JoeyB

Cartoons you liked nobody else remembers.

Hi there, how's it going? Cartoons are fun, and some get widespread recognition and praise. You've got your Spongebob Squarepants, Kim Possible, Phinieas and Ferb, Teen Titans, Adventure Time, Powerpuff Girls, etc... but have guys ever watched and liked any shows as a kid that no one else talks about anymore? 

Myself, I just started re-watching My Life as a Teenage Robot on Hulu, and I was having a good ol' time. Fun style, I love the Metropolis-styled world inspired by early pulp science fiction. There was also a show I enjoyed called The Secret Saturdays I loved as a kid. What about you guys? Thanks, and have a good one!

The original Rocky & Bullwinkle comes to mind.  And Tailspin.  Not exactly unknown, but definitely don't hear them come up spontaneously the way some other shows do.

The reason the cartoons aren't talked about that I liked, is probably because the ones that are talked about these days were huge, had toy lines associated and/or have been made into big movies etc. So Transformers, Voltron etc are all talked about but not the French, British or some of the American stuff. Yes people remember them when you mention or describe them, but people don't bring it up because Marvel & DC comics, SW and the aforementioned shows etc are so huge the nerds don't really need anything more to talk about.

Like Danger Mouse, Mysterious Cities of Gold, Duck Tales for tiny example

1 hour ago, DwalinF said:

Real Monsters, Hey, Arnold!

:thumbup:

1 hour ago, DwalinF said:

Real Monsters, Hey, Arnold!

Nobody else remembers those, you say? That cannot be. Perhaps the former is remembered by fewer people, but "Hey Arnold!" is a renowned cartoon from the 90s that people still talk about today. They even released a movie last year.

6 hours ago, JarJarBonks said:

Anyone watched futurama?

Good news, everyone! I think I've seen every episode more than 5 times over.

O man, cartoons are my favourite thing on TV.

The Hurricanes, Superted, Danger Mouse, Poddington Peas, Family Ness, The Legend of Prince Valiant, Willy Fog and Toxic Crusaders were 'toons I loved when small (and Tailspin of course).

Fillmore!, MIB, Dragon Booster, Acceleracers, Zoids, Medabots, Flint the Time Detective and Monster Rancher are the anime and cartoons that populated my early to late teens and some I can still return to now and enjoy them.

Storm Hawks, Spider Riders and Galactic Football (ok it got a bit rubbish later on) are series I liked later on.

These days I am re-watching the old classics and following the popular Voltron and Adventure Time while my sister nags me to watch Star Vs The Forces of Evil and I keep meaning to watch the new Digimon. 

I always liked Mighty Mouse.  Seemed like no one else did when I was younger.  

Whatever Happened to... Robot Jones? and Sheep in the Big City come to my mind. I loved those

Rollbots was always one that I though was cool.

Nobody in my circles ever talks about Sonic X or Kirby Right Back At Ya! either, which is a sincere shame.

Anyone remember The Littles? I always thought it had a charming Rescue Rangers/Gummibears vibe to it.

And I think Buzz Lightyear of Star Command was a very underrated show. It was everything you'd expect from a Buzz Lightyear show and more!

It wasn't really a cartoon, but nobody ever talks about Captain Power, either.  Probably would have been much better, and more well remembered, had it been a cartoon.  Tank was my dude.

But what about Darkwing Duck, SilverHawks, Rocko's Modern Life, or M.A.S.K.?

Baggy Pants and the Nitwits.

There are some cool HB series that never really made it - Devlin, The Roman Holidays, Funky Phantom, Herculoids, Magilla Gorilla, ... they pumped them out in the late 1960s / early 70s.

On 8/21/2018 at 12:27 AM, Oky said:

Anyone remember The Littles? I always thought it had a charming Rescue Rangers/Gummibears vibe to it.

And I think Buzz Lightyear of Star Command was a very underrated show. It was everything you'd expect from a Buzz Lightyear show and more!

Oh man, I loved The Littles! Such a great show...at least I remember it being one. :tongue:

Man, there are so many cartoons that I loved as a kid...a few that come to mind that weren’t mentioned, Biker Mice From Mars, Samurai Pizza Cats, & Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go! Now if you’ll excuse me...I’m off to see what, if any, of the cartoons listed here are on Netflix.

CyberSix comes to mind. What a strange show with an even stranger source material? Who looked at the CyberSix comics and thought "You know where this belongs? The saturday morning cartoon block!"

1993's Sonic the Hedgehog is pretty good. It's not to be confused with the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, although I don't blame you if you do: Jaleel White voices Sonic in both shows. It's got a pretty standout cast of who's who voice actors from the nineties and onward, and it also has my favourite interpretation of the Doctor Robotnik character. Jim Cummings kills it every time Robotnik is on screen, and he still manages to freak me out a little.

Danny Phantom's also great. At least, it's first two seasons are great. The third season can be thoroughly skipped, because it sucks. It's like if Spider-man met The Real Ghostbusters and they had a child: that's the best way to describe Danny Phantom.

You reminded me of a good one.  Bionic Six!  That was a great cartoon, and nobody ever remembers it!

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:01 AM, x105Black said:

SilverHawks

I have some commercially released VHS episodes. Not for sale!

"Top Cat" might work for your question. But their is an obscure one I only seen one or two episodes of "Wonder Wheels". This one was only like a ten minutes long (from Hanna Barbera). 

For some anime shows on this question. The first one is "Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs". This show had a western in space vibe to it. The major points this show have are, the main spaceship the good guys have could change into a big robot. And the bad guys called Vapor Beings came from another dimension. 

The second anime is "Ronin Warriors". It is basically a Demon Lord is trying to conquer the human realm. But five humans with magical armors and weapons stand in his way. 

P.S. It has been a while since I have seen the two anime. I haven't seen them since they first aired in the 1980's (or a little later). But I do have some fond (if not vague) memories of these two shows.

As for "Top Cat" and "Wonder Wheels", those I seen more recently (over five years ago if you want to call that recent). But it was on the Boomerang network that I have seen these two shows for the first time. So those two are not from my childhood. Another note on "Top Cat" I remember seeing a movie about it on DVD a few years ago. 

On 8/21/2018 at 3:27 AM, Oky said:

I remember The Littles. And their was some live action movie called "The Borrowers" that seems to be like the The Littles for some reason. (Not that I seen The Brorrowers.)  

On 8/21/2018 at 4:01 AM, x105Black said:

But what about Darkwing Duck, SilverHawks, Rocko's Modern Life, or M.A.S.K.?

When there's trouble you call DW! I got Darkwing Duck on DVDs a year (or two) ago. To bad the whole series is not out on DVD. :cry_sad: 

For some other cartoons not mention yet Dungeon & Dragons, Bucky O'Hare and C.O.P.S. 

P.S. Sorry, for the double Post thought it would automatically merge. 

Edited by samurai-turtle
Add comment

13 hours ago, gedren_y said:

I have some commercially released VHS episodes. Not for sale!

Nice!

5 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

"Ronin Warriors". It is basically a Demon Lord is trying to conquer the human realm. But five humans with magical armors and weapons stand in his way. 

I vaguely remember Ronin Warriors being something a buddy of mine was into in the mid 90s.

4 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

When there's trouble you call DW! I got Darkwing Duck on DVDs a year (or two) ago. To bad the whole series is not out on DVD. :cry_sad: 

For some other cartoons not mention yet Dungeon & Dragons, Bucky O'Hare and C.O.P.S. 

Yes!

I haven't seen all of Dungeons & Dragons yet, but I'm planning on it.  I did kind of like Bucky O'Hare, but I was a bit older at the time so I never really got into it.

One cartoon I remember yet hardly anyone else around me does is Fix and Foxi. It was originally a German series of comic books but the animated cartoon series managed to make it's way to British TV via CBBC around 2000.

16 hours ago, x105Black said:

I vaguely remember Ronin Warriors being something a buddy of mine was into in the mid 90s.

I haven't seen all of Dungeons & Dragons yet, but I'm planning on it.  I did kind of like Bucky O'Hare, but I was a bit older at the time so I never really got into it.

I think Ronin Warriors was more of a mini series. So it was not on the air very long. As for D&D that only lasted one season too. Bucky O'Hare was short also, I don't remember if it lasted one or two seasons. 

Now more cartoons that haven't been mentioned yet. Eek the Cat (not to be confused with Felix the Cat). I remember it getting paired up with a dinosaur show. The basic premise was the a Commando group of dinosaurs are trying to get rid of the human pests. More shows like Rusty and the Big Guy & The Tick, I would say they have a certain style like M.I.B. and other cartoon based on a live action movie like Evolution. And I would even throw in Godzilla: the series (based on the Matthew Broderick movie). Not to mention Lazer Tag, talk about a show existing to sell a product. Well that is all I can think for now, I wonder if I will think of more...

On 9/5/2018 at 8:17 PM, samurai-turtle said:

I remember The Littles. And their was some live action movie called "The Borrowers" that seems to be like the The Littles for some reason. (Not that I seen The Brorrowers.)

I've never seen the movie adaptation of The Borrowers, but I do remember seeing trailers for the Studio Ghibli film "Arietty" which was also based on The Borrowers and reminded me a lot of The Littles.