Sign in to follow this  
PorkyMonster

Speed Limit of Lego (68.8mm wheels, regardless of motor)

Chanced upon this video while browsing youtube just now... I'm not in any way promoting the use of 3rd party parts (:tongue:) here (it's individuals' tastes after all), but I thought this video pretty much gives a rough gauge to all of us what pure Lego, when combined with brushless motor (i.e. no lubrication, no bearings, no other metallic 3rd party hobby-grade RC structural/mechanical components), can do... how Lego parts (especially differentials and universal joints) survived at such speed, for a roughly 1 kg model (my own model weighs 3 kg and if I accelerate it hard, the rear-front-middle differential and universal joints will complain)... and the control range to be expected using rc-grade transmitter/receiver.

and if the speed claimed is accurate, the 68.8 mm wheels would have to be spinning at close to 6k rpm - depending on weather conditions this is probably the top limit before Lego axles melts (this limit will go down the heavier the model is).

hummmm.. 150 watts and a small lipo battery??  I guess he ain't using the full potential of the motor??  a friend of mine just gave me a Rick's Pick motor!!   and it fits inside a Lego XL motor case!!   but first I need to find out more about this Rick's pick motor!!   

20180812_22412020180812_224325

3 hours ago, sirslayer said:

hummmm.. 150 watts and a small lipo battery??  I guess he ain't using the full potential of the motor??  a friend of mine just gave me a Rick's Pick motor!!   and it fits inside a Lego XL motor case!!   but first I need to find out more about this Rick's pick motor!!   

Nah... can't conclude whether he has used the full potential of his motor without the KV figure and the Lego gears he used in the entire drive train. 

Your motor looks OLD... and should be brushed... and if it fits well within Lego's XL motor casing, i would say just go ahead and hook up and test... after all most motors can take higher voltages than what Lego battery box can supply.

Edited by PorkyMonster