Rogue Angel

Book III - Challenge I: A Time to Rebuild

The Guilds of Historica Book III

Preludes

Prelude: An Avalonian Council

Prelude: Tradesmeet - Varlyrian Port

United We Stand…

The return of Ylspeth hailed an immediate shift in the landscape of the guilds of Historica.  United by the return of the “King”, the Drow and Algus were pushed from the Guildlands and even the unrest in Kaliphlin calmed. 

Days in the Darklands were still tough.  While the Spire’s banners no longer hung in nearly every hall, the shame and scars of war hung heaviest on the East.  Though Avalonia, Mitgardia and many of the free cities pledged allegiance to her majesty, the Darklands had its own cross to bear.  The defeat of Raavage left a void in the East, and while many proud Lords desired to pledge their loyalty to Ylspeth, the lack of a new guild leader left many Lords feeling too squeamish or too proud to pledge their loyalty to the Queen.  Frightened that a new dark power may again rise in the East, but aware that a heavy hand may cause the same, Ylspeth placed her most trusted allies strategically in the Darklands.  For now, the Darklands would remain closed to her light and influence, they would need to come to grips with the Civil War on their own time- but would always remain under her watchful eye.

While the void left by Raavage’s actions closed the borders of Nocturnus, the defeat of the Spire created a new opportunity for the Queen to pursue, the liberation of Varlyrio.  While always considered under Cedrica’s rule, the “Fifth Guild” was largely left autonomous due to its location off the main land, and it’s trade monopolies.  With the betrayal Historica felt under the rise of the Varlyrian Lord Basil and the speed with which the Varlyrian houses had acquiesced to the devastating effect the Black Spire’s bribery. Queen Yspleth made it a priority to break the Varlyrian monopoly by threat of total isolation and embargo.  Unlike the Darklands, the people of Varlyrio celebrated her return and the banner ships of a united Historica were a welcome sight from the oppressed island nation, forced to conscript their children into Basil’s army and their wealth for his war machine.  The Varlyrian families would not hazard their trade empires, and conceded to open trade and borders.

With order restored to the lands, Ylspeth toured her kingdom to once again gaze upon it’s many wonders and beauty.  The scars of war however, ran deep.  The green grasslands of Avalonia were burned and scoured, the white snow of Mitgardia covered in blood and the free cities of the South had all but fallen into complete chaos with the lack of trade and trust the civil war had caused.  Cities lie in ruin while entire regions starved from the destruction of the last harvest.  As devastated as the land had become, the people suffered more.  Loved ones were lost, disease had taken root and many children were without parents. 

With sadness in her heart, Queen Ylspeth remembered an axiom from Lord Chorian, whom she recently saw in the Mitgardian Mountains.  Lord Chorian said he had come across an ancient text which contained many parables and sayings, one of which had become a favorite expression, “There’s a time for everything- a time to tear down and a time to build”.   (Note: real world religion is generally a topic we tend to avoid in our story’s and MOCs in Historica, but this Biblical reference is too on point to ignore, especially with the call back to the great Historica master, Ecclesiastes!)

A smile crossed Ylspeth’s lips.  “NOW!” she thought, “Now is the time for building.”

Challenge I - A Time to Rebuild

War has ravaged the great land of Historica leaving both buildings- and its people- broken.  Ylspeth has revealed now is the time to rebuild.  For this challenge, there are no fancy categories (though that will likely return in future challenges) and only one concept to center on.  Rebuilding.  Your task is to create a MOC that shows Historica being rebuilt.  The MOC must depict something being rebuilt, whether it be in progress, recently completed (and evidence of recent completion being important), or in a more abstract manner if you should so choose.  Points will be dished out for build, presentation, photography with special elevators for entries with original concepts or stories.  As with Book I, a winner will be selected from EACH of the four playable guilds- Avalonia, Kaliphlin, Mitgardia and Varlyrio (yes, really).

One entry per person

64x64 maximum size restriction

- 32x128 or some variation between is allowed, as long as the build has a minimum width of 32 studs

- Borders can exceed the maximum size restriction, within reason.

Entries due the end of the day on October 15th.

No clone brands (Megablocks, KREO, etc) allowed, but 3rd party fig parts and accessories (Brickarms, Citizen Brick, etc.) are acceptable.

All entries should be posted in their own topic, with the title of:

"CHALLENGE I: Name of your build"

Please also post a link to your topic here.

Great start to have such an open challenge, can't wait to see all the new places which will be built here!

Is it still so that challenge builds are not counted towards HSS categories? Imho it would otherwise be a great way to kickstart some new settlements or boost old cities :wink: 

3 hours ago, Rogue Angel said:

This challenge can be counted toward HSS

Thanks! Good opportunity to kickstart HSS again :classic:

1 hour ago, Rogue Angel said:

Borders can extend beyond the 64x64 (within reason)

Another question: is it a hard 64 stud limit (within the border) in either direction or is it like in some other challenges ok with a longer side as long as it keeps within 64x64 = 4096 studs...?

Anything between 64x64 and 32x128 is acceptable (minimum 32 stud width).

4 minutes ago, narbilu said:

What is HSS again?

Historican Settlements, the fourth Avalonian task, I think. More info in this topic!

Time to start building, it seems! :excited: 

Just getting into GoH so this will be my first attempt at building for it, as well as (probably) participating in a challenge. Is it one single MOC/photo that will be judged or is it possible to build a scene where one can follow the rebuilding-process of a part of a town, etc? Thus making 2-3 MOCs that shows the different stages of completion and then perhaps the finished thing (of course not as WIP-pics but rather as a few finished MOCs where things are changing to show the ”real” build progress). If that makes any sense :laugh:  

For the purpose of this Challenge, it can only be a single build (static). People have included links to prelude or lead-up builds in the past which is fine, but only a single build can be submitted for judging and scoring.

I assume that it is one build but can be several photos of it from different angles?

1 hour ago, MiloNelsiano said:

Is reasonable overhang also acceptable?

Being this has a 64x64 limit, their really shouldn't be a need for overhang....? (I don't know that we've allowed this before for bigger builds. 16x16 makes more sense, unless I'm missing something)

8 hours ago, Rogue Angel said:

Being this has a 64x64 limit, their really shouldn't be a need for overhang....? (I don't know that we've allowed this before for bigger builds. 16x16 makes more sense, unless I'm missing something)

I feel like it’s pretty standard, but haven’t usually had time to build he larger entries, so as you say, it may not have standard on such a large limit. I’m mainly asking because I’ve built a crane, that does fit within the limit, but it also rotates, and when rotated and placed in a nice position for taking pictures, a corner sticks out over the edge. I also have a tower sitting on the edge where a crennelation sticks out one stud, but that can be much more easily adapted. 

Edit: I just looked at some of the book 2 challenges, and 32x32 limits seemed to always allow reasonable overhang. I couldn’t find any challenges with a 64x64 limit. 

Edited by MiloNelsiano

Yes, reasonable overhang is fine if you have a tree or a roof or a crane, etc. that extends a few studs past.

4 hours ago, Rogue Angel said:

Yes, reasonable overhang is fine if you have a tree or a roof or a crane, etc. that extends a few studs past.

That's what I would define as "reasonable overhang" anyways :wink: 

On 8/15/2018 at 11:09 PM, Rogue Angel said:

64x64 maximum size restriction

- 32x128 or some variation between is allowed, as long as the build has a minimum width of 32 studs

Does this mean that the minimum size of an entry would be 32x32, or did this just refer to builds which are using all (or almost all) the allowed stud count (meaning that you can't build an entry with a 4x1024 base)?

In short, would a 20x32 or 16x24 or something of that kind be alright?  Just asking for a friend, if course, :laugh: :tongue:

2 hours ago, Garmadon said:

Does this mean that the minimum size of an entry would be 32x32, or did this just refer to builds which are using all

Pretty sure that with no other categories competing for the bricks and time of the builders here that all builders at least can bring together a 32x32 build? :wink: