If one was so inclined they could wrap the tire with some vinyl or electrical tape. Depending on how wide the tape is compared to the tread width, you should be able to tune it to get just the right amount of traction. Many would consider this to be totally unacceptable though and would likely blast anyone that would even think of actually doing it. 

I have already made drift cars, and the best tires are these ones:

42055-Bucket-Wheel-Excavator-3_large.jpg

If you have never seen my gymkhanas, look at them and see what's possible:

With these tires, you must make small MOCs, so you can have a lot of power for a little weight, so that helps to have a nervous vehicle. And the shape of the tires helps, you have enough grip to control the car, but they slip if the power is sufficient. With these tires, you don't need to use tape or anything else on the tires; make a good chassis and drift! :classic: (But that needs a lot of development, around 6 months of work and lots and lots of modifications for the last one! ^^)

4 hours ago, Anto said:

42055-Bucket-Wheel-Excavator-3_large.jpg

You mean the 49.5x20 ones? Those ones have a lot of grip, especially with heavy models, I would do what @Leonardo da Bricki said and use balloon tires, like the small and big balloon tires.

49.5x20 tires are better than balloon, I think because smaller ones can accelerate and spin faster. From the scientific point of view, the best tires for drift are those with the smallest contact area and those with hardest tire. But for a example motorcycle tires have big radius and this can easly bend axles when car turns. I recommend you smaller ones. :)

Yes you right but this tire ale very soft and can easly adapt to the road, especially on turns. When 49.5x20 on turns sometimes bend little axle (rather than tire like 56x26) and make contact only with edges. :)

9 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

The same could be said for quoting pictures. 

On the other hand he might have just wanted to emphasize his point. Which should be okay. :classic:

Edited by Magical Duck

If you want to minimize contact, I'd pick either the rare tyres from 8462/8248, or motorcycle tyres. I can remember set 8420, the red Street Bike, had almost profile-less tyres. There must have been a more recent bike with smooth tyres. Edit: 42036. /edit These might have really low contact area. Because of the thinner shape, they were also a lot harder than most car tyres, which means they give very little, so their contact area stays small. 8462 tyres are also harder, but that is because they are not hollow. But, as I said, those are out of production, so I don't know if you want that.

Edited by Erik Leppen

Do you thing these wheels can be used ?
56145c01.png
or have they to much surface on the ground ? 
(it's Black Tire 43.2 x 22 )

They are kind of soft, so rather grippy. A layer of clear tape or camber change would help.

I just found this topic so I built a drift-ish chassis to test different wheels.

Please take note that it was built for the 49.5x20 tires, that it has suspension, that it uses L motors and that I only changed the rear wheels as there is no room for any other size for the front wheels.

Here are the results, going from worst to best:

68.8x36 (rally car): these barely fit my chassis and couldn't go into a drift. I suspect that they would go into a drift on a bigger chassis, maybe if buggy motors would be used

62.4x20 (arocs): I was able to pull a drift on a very slippery surface and it didn't last long. Maybe on a slightly bigger stiff chassis with no suspension you could have some fun with these.

43.2x22: these pretty much were able to loose traction and if you wouldn't use suspension and you would get all the weight on the front wheels (e.g. race truck) you would be able to do some pretty good drifts.

68.7x34 balloon: i didn't have any hope for these but they actually went into a pretty decent drift, altough the suspension and rear placement of the buwizz (fast mode not ldrcs) made it hard to keep a donut longer than about 2-3 spins as the back would start jumping around. not sure if they would go so well on a bigger chassis.

56x26 balloon: I had a bit of hope for these and they pretty much worked the same as the 68.7x34 balloon. the problem with balloon tires is that if the car rolls too much on one side the side knobs would kick in and make the car jump around. You would normally add suspension but that doesn't quite do the trick as the suspension would bounce around even more. If you have no other alternative go with these, maybe add caster and no suspension and have fun!

49.5x20: Drifts and donuts are totally possible, the suspension rarely makes the car jump, only when tires get to a lower rpm or get into something really grippy/pothole.

I hope I've been helpful!

On 8/14/2018 at 4:39 PM, Anto said:

If you have never seen my gymkhanas, look at them and see what's possible:

With these tires, you must make small MOCs, so you can have a lot of power for a little weight, so that helps to have a nervous vehicle. And the shape of the tires helps, you have enough grip to control the car, but they slip if the power is sufficient. With these tires, you don't need to use tape or anything else on the tires; make a good chassis and drift! :classic: (But that needs a lot of development, around 6 months of work and lots and lots of modifications for the last one! ^^)

What wheels are they?

On 8/15/2018 at 8:04 AM, RohanBeckett said:

I've always found these the best:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=44777&idColor=11#T=C&C=11

Since they came with the RC cars, were designed for drifting, and are solid, hard plastic! :)

This is useful for me I'm trying to make a rc drift car with the McLaren Senna GTR

Edited by Milan
Please do not quote the entire block of pictures.

I never tried balloons, but I must add that 49.5's rubber is "stickier" than 43.2's - a test car with these tires can climb further on an inclined clear flat surface (a plastic sheet).
However, they also attract all dust and sand pieces around much faster...

So, they (49.5) have a better "start grip" but then lose it very fast and start drifting.
Meanwhile, 43.2 are equally "average" during the start, while they are clean and sticky, and later, when they are already full of dust particles.