1:8 scale car imo).

Edited by Didumos69

On 8/18/2018 at 10:24 AM, Rudivdk said:

I was thinking of moving to smaller scale in the future (I'm currently working in 1:10 mainly), but seeing this in 1:8 makes me doubt again...

You will hate the challenge first because you have to expand your thinking too which feels uncomfortable for a while, but soon you will love the space you will have for crazy mechanisms everywhere :wink:. Bodyworking is quite the same challenge and the other hand you need to buy many many more panels...

On 8/20/2018 at 10:33 AM, nerdsforprez said:

No gripe here about no transmission. Its something different. 8070 got alot of flak, but i liked the diversity.  Love this car for the diversity as well.  Adjusting shocks is just awesome.

I liked the 8070 alternative gearbox approach very much too, and the easy motorization option :thumbup:.

You can play constantly with the adjustable suspension of the P1. One feature which I even didn´t mention or show in the video, is the possibility to synchronise both heights and sides of the model. E.g. you want to have a slightly higher rear end, making the car look more sporty to your taste.

800x436.jpg

On 8/20/2018 at 8:52 AM, PhyBuilder said:

Ok, THESE are the kind of builds the words intelectual property are invented for... (I already see cultures wo don't understand that producing a set out of it :thumbdown:)

Let´s hope they won´t dare to do so, I was lucky to be not good enogh with my models yet. I don´t have anything to add here.

On 8/20/2018 at 2:27 PM, SheldonF said:

..How long did this design take you? Do you have any pictures of prototypes? 

The whole project startet approx. 1 year ago and is still ongoing which wasn´t planned so, but who cares. The desing itself probably took half the time and the entire model was mainly finished in February. I don´t like to remember my prototypes, therefore no fun sharing WIP pictures.

11 hours ago, madcow said:

---slow clap--- This thing is wonderful and it has your own unique style to it as well. I love the recent trend of creating modular and instruction friendly models. My, my has the hobby grown. :thumbup:

My one gripe, which is pretty trivial would be that the Lego has not made a greater variety of rims at the scale you are building in. Heck, at any scale for that matter, but hey the fan community can figure that one out.

Your version of the car is very unique and good considering that was your first serious Technic MOC ever! 

My saying about rims, it all won´t help. There is no way around third party parts, if you can´t wait the release of the next UCS car.

9 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Superb bodywork and great functions! Chassis-stiffness comparable with 42056 makes me less enthousiastic, but I guess you had to make some consessions to live up to all other objectives, like versatility and modularity. And a center console of only 5 studs is a great achievement too (actually, a must-have in a 1:8 scale car imo).

I know about your rugged-rigid-concrete obsession and I love the fact how you can set your own standards to you building style and follow it with all consequences :classic: . My priority indeed always has been creating a tunnel which looks realistic and meanwhile being structurally solid. Means it shouldn´t pop out between the seats like a thick prison wall, so that the driver even can´t see into the happy passenger´s eyes :laugh: .

So I posted links to the video on my work car club Facebook group and some people are interested in this.

do you know an approximate GBP  cost for all the parts if you bricklinked ? Or do you have a BrickLink wish list available so I can check?

@Seasider Thanks. At rebrickable you can compare my partslist to other sets - e.g. 42056. Then select the 42,7% of the parts which the Porsche doesn´t have and export a wishlist to BL. I assume total average costs about 500-600 Eur = 450-540 pound sterling. Minus the parts you have on stock already minus the rest of the Porsche parts you should feel a bit less guilty :classic:.. 

Edited by brunojj1

50 minutes ago, brunojj1 said:

@Seasider Thanks. At rebrickable you can compare my partslist to other sets - e.g. 42056. Then select the 42,7% of the parts which the Porsche doesn´t have and export a wishlist to BL. I assume total average costs about 500-600 Eur = 450-540 pound sterling. Minus the parts you have on stock already minus the rest of the Porsche parts you should feel a bit less guilty :classic:.. 

Thanks, the person from work doesn’t have the Porsche so would be buying from scratch

One of the best looking Technic supercars I know about. I also like the very clean underside. Personally I prefer if the seats are a different color from the body, but the shapes of this are perfect. And then all the functions you managed to pack inside. Especially the doors are wonderful.

@brunojj1 I have started building this fantastic car and so far you have done a great job in the modular building steps in the instructions. For such a large car and the number of parts(which I have) the build it very smooth. Thanks!

It's been a while since I've been here but I simply couldn't stay quiet after seeing this - very well done Bruno, you created yet another masterpiece. Too bad it's not a Ferrari, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to get everything needed to build it (I'm not really big fan of McLarens and my lego shelf is pretty much full already, or will be once I finish the last models I have here).

On 8/17/2018 at 7:23 PM, KD123 said:

Just wanted to dive into your thought process when you were putting this masterpiece together!  Please share your challenges and the collaborative work with polofreak?   I'm sure everyone would like to hear more of the story behind this build. :)

On 8/17/2018 at 9:33 PM, brunojj1 said:

I´m sharing a lot of thoughts, pictures, ideas about Lego in general, but as well my WIP with polofreak. Maybe I will share more on that later, thanks for your interest.

On 8/20/2018 at 2:27 PM, SheldonF said:

Do you have any pictures of prototypes? 

As I said, I don´t like to remember my poor earlier designs, the lost time and especially the defeats in my WIP struggle. The unfinished crap is left behind and today I´m enjoying the finished car of my dreams on display. But I can see a kind of „educational“ responsibility, so for those who are interested - here are a few insights I´m willing to share.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

You can e.g. see the fight vs. the front bonnet, which btw. was one of the mentionned sections I improved with Polofreak´s assistance. Doesn´t mean he is dictating anything, but it´s always good to have a qualified second opinion. In this case: the front hood doesn´t have these significant curves and can be rather flat, so I should reorganise the panels composition:

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Another section was the rear part, namely the 4 fence parts which I didn´t want to use first, but Polofreak soon convinced me I should be consistent in my style and rather use them:

800x450.jpg

Unfortunetely I had to shift the doors part of the wheel arch 1 stud towards the rear, because otherwise we have a heavy interference with the wheels turning:

800x450.jpg

Modularity planned beforehand, shown at an earlier stage:

800x450.jpg

On 8/23/2018 at 9:46 PM, Seasider said:

Thanks, the person from work doesn’t have the Porsche so would be buying from scratch

I´ve seen sealed sets for under 200 Eur, the used ones can be bought even cheaper. It makes sence to recommend the set, at least to build a McLaren.

21 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Personally I prefer if the seats are a different color from the body...

I´ve had the same thoughts regarding the seats color and made them black first, like many real P1 do (rather anthracite, who cares). The result wasn´t that great, so I decided to make them orange which makes them stand out of the darker interior in harmony with the rest, so it was the right choice I think.

18 hours ago, filuS said:

It's been a while since I've been here but I simply couldn't stay quiet after seeing this - very well done Bruno, you created yet another masterpiece. Too bad it's not a Ferrari, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to get everything needed to build it (I'm not really big fan of McLarens and my lego shelf is pretty much full already, or will be once I finish the last models I have here).

I´ll be thinking of you particularly while building the next Ferrari. Thanks for coming around!

Edited by brunojj1

I would like to see more WIP projects because it is where you can see well the improvements, bad or good ideas or the despair looking for solutions but I understand too that the final MOC would lose some interest.

Thank you for sharing the WIP pictures and insight into some of the challenges experienced at the time.

I've been comparing the WIP photos with the finished product so see the evolution of your work.  With respect to the front bonnet I see what you were trying to accomplish and how the final product works so much better. Amazing stuff!

It also looks like you're table is fully covered with laminated pictures of the real P1.  That's full commitment to your craft and a constant reminder to be true to the subject.  Respect!

I'm a bit late to the party, but this MOC is awesome! Mind blowing panel work...this comment has even more value if you consider that I'm a huge Ferrari fanboy!

On 8/25/2018 at 2:04 PM, jorgeopesi said:

I would like to see more WIP projects because it is where you can see well the improvements, bad or good ideas or the despair looking for solutions but I understand too that the final MOC would lose some interest.

Or gain even more interest, who knows. Of course it´s nice to watch such projects and discussions, learn, advise and criticize :thumbup:. The sharing can be fun and effective, but not always and not for all of us. For me the focuss lies rather on the matter itself to spend time with, consider pros and contras, having a lot of ideas popping up, so usually no need for any more distracting and confusing ideas & opinions, not honest, qualified or balanced enough.. :wacko:.. 

On 8/25/2018 at 4:37 PM, KD123 said:

...It also looks like you're table is fully covered with laminated pictures of the real P1...

It´s all helpful, cheap and very easy to do :wink:. The blueprints are usual A4 prints taped together after scaling up, using the wheel diameter as reference and / or using Sariel´s model scaler. I´m using a very simple freeware to make a poster: Posterazor. Then print the PDF, compare it with the real wheel 1:1 right on the screen, then make 1-2 adjustments going few steps back. The smaller fotos on the left are printed on glossy foto paper. All together covered by a thick transparent laminate foil. It´s easier to build in scale starting from that, isn´t it :wink:.

1 hour ago, Lucio Switch said:

I'm a bit late to the party, but this MOC is awesome! Mind blowing panel work...this comment has even more value if you consider that I'm a huge Ferrari fanboy!

Didn´t you want to try yourself some day? You may use and adapt some of my chassis components. All it needs is some 3.000 parts, not a big deal for a MOC from you :laugh:...

Thank you so much @brunojj1 ! Your incredible creation is giving so much motivation to keep doing my 720s.

The design is very well balanced and the line of the real car are perfectly done. Amazing.

It seems fit to make my first proper post (apart from the hello new person) to say OMG!!....that is just magnificent, amazing and all the other words others have already posted!! Being a total AFOL noob I'm still plucking up the courage to start on the Porsche 911 kit which I bought as my very first build, since finding this forum I've got into the details and read all the improvements people have found and am ordering the additional pieces as per the errata Didumos69 compiled.......oh and also the GT3RS stickers.

I'm a car person so this appeals massively, I'll see how I progress but maybe venture into having a go at this at some point, if I had one I'd take my hat off to you...awesome! :wink: