Chilli

Does having two motors working together increase their performance?

If you gear up 2 L motors they will have the speed of 1 L geared up and the torque or two so it is good :)

**same for gear down

*****If you gear 1 motor up it will have the speed X and if you add another one X stays the same. 

3 minutes ago, IA creations said:

If you gear up 2 L motors they will have the speed of 1 L geared up and the torque or two so it is good :)

**same for gear down

*****If you gear 1 motor up it will have the speed X and if you add another one X stays the same. 

So, if I wanna get more speed, just use the right gear combo from the two motors to speed it up, right?

Hard-coupling two motors will theoretically double the torque but not the speed. The only time you'll see an increase in speed is if a single motor struggles to overcome the friction in the drivetrain.

i know people have done a lot of work in this area so they'll know the answer to what i'm about to say... if torque describes a single rpm, and power is torque over time. two motors delivering more torque should mean you can gear up for more speed and reduce the torque back to single motor levels, as power presumably remains the same. Its only torque and time you're adjusting?

The only way to get higher speed (RPM) on any Lego Pf motor or any DC brushed motors is to increase the voltage up to 10 volts!! or higher.. I personally done a 12 volt mod and i was able to get a good increase of speed. There are also mods of using two Lego battery packs to get 18 volts!!   Remember that if you overage voltage your motors you are increasing the wear of the motors!!  

Edited by sirslayer
grammar

I noticed that coupling 2 l motors (on example of Madoca's Baja Trophy Truck) on low rpm gives a slight chewing effect on gears until you give it full power or close.

As well as be careful with pairing XLs. Without gear reduction they tend to bend everything in its way.

Not necessarily faster but you will have more power to overcome friction and or resistance to achieve top speed more quickly. 

Can two motors be controlled with one channel on a regular IR-Receiver (V1)? I have the Rock Crawler with the V2, but that receiver is difficult to get.

Hello, i would like to give some information in this topic, one thing we should take into account besides torque (or force) and RPM ( or speed) is power, power is the product of force and speed multiplied, we could say this is the maximum speed at which a maximum force can be applied, there are also limiting factors like peak speed and peak force, one way to imagine this whole thing is like a person is pulling a rope to lift an object, if the object is too heavy and the person can't lift it, it means it's beyond the peak force of the person, and if the object is too light, the person may have plenty of strength and will be able to lift it without a problem, but there will be a point in which he won't be able to lift it faster, even with the object being so light, the body of the person can't produce enough speed and this would be the peak speed, so the peaks are also important, this is why power is so crucial, force and speed can change drastically, but as long as they change proportionally inverted to each other the power will be the same, gears, levers and pulleys are examples of this, you can sacrifice speed in order to get more force or sacrifice force to get more speed, this is why power can mean a lot more than only speed or only force, you can get a very big force or very high speed with a fixed power, but this power is what determines how much of both you can achieve at the same time, the maximum or peak power would be the point in which you are using all of your force and all of your speed and can't increase any of the two even when you are not at their peaks, in the previous example , it would be the point where you are lifting the heaviest object at the maximum speed you can, that's your peak power.

Now we know power is important, let's focus on the question, what happens if we add a second motor? if we assume that the second motor has the same speed and force (and hence the same power) of the first motor, and if it's coupled to that one directly without any change in the speed, then we should have twice the power, right?, not necessarily because that will be determined by the whole system, if the first motor was running with no stress but at its peak speed, this means it wasn't producing its maximum power, and if we add the second motor and there is still no stress or force produced, then the speed will be basically the same, the maximum speed the motor design allows but the power hasn't doubled, and you can stack an infinite quantity, of motors in the same manner and they won't increase the speed, however, once we start to make the motors apply a force, and if we achieve the peak power, then at this point adding more motors will increase the power proportionally, so, asking your question, if you add a more motors they will increase the power as long as they are running within their peak torques and speeds, if you have a car with 1 motor going uphill and its producing both peak power and peak torque, adding a second motor should theoretically double the speed, i hope this results useful, i will keep reading about this matter to make sure it is all correct and to give a better explanation if possible.