Sign in to follow this  
Ayrlego

AoM: House Phase 1: Summer Mountain Hut

Before setting of from his village and family, Yngvi Arnesson accompanies his young son Erik up into the summer pastures high in the mountains. Erik is probably still a little young to be tending the families small herds alone; so Yngvi will stay with him for a while and help him settle in to his work. They are staying at one of the many huts that dot the landscape above the tree line. These huts are used in the summer time by town people from the valleys who migrate up the mountains each summer with their livestock. Made of solid stone with a grass covered roof; the hut, while being basic, is still comfortable. 

44047329491_19ea0e8f71_z.jpg

The rear of the hut contains a large fireplace to keep the occupants warm and prepare food. Even in summer the nights are cold at this attitude.

44047330881_6e9d45fe70_z.jpg

Inside are two beds and a table. It's not much, but most of the time is spend outdoors with the herds anyway.

44047321381_f9a99afd5d_z.jpg

Hi everyone, here is a build to accompany my sign up. Hopefully I've got everything right so far.

The grass roof was really the inspiration behind the build and was the first thing I built, everything thing else just sort of followed. The stonework is a technique I haven't tried before and I was hesitant at first. In the end I think it turned out really well, I like the chunky, rough feel it gives the building. The base... well I wish I had a stack of olive plates, but I don't so I tried bricks... not too sure about the result! Unusual for my builds I also did an interior, which was another nice change. Anyway I really enjoyed this build a lot, hope you do to. Any comments/criticism are very much welcome.

Some additional pictures:

Spoiler

43998916402_5fce032e93_z.jpg

44047326541_e785abe9c1_z.jpg

43998907642_e72af08a1f_z.jpg

Wow, that's a lot of texture! Well, everyone has his own taste I guess? :wink: 

Aside from that, a very nice lodge :thumbup: I really like the roof (though a bit more contrast with the landscaping wouldn't hurt, IMHO), the irregular border and the shield + antlers above the head are an ideal finishing touch!

Edited by TitusV

This is an excellent first build in the guilds, I must say! I have nothing to critique, since I like the bricks for the base, as a refreshing change from the norm, and unlike Titus, I think the roof looks great in comparison to the ground, since they should be the same (why would different grasses and plants grow on the roof than on the ground three feet away?). All of the texture on the wall gives a great feel for a rough stone construction, which is appropriate for a mountain hut. Looks good, and welcome to the guilds!

As I mentioned on Flickr, I really like how classicly Mitgardian this is - in other words, I love the roof style and the antlers. :laugh:  I like the amount of texture myself, the completely smooth wood border of the roof gives enough rest to the eye IMHO.  Great interior too!  But what on earth are you doing going fleshy??!?

Quaint little cottage, very aged!   The stone work on the building itself is something to look at, but that roof really draws you in.  Of course, everything is better with goats!  Great build!

Love this hut! Feels very rustic with the texture! I also like the irregular shape of the base and that it´s done with a thick layer and not plates! :)

Well done!

I like the aesthetic and composition of the build.  I think the textures are appropriate and will be looking to copy some of your style moving forward.

That roof! :wub:  All the texture really works well here, IMHO, and the olive and sand greens are excellent for the Mitgardian mountain-grass feel :thumbup:  The yellow flowers are a bold move, but end up providing just the perfect splash of color too.  Can't wait to see more of your adventures in Mitgardia!

Nice.  I like the overall size and design, colors, etc..  I'm surprised with how well the comparably simple studs-out detailing is and how it adds texture and visual interest while actually being less "busy" to my eye than some other wall techniques.  I don't know how I'd feel about it at larger scales, but it surely works here!  :classic:

Great first build, I have been hoping you would join the guilds, and I cannot wait to see more builds like this.

Great texturing and I love the turf roof. The blocky base is awesome too. Hope to see more builds like this from you soon :thumbup:

This is one of the nicer and more accomplished "high-texture" builds I can remember seeing on GoH! I love that base and I think the photography is clean enough that it's easy to keep up with how much is going on.

Great hut.  The roof is excellent love all the leaf pieces on the top.  The texturing of the hut is great, gives it depth.  The landscaping works well with the roof and ties it all together nicely.  

I like a lot your hut seems well balanced in color and uses of pieces. Your figs posing is top also. Nicely done. :classic:

Awesome build. I especially like the vegetation placement and blending of the greens. The roof frame looks great and the look of the fireplace inside is excellent. My only nitpick is that maybe the fireplace could be raised a plate.  

Thank you all for your encouraging words and warm welcome! Like I said I really enjoyed this build and hope to have more on the way soon!

On 8/16/2018 at 12:05 AM, TitusV said:

I really like the roof (though a bit more contrast with the landscaping wouldn't hurt, IMHO)

Thanks Titus, To some extent I agree about the contrast, I did try to add some regular green stalks to the ground, but it didn't look right. In the end I decided that the greenry on the roof would be the same as that on the ground.

On 8/16/2018 at 2:06 AM, Kai NRG said:

But what on earth are you doing going fleshy??!?

It wasn't an easy choice, but I think they suit my more (attempted) realistic style. I don't have a lot, so it may be necessary to return to yellow at some stage! My BoBS builds will remain yellow!

On 8/16/2018 at 3:13 AM, Stash2Sixx said:

Of course, everything is better with goats! 

Sure is! This is my first MOC with my solitary and very recently acquired goat - he'll be sure to pop up in as many more as I possibly can get him in!

On 8/16/2018 at 6:22 AM, deraven said:

I don't know how I'd feel about it at larger scales

Yeah I think you are right here, I don't think it would work at larger scales plus it was quite time consuming to do even on such as small scale.

48 minutes ago, CaptainAaron said:

My only nitpick is that maybe the fireplace could be raised a plate.  

Wow, now you mention it that is an excellent suggestion and would make a lot of sense having the fireplace base raised above the floor level. I can't believe I didn't come up with that! Thanks!

Olive green and sand green go so well together :wub: The whole roof looks perfectly Mitgardian, and I think the rough stone texture is a very fitting choice for a mountain hut :thumbup:
Fun to see you fitting a little interior inside as well! And that flower design with lever bases and friends flowers is one I will have to borrow in the future.

I'm anticipating plenty more epic Mitgardian builds to come from you :excited:

This is simply a perfect Mitgardian house in the summertime.  Glad to have you in the Guilds and especially here in the North!

Great house!  There's a ton to like here: the olive colors, the foliage on the ground, the textured roof, and the awesome antlers above the door.  The interior is great as well and a good use of the minecraft printed part!  I also kind of like the olive bricks as an irregular base.  I know it's not the smooth lines that everyone normally likes, but I think it works here.  The texture of the stones is a little busy for my personal taste, but I bet most of the folks around here love it, and it's not as busy as some of the builds I've seen.  Fantastic job, and keep up the good work!

Very interesting build. Nothing to add as everything has already been commented upon by much more experienced members.

Has certainly inspired me as I am also considering building a Mitgardian Hut soon-ish.

Welcome to Mitgardia Ayrlego, what an awesome build there. Lovely wall texture :wub: