brunojj1

[MOC] McLaren P1 hypercar 1:8 manual & RC w/ instructions

The roof on the P1 is extremely difficult to replicate as it seamlessly combines what looks like carbon fiber (arrow shapped) , glass and darkened glass (tinted?).   Did you consider combining Technic panels which are matt in finish for the carbon fiber parts) with shiny tiles to replicate the tinted dark glass sections?  This may increase the thickness of the roof, I don't know.  Just wanted to dive into your thought process when you were putting this masterpiece together!  Please share your challenges and the collaborative work with polofreak?   I'm sure everyone would like to hear more of the story behind this build. :)

What an incredible build, can't wait to see the RC version.  Bravo!

It was difficult to make a quality jump but you are near the moon and going up :thumbup: , very impressive even not being heavy machinery :wink: .

6 hours ago, steph77 said:

PS: this model had rather be in the Scale Modeling section, no?

The distinction has been made between studded models and „pure“ Technic. So this one doesn´t belong there.

6 hours ago, Sariel said:

Makes me wish really hard this was TLG's official successor to the Chiron.

Thanks for the compliment! I speculate it could be a AWD Lambo, a member of the VW group too. 

6 hours ago, LvdH said:

..It's just perfect. 

I´m sorry, nothing can be perfect, especially at this scale. Simply didn´t want to bother anybody with inconvenient stuff (joking :laugh:)

6 hours ago, Aleh said:

But it also created a dilemma:

what to build first - this beauty or the 42082 which is delivering today???

However, you´ll find out they´re quite different :wink:

5 hours ago, zux said:

I wonder how suspension is keeping up the weight? I hope it is not affected by the same issue Porsche has.

The suspension keeps the weight very well. There are 2 shocks per wheel which should be enough for an almost 4 kg model (motorized). The front is stiffer than the rear, no problems at all. I don´t get why they saved 2 shocks on the Porsche front axle.

4 hours ago, technic_addict said:

Its rare for people to use a mixture of XL and L motors for drive.  Did you use different motors any reason other than size for fit?  What are some of the differences between the three options?

The big idea of the modularity is – you can build it with 2x motors only and drive from time to time. No need to build the full version.

Using these motor combinations is nothing new in my creations. You have to find an acceptable RPM ratio between L and XL motor to get max performance. All motors under load should run smoothly and support each other. The full version combined with 2 x batteries is not as fast as it should be, it´s pretty exhausting for standard Lego batteries. 2 x BuWizz should work a lot better, but I couldn´t really test it yet (problems with BT/apps). 

800x416.jpg

2 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

- those manual functions are really too slow (but I love the way those doors open and the location of the operating gears)

Thank you my friend for going into a professional and balanced analysis :thumbup:! I Agree about this point. But it can become part of the „playing“, at least it has for me, unexpected.

- No gearbox in the manual version (but I do love how close the seats are together and how low the center console is, so I guess that is the compromise you made)

You are the one who mentioned it. I love your gearbox designs very much, among few others like PvdB e.g. That´s one of the problems - the bar has been set high long ago before the new gearbox parts of the Bugatti were on the horizon. I don´t need a halfbaken, space consuming mechanism which doesn´t do anything interesting. However, it shouldn´t be impossible to install one into the module between cockpit and rear axle.

- the orange tiles in the door maybe?

Admittedly they look a bit rough, but on the other hand they contribute to the overall flow of the line.

How is the longitudal stiffness? It looks like you had very little height nor width to work with between the seats. Do the vertical 3x11 panels at the side help a lot?

Good point, it´s very crucial to make a chassis as stiff as possible. It can´t be compared to the stiffness of e.g. the Bugatti, but I would say it´s similar to the Porsche.

The tunnel between the seats has 5 studs in width and height – means as low and as narrow as possible. The 3x11 panels at the sides help too – such compomises can be called crazy by others. You can´t have it all.

2 hours ago, KD123 said:

Did you consider combining Technic panels which are matt in finish for the carbon fiber parts) with shiny tiles to replicate the tinted dark glass sections?

I can´t distinct matt and gloss black panels, rather consider the suitable shape to fit in here and there :wink:

2 hours ago, KD123 said:

Just wanted to dive into your thought process when you were putting this masterpiece together!  Please share your challenges and the collaborative work with polofreak?   I'm sure everyone would like to hear more of the story behind this build. :)

I think there were so many challenges, not easy to tell in a few words or to pick one special. Probably the adjustable suspension was the biggest one with countless rebuilds to make everything compact. It was a very long journey which I enjoyed most of the time, but many frustrations were also a big part of the experience. I´m sharing a lot of thoughts, pictures, ideas about Lego in general, but as well my WIP with polofreak. Maybe I will share more on that later, thanks for your interest.

1 hour ago, jorgeopesi said:

...even not being heavy machinery :wink: .

This is your part, although I´d love to see another car from you :sweet:! But I understand, you have to decide at some point where to put your energy and develop (not endless) capacities.

To all: big thanks for your warm words and positive feedback which is very motivating!

Edited by brunojj1

This is simply nothing short of incredible. It seems to look great from every angle and you really nailed the flowing lines of such a curvy car. To top it all off you have a list of flawless functions, the RC/HOG models will keep everyone happy and as always some very innovative designs. Well done sir :wub::wub:

Edited by DugaldIC

Perfect design with flexible modular building design in such huge scale is something insane for my mind*huh*

I love how you managed to build manual and RC with different motor configuration.  My personal choice is manual, even without gearbox it will look awesome next to 911 and Chiron.

:thumbup:

So great to see your MOC released :wink:. As you see, I am not the only one who said that is the best Technic car ever seen. :laugh: The performance of the RC is amazing and all functions are pretty well executed. I really like how works the spoiler and aero break. The bodywork is on another level given the absence of flex axles on the most difficult and crazy sections of the car. What else could I say... Because there are too many details to go deep into 

Just congrats for that amazing car and thank you for  brings us the chance to build and have our own copy 

If it's your first 1:8 car,  I can't imagine how will be the next 

What a great car! If I buy the instructions for the manual version now, will the RC instructions be provided as part of the package later on?

12 hours ago, DugaldIC said:

Thank you, Sir! Can´t wait to see your Pagani :blush:.

5 hours ago, rm8 said:

My personal choice is manual, even without gearbox it will look awesome next to 911 and Chiron.

You can´t spot any gearbox in the latter ones anyway :laugh:. And didn´t like to post "comparison pictures" for some reasons...

2 hours ago, Jonfensu said:

..If it's your first 1:8 car,  I can't imagine how will be the next 

Thanks man! It´s not my first 1:8 car, but the first I´ve published. There were a few failed projects like Ford GT and Ferrari 288 GTO (2 x fails), finished to 50 - 80%. Can´t tell you about the next here, but we will exchange some PM from time to time :wink:.

46 minutes ago, emielroumen said:

..will the RC instructions be provided as part of the package later on?

Sorry, no. There will be a big RC package worth being offered separately. I´m thinking about a small upgrade for the manual model though, which contains 2 LED kits + 1 extension + Battery at the passengers side behind the seat, as part of the package or separately but for free.

Edited by brunojj1

I happen to see one driving by IRL yesterday (around the same time you posted this, coincidence...?) and I must say your rendition looks spot on to me. Very beautiful build.

I was thinking of moving to smaller scale in the future (I'm currently working in 1:10 mainly), but seeing this in 1:8 makes me doubt again...

5 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

Sorry, no. There will be a big RC package worth being offered separately. I´m thinking about a small upgrade for the manual model though, which contains 2 LED kits + 1 extension + Battery at the passengers side behind the seat, as part of the package or separately but for free.

Thanks for the answer. I’ll compare the 2 offerings once the RC version becomes available to decide which one to purchase.

Model looks great. Very faithful to the original. In aesthetics, one of, if not the best Technic model that represents a real car. Might have to break down and buy the plans to see how you pulled off some of the body building techniques. Shame there is no gearbox for a model of this scale, but I guess that it is understandable.

Edited by Meatman

Also I wanted to mention the biggest Technic supercar collector I´m aware of – our dear EB fellow Georg aka polofreak. He accompanied the design process and pushed me to improve some sections of the model and tested the manual instructions. His exclusive version has no blue pins, avoided colored axles and gears whereever possible and it looks even better than mine ;-)

Many Many Thanks to Brunojj1 - This build was so great / ingenious. :wub:

This Car is truely a Masterpiece and for every Supercar Fan - A MUST HAVE :wink: 

Every function works smoove and really good - and the End Result / Body and Look - absolutly stunning !!!

Today i made few Pics of my P1.

8.jpg  https://picload.org/view/dlllclii/8.jpg.html     4.jpg  https://picload.org/view/dlllccli/4.jpg.html    92.jpg  https://picload.org/view/dlllciar/92.jpg.html

1.jpg  https://picload.org/view/dlllccol/1.jpg.html   5.jpg  https://picload.org/view/dlllcccr/5.jpg.html   93.jpg  https://picload.org/view/dlllciai/93.jpg.html

2.jpg  https://picload.org/view/dlllcclr/2.jpg.html    7.jpg  https://picload.org/view/dlllccci/7.jpg.html    94.jpg  https://picload.org/view/dlllcioi/94.jpg.html

3.jpg  https://picload.org/view/dlllccll/3.jpg.html    6.jpg  https://picload.org/view/dlllccia/6.jpg.html    91.jpg  https://picload.org/view/dlllciow/91.jpg.html

Edited by Polo-Freak

On 8/17/2018 at 2:47 PM, Sariel said:

Masterpiece, as usual from you. Makes me wish really hard this was TLG's official successor to the Chiron.

It doesn't hurt to read the first post. "Wheels are from #42056 set and painted in silver color."

I thank you very much for paying attention. I corrected myself as soon as I could. But as you can see you are a man of high class and you had to pay attention in a very nice way.  This is only a small mistake... 

My gosh this is next level. I’ve been soaking in this build over the past few days and I must say, I am thoroughly impressed. I think the part that may be overlooked most is the fact this thing is modular, and to me that represents one of the the biggest challenges with a heavily functioning and highly detailed car like this. it’s awsome to see @Thorsten50 making instructions again! The door and lift mechanism are tops imo. Keep up the great work @brunojj1 - I always admire your design process and patience! Well done! :wub:

Edited by Lox Lego

Okay, I'm still lost for words. Anyhoo, I rehashed my paypal account, I'm going to look into the instructions.

One minor grip: using the windshield wiper and function selector is a bit strange for me (I know you did the same in the LaFerrari), I'd prefer a normal selector, you don't have to hide/disguise everything (especially with a totally unrelated, but functional-in-real-life thing), it's a functional toy after all.

14 hours ago, Meatman said:

Model looks great. Very faithful to the original. In aesthetics, one of, if not the best Technic model that represents a real car. Might have to break down and buy the plans to see how you pulled off some of the body building techniques. Shame there is no gearbox for a model of this scale, but I guess that it is understandable.

Thanks! I was curious about your opinion. And I could bet you would issue a comment about the missing gearbox :laugh: . I´m warning you - you will discover more nasty things all over the model... It has been designed to my own standards only, but everybody is free to compare and judge according to his own preferences.

17 hours ago, emielroumen said:

Thanks for the answer. I’ll compare the 2 offerings once the RC version becomes available to decide which one to purchase.

You´re welcome!

13 hours ago, Polo-Freak said:

Today i made few Pics of my P1.

You still make me jealous of the cleaner look without blue dots everywhere... Thanks a lot again!

4 hours ago, Lox Lego said:

I think the part that may be overlooked most is the fact this thing is modular, and to me that represents one of the the biggest challenges..

Yes, I think the idea is worth to follow in my future projects. In the end you will have a modular chassis fitting into the approx. scale and no need to redesign everything for the next project, rather adapt and upgrade. E.g. the suspension mechanism is something I want to have in a supercar of modern ages where this feature is a must have. Another idea is to install a well designed (maybe by somebody else) gearbox between monocoque and rear axle. 

46 minutes ago, Lipko said:

Okay, I'm still lost for words. Anyhoo, I rehashed my paypal account, I'm going to look into the instructions.

One minor grip: using the windshield wiper and function selector is a bit strange for me (I know you did the same in the LaFerrari), I'd prefer a normal selector, you don't have to hide/disguise everything (especially with a totally unrelated, but functional-in-real-life thing), it's a functional toy after all.

Thank you Maté, I couldn´t wait to know your opinion! You are right, the windshield wiper should be a function for itself, but not easy to make. However, you can skip the function, remove the gear inside and shift the selector by simply opening the bonnet and moving the driving ring with your finger, which is not so elegant again... Curious about your opinion after the inspection :blush:.

On 8/17/2018 at 7:53 PM, Captain_Quinn said:

My god... that is a work of art!!

This sums up this MOC perfectly. It's simply a pleasure to admire, with the different elements blending into each other to form the exotic lines. There individual panels disappear and become beautiful shapes that represent the real car faithfully. Technic building at the next level. :thumbup: :drool:

Ok, THESE are the kind of builds the words intelectual property are invented for... (I already see cultures wo don't understand that producing a set out of it :thumbdown:)

Everything or most has already been said, what I would like to add: this P1 resembles that it's more than possible to have great lines, coverage and shapes while almost only using Technic parts. And that's cool! As far as I can see, most of the system parts have been used in previous official Technic sets.

Another thing: despite the many functions, including a few non-common ones, this P1 still looks very clean in- and outwarts. You must have done a lot of thinking and trying to get it this way :thumbup: .

No gripe here about no transmission. Its something different. 8070 got alot of flak, but i liked the diversity.  Love this car for the diversity as well.  Adjusting shocks is just awesome.