brunojj1

[MOC] McLaren P1 hypercar 1:8 manual & RC w/ instructions

Do I need to introduce the phenomenal McLaren P1 to anybody? Probably not, everybody knows the hottest rival of the LaFerrari/Porsche 918 Spyder, which all together exist since half a decade ago already.

800x408.jpg

My model presented here isn´t all about a specific car brand, if you take a deeper look. The priorities here: a good looking bodywork and replication of some spectacular functions which resemble the original machine. An equal priority was set regarding the versatility and modularity of the chassis which comes in 7 separate modules and 2 different versions. One in traditional style with manually operated functions, all to be winded up and down by black 20-teeth gears. And one bold approach on a remote control chassis of which the motorization of the drivetrain can be modified within 3 possible options.

800x396.jpg

Specs:

Length: 73 studs (58cm); width: 30 studs (24cm); height: 18 studs (14,5 cm)

Openable doors, bonnet, removable engine cover

Parts count: 3.000+ pcs.; Technic panels count: 136 pcs.

Wheels are from #42056 set and painted in silver color.

manual chassis:

RWD

front/rear independent suspension

working fake mini V8

steering + HOG control + working steering wheel + airbrake

adjustable suspension ride

retractable rear spoiler

airbrake activator

butterfly doors operated by handles under the front bonnet

7 separate detachable modules

luggage compartment with case

remote control chassis:

RWD

front/rear independent suspension

working fake mini V8

3 motorization options (full version shown) - 2x L; 2x XL; 2x L+2x XL motors

steering + working steering wheel + airbrake  - servo motor

adjustable suspension ride - 1x L motor

retractable rear spoiler - 2x M motor

airbrake activator

butterfly doors - 1x L motor

screen wiper used as door selector

7 separate detachable modules

LED lights  - front lights + driver´s display

controlled by 2 x SBricks

powered by 2 x LiPo batteries or 2x BuWizz

800x565.jpg

800x565.jpg

800x565.jpg

Can´t believe I´m saying this, but I prefer the manual version above the RC version, although the latter is more sophisticated in design. It´s playability is great, although your fingers will experience some pain after operating all the handles - I would say it´s not really supposed to be a toy for little children :classic:.

800x344.jpg
800x348.jpg

800x405.jpg

800x383.jpg

As I promised once - my models will always come with instructions. Thorsten Spelz helped me out again and created magnificent high quality PDF files, many thanks to him! Apologies beforehand – they can´t be offered for free due to the huge amount of recources put into them.

Also I wanted to mention the biggest Technic supercar collector I´m aware of – our dear EB fellow Georg aka polofreak. He accompanied the design process and pushed me to improve some sections of the model and tested the manual instructions. His exclusive version has no blue pins, avoided colored axles and gears whereever possible and it looks even better than mine ;-).

Instructions and partslist of the manual version are available.

Instructions and partslist of the RC version can be found here.

800x339.jpg

More pictures can be found here.

Constructive critics, feedback and questions are highly apreciated!

Enjoy and have a great day!

Edited by brunojj1

It's absolutely stunning indeed! To say you captured the lines would be an understatement. And, thank you for making a manual version. :thumbup:

Edited by therealjustin

What to say ?????

Maybe this: I really hope for TLG they didn't planed to introduce this model in the Porsche and Buggati lineup.

I really don't see how in hell a model could be better.

Great choice you've done by simplify the transmission in benefit of design and connex functionalities.

PS: this model had rather be in the Scale Modeling section, no?

Masterpiece, as usual from you. Makes me wish really hard this was TLG's official successor to the Chiron.

3 minutes ago, Corrado said:

More than amazing creation. Great work! What are this wheels, they are modified Porsche wheels? 

It doesn't hurt to read the first post. "Wheels are from #42056 set and painted in silver color."

I know it's a bit of a bold statement, but I would say this is the best LEGO Technic supercar ever made. It's just perfect. 

Amazing! This is absolutely incredible sacral supercar! Looks suberb!

But it also created a dilemma:

what to build first - this beauty or the 42082 which is delivering today???

This is stunning to the point that it looks like a amazingly done model car, filled in, carefully detailed, and made with the availability to get one yourself. Amazing job!

Other than the rear quarter panels being a tiny bit too high, it’s a really nice model :wub: It’s so rare that a MOC supercar closely matches up with its real life counterpart.

Amazing work.  Love the options, functions and bodywork.  

Congratulations on such a fine piece of work. 

The black version looks great too!

Wow, I'm still hven't stopped drulling over the side view. Silver wheel really add a lot to the whole model. Black with red details is also fantastic but more details can be seen on the orange one so I like it more. 

Bravo, instant hall-of-famer!

Photos make everybody build it!

Square lego bag (case), LOL

Edited by Aleh

It’s just so... PERFECT!! Super amazing and one of the best of not the best technic super cars I have ever seen! It is very clever to have the windshield wiper select which door opens.

Great model with lots of great details! I wonder how suspension is keeping up the weight? I hope it is not affected by the same issue Porsche has.

A stunning representation with gorgeous curves and flows extremely well.  I :wub: it.

Its rare for people to use a mixture of XL and L motors for drive.  Did you use different motors any reason other than size for fit?  What are some of the differences between the three options?

Wow! My compliments, what an amazing build. Thank you very much for the instructions and the manual version. I will be building this definitively!

OMG!!!

After seeing your avatar picture I was really curious what your version of the P1 would look like, but this has surpassed my wildest imagination. What a beautiful car! Incredible.
The only points of critique I can think of:
- those manual functions are really too slow (but I love the way those doors open and the location of the operating gears)
- No gearbox in the manual version (but I do love how close the seats are together and how low the center console is, so I guess that is the compromise you made)
- the orange tiles in the door maybe?

The things I love:
- The modular chassis
- The lines
- Those doors:wub:
How is the longitudal stiffness? It looks like you had very little height nor width to work with between the seats. Do the vertical 3x11 panels at the side help a lot?