Sign in to follow this  
Bodi

[OL-FB-Warship] 74-gun Ship le Fougueux

It‘’s been a while since the last large warship left the Eltina Shipyards, one may wonder what was going on there, is the joke on the Eltinian laziness isn't only a joke? For those with a clear mind, they knew something big was under construction behind the walls, the reverberation of heavy machinery lasted all day long for several months, but last night, the busy shipyards became quiet all of a sudden. 

OOC: I started building this ship with Duc de Bourgogne and Algesiras for inspiration, and several other french ships of the line that I've found on the link given by Captain Genaro, which includes a tons of plans and infos on the ships of Age of sail. Rather than a historically accurate replica, she can be considered as a hybrid between the aforementioned ships, and she has certain errors too, the most significant one is the mizzen mast, which should be placed more towards the stern, I realized it at a fairly late phase of construction, amending it would require too much time, since the masts are fixed on the "keel" and there are a lot of plates and hinges between the decks, so I had to leave it as it is.:pir-grin:

The first 74-gun warship built by Eltina shiyards has lifted anchor:

a0Dv9I.jpg

Front view of Le Fougueux

a0DojK.jpg

Stern

a0DX4A.jpg

- Where should we set our course, Commodore?

- Terra Versa, if you see no inconvenient. We'll meet with the rest of the fleet there.

a0DbHe.jpg

a0r9u8.jpg

Some statistics of the ship:

Overall length: 110 cm

Height: 80cm

Hull width: 26 studs

I intend to license her as a class 9 ship.

Thanks for viewing.

Edit: I just realized that le Fougueux isn't the first class 9 ship of Oleon, we have also the superb le Monarque built by KB last year.

Fear spreads across the Brick seas :wacko:

Such a beauty, the rigging and front view are just jaw-dropping!! Awesome work and a big inspiration for me!

1 hour ago, Professor Thaum said:

Wooow ! a wonderful one !!

What a ship... with full rigging !

A masterpiece for sure !

Is it possible to have pics from interior ? (if suitable... )

Thanks Thaum. Unfortunately I haven't got time to build a interior yet, I wanted to get her ready for this MRCA but as you see, I failed.:grin: I'll take some pics when the interior is done.

1 hour ago, Ross Fisher said:

What a monster!

And a heavy one, literally, she's very heavy.:pir_tong2:

55 minutes ago, Fraunces said:

Fear spreads across the Brick seas :wacko:

Such a beauty, the rigging and front view are just jaw-dropping!! Awesome work and a big inspiration for me!

Fear not, we are at peace with the citizen of the noble nation of Searats.

And looking forward to your ship too.

16 minutes ago, Kwatchi said:

Wow!  That is an impressive sight!  A huge "well done" to you.

Thank you Kwatchi, glad you like it.:classic:

18 hours ago, Faladrin said:

Wow ! Impressive vessel !

A true masterpiece !

Magnifique ! Bravo ! 

Thank you Faladrin, long time no see!

18 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Truly a beautiful ship! Puts my class 10s to shame with all those gorgeous details and custom rigging!

Thank you LM.

17 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Stunning! Words fail me. I rate it 5 out of 5 monkeys! :monkey: :monkey: :monkey: :monkey: :monkey:

Thank you Capt Wolf, are you sure there are 5 monkeys? Or 6, I can't tell.:pir-grin:

A toast to the mighty Oleon fleet! Thanks for building this jewel Bodi!

Edited by blackdeathgr

5 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

A toast to the mighty Oleon fleet! Thanks for building this jewel Bodi!

And a toast to the King! Glad you like it, BD.

This ship is a true masterpiece! It’s huge but, at the same time, details are not sacrificed to size! Thumbs up for the rigging too.

Go and send pirates to the bottom of the sea!!! 

14 hours ago, Keymonus said:

This ship is a true masterpiece! It’s huge but, at the same time, details are not sacrificed to size! Thumbs up for the rigging too.

Go and send pirates to the bottom of the sea!!! 

Thank you Keymonus.:classic:

6 hours ago, Spud The Viking said:

A most fearsome and excellent vessel, sir! 

Superb details from the sails/rigging to the shape of the ship. Great craftsmanship!

Thank you, sir. Getting the right shape of the ship was in fact the trickiest part,  in comparison, sails and rigging  were easier to do.

23 hours ago, BrickLdeas said:

looks amazing love it.

Thank you, glad you love it.

Wow ... This turned out quite well true OL flair to her as well the colors work well together.  All the detail keeps the eyes busy.   Make sure to use two hands when transporting lol

Wow, such a nice ship. I really like, that more and more non-prefab hull ship of the lines are launched. Also I have to admit there are some really nice solutions here in the forum for smaller ships of the line not looking to narrow and high on prefab hulls.

The colours are a classic. I like, that you added a second layer of red plates for the interior hull colour. And I envy these beige masts a bit:D When I was purchsing bricks, I could only get my hand on yellow ones in a sufficient amount.

Don't worry about the mizzen mast. I think it looks quite well in place. A good choice therefore is the lateen sail. I think a gaff would have revealed the actual distance towards the stern.

I had a similar problem, building my 74 gun ship. I started without plans to do it as historically accurate as possible, more so, to do it mostly with classical Lego parts from my childhood, including the Lego masts. Before changing that idea, my battery decks were nearly finished, not becoming more narrow towards the stern. With the technique I used it would have been difficult to do it in a smooth way. If I had known what the ship once would become, I would have used an entirely different hull. Using hinges as the main shape giving tool, which I first wanted to reject as much as possible. Wasn't expecting to buy that much bricks for it anyways. But reworking it all after so much progress? No way. On the other hand I'm quite thankful to have such great space on the poop deck.

I hope, same goes for you. Every little "mistake" on our projects gives us motivation to once build a following version, including what we've learned. I could imagine, building a second ship of the line without getting bored:)

And maybe one day you find a solution to set the mast back a few studs, without too much effort. I had the chance to change the entire bow after years.

Even though, you decided to go with the bluecoats, I would love to see all ships like this one (black/yellow scheme) in a battle line:)

Is there a place, where I can find more pictures of that beauty?
Greetings!

On 8/24/2018 at 7:41 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

Make sure to use two hands when transporting lol

The safest way to not move it at all.:pir-grin:

@Wellesley Thank you for your detailed reply and I'm glad that you like my ship. In fact, this one we see here is the third version, it took me half a year to build it, torn apart and build again. Unfortunately I didn't much photo on it, but I still have some photos of the previous versions, maybe you'll be interested.

The first version, with the hull shaped with hinges and tumblehome built with plates, it proves to be too fragile and it was structurally impossible to build the hull higher.

15222283931_DISPLAY.jpg

The second version, with a less pronounced tumblehome, but the problem of fragility remains, so I was forced to torn it apart again and restart from zero.

15232625451_DISPLAY.jpg

The last version, I've learned from the previous failures that the "basal layer" should be build with solid bricks, and on top of that layer, I can use hinges to shape the hull. The result proved to be satisfactory, and I can lift it from the two ends of the hull without breaking it. The basal layer is made from bricks and covered by 2x2 curved tiles, as you may see on this photo of poor quality.

15342350735_DISPLAY.jpg

And I find it quite amusing that two major belligerents of the 18th century shared the same colour scheme for their warships, I mean if we look at the historical paintings, English and French ships were all painted in black and yellow, it's hard to distinguish their nationality if we don't look at their flags, ofc if you are a naval warfare expert, you may ignore this.:grin:

Thanks for the additional photos. The design of the first two just scream for a sloop, a decent little brig. Or maybe even a sixth-rate also known as post-ship in the british and corvette in the french navy. Speaking of the napoleonic era, which both our vessels wonderfully fit in. Both before 1801 I would say. At least I've chosen the flag without the Irish cross. And for you it is the latin-rig. That's why I struggle with the white stripe on my frigate, because it wasn't that common that early. Maybe beige will be the solution. Speaking of which, isn't it beige on the first version?

And with the second photo you nearly answered another question of mine I've forgotten to write above. I wanted to see your ship from a bird's-eye view:)

As far as I know, one reason for the black and yellow scheme, besides Nelson's recommendation, was just the prices for colours, black and yellow being the cheapest during that time. Also it seems, that Nelson actually recommended continuous yellow stripes, the gunports painted black only on the inside. That way you could distinguish a "friendly" vessel (striped) from one being "ready for battle" (chequered).

Greetings,
Wellesley!

Emmm, both the first and the second were in beige, I wanted to build something new, other than the commonly seen yellow and black and widely used brick-built hull. But it turned out that my little "innovations" weren't very successful.:pir-grin:

Iit's surprising to learn that they used black and yellow only to save money, especially considering the astronomical sum spent to build a Sotl. And I think it's true that white stripe wasn't common before the Napoleonic era, and on some of models it's hard to say whether that stripe was white or beige (tan), so maybe beige is a safer choice?

PS. Have you considered about joining the BoBS? We have a redcoat faction here, Corrington.:sweet:

The admiralty always tried to minimise costs at all levels.
With provisions, material, officer's pay. This was not only because of the war, more so because of corruption within the admiralty and fraud.

But back to your ship: I really like the tumblehome. Just looks better the way you did it. Not becoming narrow that instantly beneath the first battery deck.

34766796390_40425eccf6_n.jpg

I built this out of imagination and didn't cross-check it. But hey, were there not that many points to enhance, I would not have the motivation to build another ship of the line:)