Sign in to follow this  
ZlatanXVIGustaf

Troll Castle

Sand blue!  Great choice of landscape colors, and I also really like the dual stone colors of the castle.  Really good job integrating the shield above the entrance too.  The entire MOC is a little too "busy" maybe for my taste (heavily textured ground, walls, and stonework) but I do really like each part separately and the angles you created on the wall are seamless! :thumbup: 

Call them orcs and put it in the western foothills of the Varlyrian mountains! I like the shaping and the interesting use of colors in the landscape, but I would suggest not being so precise with the color groupings in the terrain. Color blocking is good, since it keeps it from being busy, but being too clean with it makes it look unnatural. As for the building, the blockiness of the walls and the heftiness of the look are great for the inhabitants, I must say. Good work!

Interesting landscaping, the colors break it up nicely.  The fortress looks thick and heavy like a troll fortress should be.  The texturing looks good with the trolls.  I also like the gate.  Nice job.  

A little bit courageous choice for the landscape colours, but man, this is awesome! I especially like the thick towers, and I also like the battlements: only the trolls' heads look over. This is THE defensive building!
I like the color scheme of castle, nice contrasts, and the particular structures are well distinct. The terrain is unusual, but it works once I soaked the shock. :-)
And the number of units is just enough, i like the realism of the keep, this will be truly an outpost for a few guards, unlike lego castles that throw a dozen of units into a 20x20 baseplate!
Very nice!

On 8/14/2018 at 2:34 PM, TheLordOfBricks said:

Ahhh, yes! Very nice! Great colors and texturing here! :)

Thank you!

On 8/14/2018 at 8:11 PM, Kai NRG said:

Sand blue!  Great choice of landscape colors, and I also really like the dual stone colors of the castle.  Really good job integrating the shield above the entrance too.  The entire MOC is a little too "busy" maybe for my taste (heavily textured ground, walls, and stonework) but I do really like each part separately and the angles you created on the wall are seamless! :thumbup: 

Yep, sand blue, I've always wanted to use it.:laugh: The wall angles were quite tricky to achieve but I like the outcome aswell. 

On 8/14/2018 at 8:46 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

Call them orcs and put it in the western foothills of the Varlyrian mountains! I like the shaping and the interesting use of colors in the landscape, but I would suggest not being so precise with the color groupings in the terrain. Color blocking is good, since it keeps it from being busy, but being too clean with it makes it look unnatural. As for the building, the blockiness of the walls and the heftiness of the look are great for the inhabitants, I must say. Good work!

Hmm, I guess I could have done that. I did the groupings mostly because of a lack of small sand bule and dark tan plates and I also wanted to avoid making a jumbled mess, there is a very fine line between a nice mix and a mess.:laugh: I was going for a "fort" look. Thanks!

On 8/15/2018 at 4:39 AM, zoth33 said:

Interesting landscaping, the colors break it up nicely.  The fortress looks thick and heavy like a troll fortress should be.  The texturing looks good with the trolls.  I also like the gate.  Nice job.  

Thank you very much!

13 hours ago, Aine said:

A little bit courageous choice for the landscape colours, but man, this is awesome! I especially like the thick towers, and I also like the battlements: only the trolls' heads look over. This is THE defensive building!
I like the color scheme of castle, nice contrasts, and the particular structures are well distinct. The terrain is unusual, but it works once I soaked the shock. :-)
And the number of units is just enough, i like the realism of the keep, this will be truly an outpost for a few guards, unlike lego castles that throw a dozen of units into a 20x20 baseplate!
Very nice!

Hehe, thanks! The light and dark gray are supposed to be different types of stone, one better for the battlements and the other being better for the walls. 

It's a very beautiful little castle! I like it how you achieved this wall angles with the transition of the walk on the walls.
A castle in this size can be displayed much longer then taller MOCs.

I like your roofing of the little house in the inside of the castle :)

42915481475_30c3f75754_b.jpg

Wow, only just now saw this, superb!  Obviously the rough wall techniques are top notch, but I am loving that terrain most of all.  I would not have thought that sand blue would work out so well, but there it is, lovely!

It makes me think of some warhammer greenskin keep. The colors fit very well and the texturing is great... maybe even too great for my taste. I mean with all those rocks sticking outside the wall it looks a bit like if they couldn't build it straight...

14 hours ago, jakbar said:

I mean with all those rocks sticking outside the wall it looks a bit like if they couldn't build it straight...

They're trolls, after all! They can't build straight!  :laugh:

Edited by Aine