ZlatanXVIGustaf

Varlyrian Olive Farm

Just outside of Ostia, the farmers are preparing the harvest by laying down cloth on the grond to then shake the tree and collect the olives on the cloth.

44038925402_3e49462090_b.jpg

43369081404_505a3aec0d_b.jpg

Please let me know what you think of it! I think I should have added another tree behind the shack but other than that i like the outcome.

Edited by ZlatanXVIGustaf

What a nice build... and a very accurate representation of the olive tree! The wall does it for me... 

these Varlyrian builds are going to be awesome

This looks great, ZG, especially the bright colors of the terrain and the door. It is unusual (but splendid) to see such bright colors used in a realistic (i.e. not magical or fantastic) setting, but it works very well here. Another olive tree or two might have helped, but I think it looks pretty good as it is. Great to see some more of Varlyrio!

I'm going to have to bring out my lime green again, it looks so good here!  Great little build, love the stone wall, chickens, and clumps of vegetation! :thumbup:

Great little build, ZG, I'll definitely agree with the others about those ground colors - excellent combination there! :thumbup: The shack and tree are quite nice as well, and the rounded stone wall is pretty sweet too! :wink:

Oh yes, this is great ZG! The lime and yellowish green contrast so well with the path, and that blue door adds just the right amount of color pop. :) The stone wall is definitely a nice detail as well. :) Keep it up!

I dig the colors here too, but the tree is a standout. I also think the shack has somewhat worn looking walls but that color differentiation (white paint chipping off the gray stone maybe?) might have helped that. The roof and door being so "new" looking also doesn't gel with the idea I want to have that the shack is a little weathered.

Nice one ZG!

A second tree wouldn't hurt, as you have already mentioned yourself, to give the build a bit more depth and to better transfer the image of a real orchard.

Aside from that, a very bright colourscheme on top of some sweet vegetation and a very cute (that's the only adjective I can come up with, I fear) wall make for a great MOC! :thumbup: I'm already looking forward to your next Varlyrian build!

I really enjoy a build that manages to make lime green a realistic landscaping colour - they are rare but this is certainly among them! Love the gnarled look of the olive tree as well. Great job!

Solid build.  The tree is a great representation of the real thing and the low rock wall is perfect!

The bright colors look great for Varlyrio!  The olive tree looks good, too.  I used to live near an olive orchard, and they planted a ton of olive trees in rows, so some of the suggestions that there should be more trees may be valid.  The bright blue door is awesome and works well.  I love the low sloped roof.  How did you get that to look so even?  Are the tiles attached to a plate underneath on a hinge, or are they just sitting there?

Nice build with a great amount of details in the small space, the setting and building fits very well in Varlyrio :classic:

I particularly like the olive tree.

I really like this small, colorful build.  A really nice serene scene of Varlyrian life outside the politics of the big cities.

Nice work!

Nice little build.  I like the base with the clumps of the vegetation.  The olive tree is neat.  The shack is done well also.

Love the colours you have picked here! Stands out in a positive way!! Great work!!!

Always a pleasure seeing lime green used well in a landscape :wub: I also like your color choice for the dirt path :thumbup: Dark tan and medium dark flesh is a combo John and I also used recently for our Harvest Realm build.
The design for the wall is a great way of conveying old field stone walls, and the small house has a nice amount of visual interest.

On 8/17/2018 at 1:42 PM, narbilu said:

What a nice build... and a very accurate representation of the olive tree! The wall does it for me... 

these Varlyrian builds are going to be awesome

Thanks! I did look at some photos of olive trees because they have quite a distinct look to them.

On 8/17/2018 at 3:38 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

This looks great, ZG, especially the bright colors of the terrain and the door. It is unusual (but splendid) to see such bright colors used in a realistic (i.e. not magical or fantastic) setting, but it works very well here. Another olive tree or two might have helped, but I think it looks pretty good as it is. Great to see some more of Varlyrio!

Thank you!

On 8/17/2018 at 3:57 PM, Kai NRG said:

I'm going to have to bring out my lime green again, it looks so good here!  Great little build, love the stone wall, chickens, and clumps of vegetation! :thumbup:

Thanks! I definitely think you should, it’s a fun colour to work with but it’s also quite restricting in that it doesn’t really work with a lot of colours. Normal green clashed quite a bit, hence why I only used bright green vegetation.

On 8/17/2018 at 3:58 PM, Garmadon said:

Great little build, ZG, I'll definitely agree with the others about those ground colors - excellent combination there! :thumbup: The shack and tree are quite nice as well, and the rounded stone wall is pretty sweet too! :wink:

Thanks Garmadon!

On 8/17/2018 at 4:19 PM, TheLordOfBricks said:

Oh yes, this is great ZG! The lime and yellowish green contrast so well with the path, and that blue door adds just the right amount of color pop. :) The stone wall is definitely a nice detail as well. :) Keep it up!

Thanks! I agree with you on the door, I tried dark blue but it wasn’t bright enough.

On 8/17/2018 at 9:43 PM, mccoyed said:

I dig the colors here too, but the tree is a standout. I also think the shack has somewhat worn looking walls but that color differentiation (white paint chipping off the gray stone maybe?) might have helped that. The roof and door being so "new" looking also doesn't gel with the idea I want to have that the shack is a little weathered.

Thank you! There wasn’t much thought behind the shack to be honest:grin: I saw a use for my recently acquired white 1x1 round tiles and that’s pretty much it. I agree with you though, LGB tiles would probably be better. 

On 8/17/2018 at 10:51 PM, TitusV said:

Nice one ZG!

A second tree wouldn't hurt, as you have already mentioned yourself, to give the build a bit more depth and to better transfer the image of a real orchard.

Aside from that, a very bright colourscheme on top of some sweet vegetation and a very cute (that's the only adjective I can come up with, I fear) wall make for a great MOC! :thumbup: I'm already looking forward to your next Varlyrian build!

Thanks Titus! You’re going to have to wait quite a while sadly because my next build is going to be for Challenge I.

On 8/18/2018 at 1:23 AM, Ayrlego said:

I really enjoy a build that manages to make lime green a realistic landscaping colour - they are rare but this is certainly among them! Love the gnarled look of the olive tree as well. Great job!

Thank you and welcome to GoH!

On 8/18/2018 at 2:00 AM, mrcp6d said:

Solid build.  The tree is a great representation of the real thing and the low rock wall is perfect!

Thanks! I looked at pictures of olive trees to capture the look as good as possible.

On 8/18/2018 at 5:47 AM, Grover said:

The bright colors look great for Varlyrio!  The olive tree looks good, too.  I used to live near an olive orchard, and they planted a ton of olive trees in rows, so some of the suggestions that there should be more trees may be valid.  The bright blue door is awesome and works well.  I love the low sloped roof.  How did you get that to look so even?  Are the tiles attached to a plate underneath on a hinge, or are they just sitting there?

Thanks Grover! I used these to connect the tiles and then just carefully placed them there. It's a very useful technique for covering up small gaps. I used it on the rounded corner in my previous moc too. 

On 8/18/2018 at 11:20 AM, Zilmrud said:

A beautiful little MOC. As the others said, nice colours.      

Thank you!

On 8/19/2018 at 10:58 PM, Gideon said:

Nice build with a great amount of details in the small space, the setting and building fits very well in Varlyrio :classic:

I particularly like the olive tree.

Thanks Gideon!

On 8/19/2018 at 11:48 PM, x105Black said:

I really like this small, colorful build.  A really nice serene scene of Varlyrian life outside the politics of the big cities.

Nice work!

Thank you! 

I'm looking forward to seeing some varlyrian builds from you!

On 8/20/2018 at 2:55 AM, zoth33 said:

Nice little build.  I li!ke the base with the clumps of the vegetation.  The olive tree is neat.  The shack is done well also.

Thank you very much!

On 8/20/2018 at 9:06 PM, de Gothia said:

Love the colours you have picked here! Stands out in a positive way!! Great work!!!

Thanks!

On 8/22/2018 at 1:54 AM, soccerkid6 said:

Always a pleasure seeing lime green used well in a landscape :wub: I also like your color choice for the dirt path :thumbup: Dark tan and medium dark flesh is a combo John and I also used recently for our Harvest Realm build.
The design for the wall is a great way of conveying old field stone walls, and the small house has a nice amount of visual interest.

Thanks Isaac! Dark tan and MDF is indeed quite a nice combo, I might try it out on a house.