Sign in to follow this  
Grrr

Planning 12v Layout for LUG display

So I'm planning to display a layout for a LUG display soon, and my ambition is to have four 12v trains and a few other trains running concurrently on 12v tracks. As this is a display, I'd like them to just run without micro management, which is a bit different from what I'd do at home where I'd be using the remotes and careful timing to route them to different parts of town and avoid crashes/etc.

My question therefore is; for those of you who do such layouts, how would you recommend setting things up to make the whole lot run without having to continuously monitor it to ensure nothing goes awry? 

I'm somewhat inclined to set up several distinct circuits each and power/control each seperately, but will it be dull for viewers if several trains are simply doing basic loops without really interacting with one another?

I have ample 12v track, 3 transformers, and would run the 9v trains on PF motors for the day. The only thing I'm really short on is Signals (I only have three to stop trains).

Unless you go full out automation i dont see you getting away from constant monitoring ... Ive seen large layouts with only two trains running have issues that you need to interveine 

However running 12v you can use block sensors and DCC control from the non lego scale model trains ... Theres several good posts on here about DCC in lego trains 

The challenge with 12v layouts, as I’m sure you know, is the wiring. The only time I did a show I had a layout I built in 4 sections with all the wiring and remote switches for each section built in, I only needed to connect the 4 sections and transformers and was ready to go. That layout had 2 levels with two 12v loops and one 9v loop on each level. The two 12v loops were connected via switches/points but on the day I never swapped trains from one track to the other, people werehappy enough seeing trains passing each their on 3 distinct circuits. 

If you are only using three transformers and three signals the wiring shouldn’t be too much of an issue. 

I would have three separate 12V circuits.

On one circuit I would have a passing loop with a pair of signals - you could then run two 12V trains and swap them when you want.

On the second circuit I would have a passing loop with the third signal, you could then run a 12V train and stop it in the loop then a PF train(s) could then run.

On the third circuit just have a 12V train running.

If you have spare track and PF trains they could run them on a fourth circuit.

I think it's best to keep them separate and have trains running. If you have a 90 crossing you could have a figure of eight track layout - that looks exciting.

You do not have to have all four 12V trains on the track at any one time - you could keep one  off the running tack and swap it around as required.  

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 5:28 AM, Dav1d said:

I would have three separate 12V circuits.

On one circuit I would have a passing loop with a pair of signals - you could then run two 12V trains and swap them when you want.

On the second circuit I would have a passing loop with the third signal, you could then run a 12V train and stop it in the loop then a PF train(s) could then run.

On the third circuit just have a 12V train running.

If you have spare track and PF trains they could run them on a fourth circuit.

I think it's best to keep them separate and have trains running. If you have a 90 crossing you could have a figure of eight track layout - that looks exciting.

You do not have to have all four 12V trains on the track at any one time - you could keep one  off the running tack and swap it around as required.  

Thank you - this is the conclusion that I was starting to come to myself and you've helped cement my thinking.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:28 PM, Dav1d said:

I realised the with above circuit - that a single signal on it's own is not very useful - you just need to turn the power off. You really need two or more signals on the same circuit. Everyone says how good the 12V system was but the 9V system where switching the points cut off the power was a better method of control - you could easily stop trains in sidings or passing loops. I suppose the PF & P-UP are probably better as they control the train rather than the track.