Set Rating  

113 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Outstanding
    • Above Average
    • Average
    • Below Average
    • Poor

Very surprised anybody could vote this set as poor or below average other than as a protest vote because they didn’t get what they wanted.  

Brilliant review though, really captures how amazing this set is. Very well done.  

2 hours ago, seellee said:

Very surprised anybody could vote this set as poor or below average other than as a protest vote because they didn’t get what they wanted.  

Brilliant review though, really captures how amazing this set is. Very well done.  

Or because they think it is below average.

22 hours ago, LegoFjotten said:

Those (mostly) small pieces are nowhere near enough to make a closed back.

If it is closed, then not only don't you need the interior detail parts but often you can remove interior walls and floors unless needed for support.

16 minutes ago, MAB said:

Or because they think it is below average.

If it is closed, then not only don't you need the interior detail parts but often you can remove interior walls and floors unless needed for support.

Nah I don’t believe that to be honest.  It’s a protest vote.  

How anybody can think the set is poor is beyond me. 

As for having a closed back I don’t see the point unless you are placing it right in the middle of a room and really hate having things with interiors.  

Having a really accurate fantastically priced model and some interiors is great and I applaud lego and the designer for doing so.

i really hope we see more licensed microscale models to be honest   

48 minutes ago, seellee said:

Nah I don’t believe that to be honest.  It’s a protest vote.  

How anybody can think the set is poor is beyond me. 

As for having a closed back I don’t see the point unless you are placing it right in the middle of a room and really hate having things with interiors.  

Having a really accurate fantastically priced model and some interiors is great and I applaud lego and the designer for doing so.i

There is the problem then, you cannot see other people's views. Microscale is a great way of doing a large building for people that like displaying architecture rather than play sets. For that to work, you really need the whole building / location to be accurate so you can view it from all sides. This set has tried to be both a play set at the same time as taking in some aspects of being a microscale / architectural type set. For some people that will work, for others it won't. Some people may see it as both a play and display set. For others it fails to be a play set and fails to be a display set.

1 hour ago, MAB said:

There is the problem then, you cannot see other people's views. Microscale is a great way of doing a large building for people that like displaying architecture rather than play sets. For that to work, you really need the whole building / location to be accurate so you can view it from all sides. This set has tried to be both a play set at the same time as taking in some aspects of being a microscale / architectural type set. For some people that will work, for others it won't. Some people may see it as both a play and display set. For others it fails to be a play set and fails to be a display set.

Do adults still play with playsets then?  Most I see display them the same as they’d display architecture sets and don’t play like say kids would.  

Its a great lego set. Arguably one of the best ever.  I guess myself and people with your opinion won’t see eye to eye on it.  But that’s fine each to their own.  

On 8/21/2018 at 5:23 PM, Roebuck said:

I wonder what would make us most happy:

1. The beautiful microfig-scale display set we got
  2. Something ugly like the new 75222 Betrayal at Cloud City in system scale with plenty of  minifigs (71022 does the job )

?

Edited by Air1

12 hours ago, seellee said:

Do adults still play with playsets then?  Most I see display them the same as they’d display architecture sets and don’t play like say kids would.  

Its a great lego set. Arguably one of the best ever.  I guess myself and people with your opinion won’t see eye to eye on it.  But that’s fine each to their own.  

Yes, adults also play with lego sets in many ways. But then kids play with lego in a huge variety of ways too. Personally, I think it is far from being one of the best ever lego sets.

Just gonna have a little rant here. I don’t mean anything agains anyone but I’ve seen what I think is a lot of unfair criticism against this set and wanna share my view...

See, I’m not a fan of the microfigs and interior. I mean it looks good, but I’m not going to use it, and the microfigs don’t work as well as the Helicarrier because the scale is way off.

but people calling this Set bad because it is micro scale are just ridiculous IMO. It is essentially an architecture set of Hogwarts, and having a model of Hogwarts is what I want, so this is definately better for me. I still love having minifigs around the castle, but the system sets are there for that. However on the whole front of saying this is a good scale model, MAB you say that people who wanted that wouldn’t it and it wouldn’t work because of the interior, while that’s probably true for some. I’m just gonna display it from the front, there’s no other angle I think would work nomatter if it was fully enclosed or not, there’s not even a suggestion of interior. Now, yes if you wanna put it on a table that’s an issue, but if you really don’t like the interior...don’t put it on a table.

having microfigs instead of minifigs is good grounds to be annoyed, that’s fine. You can even be annoyed that it’s not a system scale set or have system scale interiors like the super star destroyer. But even if you hate the micro-scale, it is still designed well and looks like the castle. I’ve seen people claiming it’s not accurate to the real model, but then say the great hall set is? That’s just saltyness because this is the one striving for accuracy.

Again not trying to start an argument or anything, just my view. Mainly because I’m someone who wants just a scale model and the interior doesn’t bother me I thought my view might add something to the conversation.

Just in case this has not been discussed or solved earlier. Jangbricks in his review pointed out possible design flaw in the viaduct connection, suggesting illegal connections. Now he released a new video expanding on that issue. I don't own the set but according to what I see on pictures and in Jang's video it occurs to me that it is just a result of a mistake in hinge plate placement, that can be easily solved by simple mod. I suggest you to watch Jang's videos, otherwise this contraption may look out of place to you :blush:

43309746515_06056e48e8_c.jpg

Hogwarts castle viaduct solution by Krištof Pučejdl, on Flickr

I do not own the set as I can't afford it by huge margin, so I can not guarantee that you can actually modify it easily. Maybe there will be some other pieces along the height of the viaduct that get in a way and maybe (just guessing) that was the reason designer decided to go dark side to solve it.

Also there are other ways to orient the hinge plates so it would still work. Anyway. the moral of the story is that you can achieve the correct geometry quite simple.

[EDIT] I would love to hear from someone who can try the modification whether it's easy to do. I don't have time to look up the instructions for the set and build the mockup of the whole section. Maybe it requires significant changes to the viaduct edge or the wall where it connects...

Edited by krisandkris12

1 hour ago, Whovastron said:

However on the whole front of saying this is a good scale model, MAB you say that people who wanted that wouldn’t it and it wouldn’t work because of the interior, while that’s probably true for some. I’m just gonna display it from the front, there’s no other angle I think would work nomatter if it was fully enclosed or not, there’s not even a suggestion of interior. Now, yes if you wanna put it on a table that’s an issue, but if you really don’t like the interior...don’t put it on a table.

I'm not going to buy it as I don't really like it for what it costs but if I did I'd only display it to view it from the front as that is the only angle it looks good from. The official one looks good from the front, but that is it.

However, to see what I mean, compare it to this wonderful microscale MOC:

Take a look at the number of photos of it taken at different angles (it is a flickr link, so you can see them by clicking on the photo or the link is here https://www.flickr.com/photos/159890103@N04/sets/72157693182433694). You can "fly" around it and you get an excellent view of the location from where ever you are. That is what the official one lacks, and why I feel that it doesn't perform well as a displayable microscale architecture style set. I think that is a valid criticism of the set.

I'm not really sure of LEGO's thinking on the market for it either. They seem to be aiming it at people that like the architecture but also wanting to appeal to those that want play features, even though those people are catered for with the minifigure scale sets. Maybe there isn't the market for an architecture only set and they hope that including interiors and play features will increase demand. I am sure it will attract some, but it will also put off some. It may seem that it appeals to both camps, but to me it ends up appealing to neither. I actually prefer the minifigure scale Great Hall (which I have ordered) as I think that does a better job of being a combined play / display set, especially if other buildings get released in future.

Edited by MAB

There was 0 tension in the bridge... I think Jang might have made a mistake? I'm not sure but I did not feel any tension in the pieces whatsoever. In the case I'm wrong, that fix up there is fairly easy to do since the bridge is a separate build. 

As for the set I think it's one of Legos best. Aside from the final product there were numerous times where I was just amused with the amount of references and details that were put into it as a I built it. Even friends of mine who weren't Lego fans marveled at it..which has never happened for any other set I've owned. A bigger Hogwarts, to me, is just not feasible for the level of detail I wanted in a set. This set isn't aimed for kids (16+) so it makes sense not to have "playset" features. Even if there are a lot of 1x1 pieces, a licensed set for 400 compared to a SW UCS MF of 800 which only has 1k more pieces is a clear win. 

I agree with sellee, I don't see how this is "Below" average . I don't understand the criteria that was judged to call it below average. I can understand not liking the set and what it provided from a subjective stand point. To say that it doesn't look like what it's representing or delivers on what the set promises is objectively not true. 

Thanks for the review. 

10 minutes ago, SheldonF said:

There was 0 tension in the bridge... I think Jang might have made a mistake? I'm not sure but I did not feel any tension in the pieces whatsoever. In the case I'm wrong, that fix up there is fairly easy to do since the bridge is a separate build. 

Check the VIDEO. I don't think he's wrong. Certainly the build he came up with as a demonstration of the case DOES involve wrong geometry.

Let me know how the mod goes if you decide to do it ;)

@MAB

That is fair criticism, I guess it just come down to difference in tastes. I’m happy to sacrifice the backside of the model and being able to look at any angle as I’m happy with the angle it’s intended to be displayed it.  I also prefer the size of this model, when it was announced as micro, I was worried it would be much smaller like the model you’ve posted. That is a superb model, but I kinda wanted something huge, or atleast as big as the system scale sets, and again I’m happy to sacrifice more of the castle for the size of the section we got. 

The way I’m displaying the model is on a just above eye level shelf, so the facade of the front at that size looks perfect for what I wanted, but I can see where you’re coming from

Edited by Whovastron

The MOC above is a good attempt and well made but it’s nowhere near as nice as the official model and it doesn’t look as detailed.  

As for the great hall set being minifigure scale, it’s not.  It comes with minifigures and that’s about it.  To be true minifigure scale it would need to be far bigger.  It’s a good set for kids but the proportions are all wrong.  

Its good that lego have done the microscale set for those that want a great display and very accurate depiction of the castle, but also done the small playsets for kids and fans of the franchise who want something smaller.  Win win for everybody.  

1 hour ago, krisandkris12 said:

Check the VIDEO. I don't think he's wrong. Certainly the build he came up with as a demonstration of the case DOES involve wrong geometry.

Let me know how the mod goes if you decide to do it ;)

I just saw the video, see the weird thing is that I didn't feel and tension/popping into place whatsoever. I will double check to see if there is any. His geometry doesn't seem wrong though, so it's very possible. As of now I don't see an issue, I'll check it when im home. The mod is VERY easy to do on the castle one really wanted to. 

22 minutes ago, seellee said:

The MOC above is a good attempt and well made but it’s nowhere near as nice as the official model and it doesn’t look as detailed. 

I wasn't comparing the detail, I was comparing a set that can be displayed (and look good) from one side only with one that can be viewed at any angle.

23 minutes ago, seellee said:

As for the great hall set being minifigure scale, it’s not.  It comes with minifigures and that’s about it.  To be true minifigure scale it would need to be far bigger.  It’s a good set for kids but the proportions are all wrong. 

I am using minifigure scale in the common sense of minifigures fit in it and it is designed to be played with using minifigures. Very few lego sets, be they modulars, cars, trains, etc are minifigure scale.

27 minutes ago, seellee said:

Its good that lego have done the microscale set for those that want a great display and very accurate depiction of the castle, but also done the small playsets for kids and fans of the franchise who want something smaller.  Win win for everybody.  

It isn't very accurate if the buildings are missing walls.

21 minutes ago, SheldonF said:

I just saw the video, see the weird thing is that I didn't feel and tension/popping into place whatsoever. I will double check to see if there is any. His geometry doesn't seem wrong though, so it's very possible. As of now I don't see an issue, I'll check it when im home. The mod is VERY easy to do on the castle one really wanted to. 

My explanation would be that it is much easier to gain the required 'bend' in parts on the wider span of the actual build, than how it is when you rig up the technically same layout but with the technic brick braces much closer to the problematic spot. Honestly it surprises me that Jang spotted that by having to wedge the part in there so much. But then again, he has a ton of experience building sets, more than most of us anyway, so things that don't feel absolutely right may be amplified for him :D Myself though I would have hated the feeling that there is a thing like that in my model, should that actually be the case :D

1 hour ago, krisandkris12 said:

My explanation would be that it is much easier to gain the required 'bend' in parts on the wider span of the actual build, than how it is when you rig up the technically same layout but with the technic brick braces much closer to the problematic spot. Honestly it surprises me that Jang spotted that by having to wedge the part in there so much. But then again, he has a ton of experience building sets, more than most of us anyway, so things that don't feel absolutely right may be amplified for him :D Myself though I would have hated the feeling that there is a thing like that in my model, should that actually be the case :D

I agree with experience. I’m quite ocd with building so I probably would have noticed it and it bugged me, but my girlfriend built that half of the set so I was blissfully unaware, and she had a lot less experience building sets (this was her first set over 1000 pieces) and she didn’t notice it, and it looks fine so I’m not gonna fiddle with it.

^ Thats a difficult build especially for less experienced lego fan, kudos to her haha :D I mean, yeah, I am sure there is enough give to create that fraction of a millimeter extra space you need. I am not sure if i'd notice myself!

A request to anyone who has the Hogwards Castle

could you take a picture with a bunch of Harry Potter minifigs (from the sets or series) spread around the castle ?

Please :)

2 hours ago, just_one said:
A request to anyone who has the Hogwards Castle

could you take a picture with a bunch of Harry Potter minifigs (from the sets or series) spread around the castle ?

Please :)

Think there’s pictures on the previous page of this topic!

Man, another castle I'll have to add to my collection... or at least build, then scrap and use for parts in my MOCs haha.

Thank you for the review -  and the photos were great.  I don’t know whether I will buy this set as Hogwarts is not really my main interest but i do like the architectural elements and personally i think having the interiors might help appeal to more potential buyers.

Having water around on one side would certainly have enhanced the look, and presumably provided somewhere for the boats?

Bit late to the party, but have to say that I didn't notice the issue with the bridge that Jang raised while building the set and I'd watched both his videos before the build so I was expecting it, but the parts seemed to fit fine to me.

Only "issue" I did have was an apparently random flower stem piece in the bag that contained the vine pieces, couldn't see it in the instructions and it was the only piece of that type within that specific bag, did I just get a rogue piece or have I missed something? Had all the flower stem pieces I needed to make the trees so it hadn't come from one of the other bags without me noticing. Did anyone else get the piece?