Sign in to follow this  
ZlatanXVIGustaf

The Busy Streets of Ostia

Wohoo, my first Varlyrio moc! I am completely foreign to this style but I really enjoyed it!

Ostia, an east coast city that is an important part of the Varlyrian trading. Streets are busy as usual, things are getting dilivered and the bakers apprentice is sent out to pick up a new delivery of grains.

43969646372_9e27a7b209_b.jpg

44018314341_fff1ba6a68_b.jpg

44018315041_a9436fc441_b.jpg

Luca di Carlo on his morning stroll. (Ostian city guard in the background. I pretty much ripped of Ecc's design.) 

44018315611_0a9fd13254_b.jpg

This is heavily inspired by Jonas Kramm's Venice 1486. The blue building is quite mediocre in my eyes, it's just not a lot happening however I am satisfied with how the other buildings came out. Please let me know what you think, I'd love some critisism!

Edited by ZlatanXVIGustaf

Oh yes! This is wonderful! Awesome to see an great early Varlyrian build! As you said, the blue building is a little plain, but I still really like it's roof. :) Overall, looks a lot like Jonas's Venice style, but also your own input and style in it as well! Love that little pretzel sign too. :)

Excellent build and a lot of inspiration for my next one which is going to be similar in some ways. I especially like the little touches: awnings, arches, and especially that lamp fitting with the hand piece (inspired!).

Really nice build overall, and I particularly like the techniques you used for the exposed bits of brick on the buildings.  Lots of character for such relatively small buildings.  :classic:

Yay, starting to see some Varlyrian builds!  Great work, I love the stonework especially the round section at the corner with the plant!  Personally I quite like the blue building too, nice use of the ingots.  The dark flesh building is great too, especially the pillars around the archway!  And not to leave the dark tan building out, although it gets a little lost back there the microfig is a neat touch!

I actually like all the buildings.  The weathered look you gave them is a nice touch.  I like little details on each building, the windows, arches etc.  The stone streets are nice.  Very good little scene.  

Great work man, this is pretty much what I was planning for my first build too. Same style as well. Great docs and buildings, I love the white highlights on the blue buildings :thumbup:

Great start to the new style! I like how much details you have managed to fit in the limited footprint, without looking too cramped :classic: 

My favorite part is the brick building to the left.

Nice start. Like the portal in the background. Overall a nice composition.

For not being familiar with this style, you pulled it off amazingly :grin_wub:

There are so many things I like in this (rather small) build, but I'll try to summarise a few: an excellent colour scheme, the bakery in general but with a special mention to the gabbles and the sign, the quay (a very big thumbup for the seemingly wet stones, excellent use of different shades of grey) (and another thumbup for it's corner, the round plant trough works great), the dark tan wall at an angle, the round tiles over the gate, the ... you want me to go on? :wink: 

Excellent build in Varlyrio, ZG! You have nailed the Venice look, and I could immediately feel the influence of Jonas Kramm's build. You have some great things going on here, like the roof texture on the blue building, the brickwork on both front buildings, and the street-level door on the tan-trimmed building with the inset glass. But perhaps my favorite detail is the basement window in the blue house, so easily overlooked but so lovely to behold. Great work, and I hope you can build this thing up to a full city!

Wow Zlatan! A really great looking moc! The bakery with it´s colourscheme, the sign and the balcony is the favourite on this one! 

A Varlyrian build, woot! :grin:  Can't wait to keep seeing these rolling in!  Love the variation in the wet line on the dock, and as others have mentioned, those signs are great!  Nice place for that plant right on the corner as well!

On 8/13/2018 at 9:58 PM, TheLordOfBricks said:

Oh yes! This is wonderful! Awesome to see an great early Varlyrian build! As you said, the blue building is a little plain, but I still really like it's roof. :) Overall, looks a lot like Jonas's Venice style, but also your own input and style in it as well! Love that little pretzel sign too. :)

Thanks! The fact that it looks like Jonas's style is enough of a compliment:sweet:

On 8/14/2018 at 1:04 AM, mccoyed said:

Excellent build and a lot of inspiration for my next one which is going to be similar in some ways. I especially like the little touches: awnings, arches, and especially that lamp fitting with the hand piece (inspired!).

Thank you, I'm glad it inspires you and I'm looking forward to seeing some builds from you!

On 8/14/2018 at 2:24 AM, deraven said:

Really nice build overall, and I particularly like the techniques you used for the exposed bits of brick on the buildings.  Lots of character for such relatively small buildings.  :classic:

Thanks!

On 8/14/2018 at 2:59 AM, Kai NRG said:

Yay, starting to see some Varlyrian builds!  Great work, I love the stonework especially the round section at the corner with the plant!  Personally I quite like the blue building too, nice use of the ingots.  The dark flesh building is great too, especially the pillars around the archway!  And not to leave the dark tan building out, although it gets a little lost back there the microfig is a neat touch!

Thanks! Im glad the stonework corner as it was quite dificult to connect the 1x1 tiles in that way. 

On 8/14/2018 at 4:32 AM, zoth33 said:

I actually like all the buildings.  The weathered look you gave them is a nice touch.  I like little details on each building, the windows, arches etc.  The stone streets are nice.  Very good little scene.  

Thank you very much!

On 8/14/2018 at 5:42 AM, The Maestro said:

Great work man, this is pretty much what I was planning for my first build too. Same style as well. Great docs and buildings, I love the white highlights on the blue buildings :thumbup:

I'm very much looking forward to seeing your first build!

On 8/14/2018 at 8:10 AM, Gideon said:

Great start to the new style! I like how much details you have managed to fit in the limited footprint, without looking too cramped :classic: 

My favorite part is the brick building to the left.

Thanks!

On 8/14/2018 at 1:17 PM, dalle said:

Nice start. Like the portal in the background. Overall a nice composition.

Thanks! And welcome to GoH!

On 8/14/2018 at 1:52 PM, TitusV said:

For not being familiar with this style, you pulled it off amazingly :grin_wub:

There are so many things I like in this (rather small) build, but I'll try to summarise a few: an excellent colour scheme, the bakery in general but with a special mention to the gabbles and the sign, the quay (a very big thumbup for the seemingly wet stones, excellent use of different shades of grey) (and another thumbup for it's corner, the round plant trough works great), the dark tan wall at an angle, the round tiles over the gate, the ... you want me to go on? :wink: 

Wow that's a lot of compliments! Thank you!

17 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Excellent build in Varlyrio, ZG! You have nailed the Venice look, and I could immediately feel the influence of Jonas Kramm's build. You have some great things going on here, like the roof texture on the blue building, the brickwork on both front buildings, and the street-level door on the tan-trimmed building with the inset glass. But perhaps my favorite detail is the basement window in the blue house, so easily overlooked but so lovely to behold. Great work, and I hope you can build this thing up to a full city!

Thanks! Now that you've said it, that basement window really does a lot, it would have looked terrible with just dark grey tiles there. Me and TM are going collaborate on building Ostia, hopefully to a city.

15 hours ago, de Gothia said:

Wow Zlatan! A really great looking moc! The bakery with it´s colourscheme, the sign and the balcony is the favourite on this one! 

Thanks! The balcony is one of my favourite parts aswell.

14 hours ago, Garmadon said:

A Varlyrian build, woot! :grin:  Can't wait to keep seeing these rolling in!  Love the variation in the wet line on the dock, and as others have mentioned, those signs are great!  Nice place for that plant right on the corner as well!

Thanks! And yes, they will keep coming!

:wub::wub: So glad that Varlyrio got opened up so we see more builds like this! Wonderful use of color, and the whole scene looks very lively. Great touch with the dark tan wall/gateway just visible in the background :thumbup:
And the rounded corner to the canal wall is top notch!

This is a fantastic MOC.  I really like how compact it is--shows what can be achieved without a giant collection!  Great attention to detail throughout and the angled section in the back forming a walkway adds a lot of visual depth. :thumbup:

I think the hardest thing about building in Varlyrio is going to be keeping the building styles as medieval-ish as possible.  A squad of redcoats wouldn't look out of place in this MOC at all, I think it's probably the blue building that really gives off almost an age of sail feeling.

Great build!  I like how it captures the Mediterranean architecture style without looking too reniassance-forward.  I also like how you kept some clean lines but made the buildings look aged without looking uncared for.  The sign with the pretzel is also great!  I'm a little concerned the door to the bakery isn't tall enough for the baker, but some of those old buildings were pretty small.

On 8/17/2018 at 8:00 PM, soccerkid6 said:

:wub::wub: So glad that Varlyrio got opened up so we see more builds like this! Wonderful use of color, and the whole scene looks very lively. Great touch with the dark tan wall/gateway just visible in the background :thumbup:
And the rounded corner to the canal wall is top notch!

Thanks! I'm glad you like the corner.

On 8/18/2018 at 2:55 AM, mrcp6d said:

This is a fantastic MOC.  I really like how compact it is--shows what can be achieved without a giant collection!  Great attention to detail throughout and the angled section in the back forming a walkway adds a lot of visual depth. :thumbup:

I think the hardest thing about building in Varlyrio is going to be keeping the building styles as medieval-ish as possible.  A squad of redcoats wouldn't look out of place in this MOC at all, I think it's probably the blue building that really gives off almost an age of sail feeling.

Thank you! I agree with you, red coats definetly wouldn't look out of place but I think it gets a pass since this is historica:laugh:

On 8/18/2018 at 4:25 AM, Grover said:

Great build!  I like how it captures the Mediterranean architecture style without looking too reniassance-forward.  I also like how you kept some clean lines but made the buildings look aged without looking uncared for.  The sign with the pretzel is also great!  I'm a little concerned the door to the bakery isn't tall enough for the baker, but some of those old buildings were pretty small.

Thanks Grover! You are right about the archway to the bakery, they will knock their head:wink:

I love the colors used here.  The orange and blue contrast really well, and I really like the rooftop of the blue building.  The worn walls on the orange building are well done, and the white details on the blue building are well placed.  I love all of the plants, and I love how the stone was done to imply a water line.  I also love how the structure in the back is angled and almost hidden behind the foreground, and I like how the stone streets were done.

Great stuff!