Sign in to follow this  
merc

[OL - FB] Arrivals from New Oleon

Inspecting the troops in Lavalette

Dear Sir or Madam

I would like to present to you a new company of troops. Raised in his Majesty’sterritory of New Oleon. Financed by the De Moncey family. These troops have been trained in some the the harshest conditions and come from both New Oleans and native Guelphs. Accompanying them is Leuitenant Colonel Bernard and his three lieutenants. They are ready to serve in any capacity as seen fit.

In service of His Majesty

Lord De Moncey

P.S.

Please allow me to extend my deepest apologizes for them not arriving sooner. It seems that the ship may have been blow of course.

————————————————

Here is a little troop built for Lavalette. Below is a picture of each unit pictured. C&C welcome

Olean troops

And here are the officers

43331346124_727df9da45_b.jpg

Edited by merc

Great job army building @merc! Your troops are very regal and well done. Keep up the great work!

That's a company of proud New Oleanders, and natives. I like the visor on the shako.

Great job depicting a whole company of New Oleanders! I like the way you portrayed different cultures, and the faces you chose seem very appropriate!

On 8/15/2018 at 10:24 AM, Ross Fisher said:

A nice selection of different cultures represented there. Can't wait to see them in action.

Thanks. The fact that New Oleon borders some more middle eastern countries, it gave me the ability to portray that area with a bit of diversity while still maintaining a portion of uniformity.

On 8/15/2018 at 10:39 AM, Mesabi said:

Great job army building @merc! Your troops are very regal and well done. Keep up the great work!

Thank you. Oleon is know for being regal right :grin:

23 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Nice to see some variation in troop design. Looking good! :thumbup:

Thank you. The fact that New Oleon borders some more middle eastern countries, it gave me the ability to portray that area with a bit of diversity while still maintaining a portion of uniformity.

18 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Yay! The new New Oleanders have arrived!

Yaaaaay. I managed to take 5 minutes to get pictures. They have been built for almost a week lol. Also is it New Oleans or New Oleanders or?....... It is a bit confusing the demonym. :look:

12 hours ago, Bodi said:

That's a company of proud New Oleanders, and natives. I like the visor on the shako.

Thank you, I think they are a bit happy to be out of a desert climate and into a tropical climate. Unfortunately the visor on the shako was not my idea, i say it on jackdaw2211's post of Napoleon troops and thought it would fit nicely with Oleon's army.

6 hours ago, Keymonus said:

Great job depicting a whole company of New Oleanders! I like the way you portrayed different cultures, and the faces you chose seem very appropriate!

Thank you. I was inspired by @Ayrlego's Sepoys, @Khorne's drawings, and French Moroccan Colonial troops. Also for some reason I picture Oleon's people having nice mustaches. :laugh: 

33 minutes ago, merc said:

New Oleon borders some more middle eastern countries

I really wanna put together some of @Khorne's Foreign Legionnaires, and I reckon this could be a great reason why.

22 hours ago, merc said:

Also is it New Oleans or New Oleanders or?....... It is a bit confusing the demonym. :look:

I would say New Oleon (territory) is inhabited by New Oleanders (people) but native speaking might be using another dialect in which the proper wording would be New Oleans :tongue:

8 minutes ago, blackdeathgr said:

I would say New Oleon (territory) is inhabited by New Oleanders (people) but native speaking might be using another dialect

"Guelves"

On 8/16/2018 at 5:54 PM, merc said:

Thank you. I was inspired by @Ayrlego's Sepoys, @Khorne's drawings, and French Moroccan Colonial troops. Also for some reason I picture Oleon's people having nice mustaches. :laugh: 

Glad to read my drawings served as an inspiration! The Légionnaires can be somewhat tricky to get together I think, since there aren't a lot of Collectible Minifig Revolutionary Soldiers' torsos going around on Ebay. Here's an example of one "in the flesh plastic".

new_oleon_troops.jpg

Like you, I was also inspired by the Middle-Eastern, maybe even Western African vibe of Guelph and I also made some indigenous troops, kind of like Ayrlego's sepoys. These are the Tirailleurs, sharpshooters recruited from desert dwelling tribesmen who excel in light infantry skirmish tactics. I featured them in a build I made last year. The soldier on the right in the picture hasn't been featured in any of my builds yet. On the left is a Dragoon.

The Légionnaires would be excellent for the current BoBS challenge to investigate the interior of Fatu Hiva since they're not "true" Oléanders yet and thus somewhat expendable in the public opinion. Still, they're more dependable than mercs seeing they're part of the regular military and thus under royal control. I haven't had the time nor inspiration to incorporate them in a build yet though :cry_sad: .

Anyway, great figures! I always love seeing some diversity in the ranks whilst still keeping that uniform feel :thumbup: . That's why I also loved Ayrlego's sepoys: they are exotic enough to be different, but still look distinctly Corlander.

Yaaaaay. I managed to take 5 minutes to get pictures. They have been built for almost a week lol. Also is it New Oleans or New Oleanders or?....... It is a bit confusing the demonym. :look:

I think people from New Oléon are 'Guelphians' :look:.

Some great troop combos here Merc, I have always especially liked Korne's Tirailleurs and your interpretation is great. I have considered using them for challenge II but as I am not Olean, I probably won't. What grey torso is the drummer wearing?

20 hours ago, Khorne said:

Anyway, great figures! I always love seeing some diversity in the ranks whilst still keeping that uniform feel :thumbup: .

Thank you. It was thought trying to make them uniform but still distinct. The epaulettes were the hardest to try and coordinate.

16 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Some great troop combos here Merc, I have always especially liked Korne's Tirailleurs and your interpretation is great. I have considered using them for challenge II but as I am not Olean, I probably won't. What grey torso is the drummer wearing?

Thank you. The grey (gray) torso is Loki’s torso. https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=973pb1103c01&idColor=85#T=C&C=85

Edited by merc