On 2/19/2020 at 9:54 AM, kevin8 said:

Anyone knows if it's possible to get a classic space background, like the one used by Lego itself on the box cover during 1979-mid eighties? I would like to print it and put beside my classic space diorama.

I got this Star Wars inspired background from Bakku Backgrounds. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074YLFWZY/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=bakkubackgrou-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B074YLFWZY&linkId=b4b3d0780bd8a29f39fb8f0f8e96c33d

Mine is now behind my expanded space scene, though not folded as per instructions. 

spacescene06.jpg

I made something like this by taking photos of the crater baseplates, combining in photoshop and than colorizing in yellow. I will post the result.

Thank you @leafan! I do own all the Pirate sets from the late 80s and 90s also, might need to do a Pirate website next :classic:.

On 2/19/2020 at 7:11 AM, Mister Phes said:

This is a beautiful website!

On top of building the site, did you also photograph and edit all the set photos too?

Yes I did :classic:

On 1/10/2020 at 5:38 PM, Bornin1980something said:

How did you photograph the models? In particular, how did you recreate the old style backgrounds?

I photographed them using a light box using a black backdrop. I recreated them as close as I could using photoshop. I also recreated the Logos since I could not find high-res versions online. 

Fantastic resource. Def appreciate the work you put into it, and the presentation is perfectly evocative of the original sets. Bookmarked into my faves. Thanks!

9 minutes ago, RosehipDeity said:

Where did you get the high-quality renders of the theme logos?

He says it here: :classic:

On 3/24/2020 at 6:11 AM, diegobaca said:

I photographed them using a light box using a black backdrop. I recreated them as close as I could using photoshop. I also recreated the Logos since I could not find high-res versions online. 

On 3/23/2020 at 11:11 PM, diegobaca said:

I also recreated the Logos since I could not find high-res versions online. 

Interesting, they're are surprisingly accurate for being recreations.

This is a great reference site with nice photos of all the old sets.  

Space was my favorite LEGO theme from the early 1980's through the mid-1990's.  I lost interest after Spyrius and Unitron, because the designs from the Exploriens through Insectoid themes just didn't resonate with me.  It wasn't until Star Justice and Space Police III, almost 15 years later, that I regained interest in Space.  

On 6/11/2020 at 9:29 AM, RosehipDeity said:

Interesting, they're are surprisingly accurate for being recreations.

I am a graphic designer so I do that sort of thing for a living. They still took quite a bit of time to get just right. Thank you for the praise!

Fantastic site. It's like Technicopedia for classic space. I like how you took the descriptions of themes from the boxes, catalogs and other sources. It might be possible to get the descriptions of some individual sets as well, from the larger shop at home catalogs at the time.