Sign in to follow this  
gmshades

[HELP] Who wants to build an International?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to see if anyone wants a challenge. I want to build an 2009 International flatbed truck. My problem is I am great with functions, but I stink at looks. I drive this truck for work, making deliveries of steel to the job sites.

Here is a picture of the same model truck I drive for work:

1.jpg

What I need: The hood, grill, bumper, cab design.

Scale: I want it to be to scale with the 42009 mobile crane using the same wheels. I plan on making the bed either 19 or 21 studs wide.

Design: I would love it to be mostly Technic. A similar design like the 42078 Mack Anthem truck, but I'm open to anything.

So, who wants to accept my challenge? I know sometimes people want a direction for their next project, so maybe this is the boost you need.

Glenn

19 or 21 studs wide would be much too wide for the scale you're aiming for. I could be wrong but the 42009 is only 17 wide. I dont see the bed needing to be much wider than the truck.

Arocs and 42009 are 19 wide. The chassis is the point to measure and not the to narrow body.

When I first saw this post, I thought the International in question was the Transtar truck like the one in The Terminator:laugh:

Seriously though, this looks like a meaty project. I'm thinking large angled white panels, like the ones on the hood in 42077, would give the nose its shape.

An American truck is usually wider than European trucks. My rule of thumb is that a European local truck is about 2.3 meters, a European 40t semi is about 2.5 meters, and American Trucks are about 100 inches = 2.7 meters wide.

The Lego truck 8285 Tow Truck (American) is 19 studs wide, the 8258 Crane Truck is 17 studs wide. With that I believe 19 Studs is the best size for your International truck.

I can't wait to see your finished model, I was wondering myself how to build that truck cabin, as these trucks are everywhere in the U.S. 

At this point, I would be happy with either lol. I only said 19 because that's what covers the dually wheels on most trucks I have.