Sign in to follow this  
cdnlegofan

Lego Spending/Budgets

Oh to have endless money and space that's the dream world but the reality is that 99.9% of us don't have that luxury. Space and money are limited. So how do you set a budget? What are your rules? Do you only buy from specific themes? Run a Bricklink store to fund your hobby? Only spend what you have left over at the end of the month? I'm curious how other members are able to use restraint and discipline instead of maxing out a credit card ( something I have not actually done) but Lego addiction can be a slippery slope! 

Funny you should ask at this time. I got the notice about Hogwarts Castle being available for VIP's. The first thing I thought of was how much bricklink stuff I could really use vs buying that set with that amount of money.

LOL thats exactly why I posted this question. It seems now more then ever Lego is releasing bigger and more expensive sets  How can I put my wallet on a diet with all these never ending announcements and temptations?

49 minutes ago, knotian said:

Funny you should ask at this time. I got the notice about Hogwarts Castle being available for VIP's. The first thing I thought of was how much bricklink stuff I could really use vs buying that set with that amount of money.

LOL thats exactly why I posted this question. It seems now more then ever Lego is releasing bigger and more expensive sets  How can I put my wallet on a diet with all these never ending announcements and temptations?

I only buy sets from the Star Wars line as I am not particularly rich. I also see other peoples review and how they rate the set and then deciding to buy it or not, so I basically only get high rated sets. The other thing is I mostly get secondhand sets, as that cuts down the cost a lot and sometimes I can get them really cheap if I have a good look around eBay or gumtree

A few years ago I agreed with my wife of a $300 a month max budget. I often don’t spend that anymore, because storage and time also have limits.

Now I’m enjoying restoring your classic sets and collecting old sets from BrickLink. But I won’t purchase hyperinflated sets like Emerald Knight. 

i plan to purchase unique and “special” sets primarily now, I.e Hogwarts Castle, Apollo Saturn 5 rocket, Ship in a Bottle are examples. And I always collect trains so I will be looking out for 2018 city train sets at deep discounts over the next 3 years. I enjoy technic, but I have a hard time justifying buying another crane. Most of those sets end up in zip lock bags in storage tubs eventually, so I’m trying to save money there. 

Edited by goody82