Bricksnaps

(MOC) The Elvan Seaport of Elvadion

So I want to share my latest creation that I took up to Brickfair Virginia a week ago.

It is my first real castle/fantasy build and will probably be divisive with some for the use of the Elves mini dolls, but I am okay with that :) Every time I build I try to do something that involves my kids and with a 9 year old daughter, her fascination with the Elves line led to building this. 

The idea is that this is a sea port where Elves from different kingdoms come and trade goods for Dragon eggs, which they return home with. we have the floating islands which serve as a nesting ground and other rooms, a main castle that has been reclaimed and is in the process of being remodeled and then an island that has a few buildings in it. Some of the figures themselves have been merged with Lego mini figure pieces and capes and hair to soften the cartoon look of the mini dolls. 

I hope you enjoy, it was a one and done at the show and I am in the process of disassembling most of the build so I can finally work on sorting my lego room...so that I can build a big castle next :)

30056160578_e9cc339a90_b.jpgThe Elvan Seaport of Elvadion by Martin Harris, on Flickr

28973363827_d25cbdd1d6_b.jpgThe Elvan sea port of Elvadion by Martin Harris, on Flickr

28973340207_4acc1d6d78_b.jpgThe Elvan sea port of Elvadion by Martin Harris, on Flickr

Edited by Stillinamerica

I first saw this last night over on The Brothers Brick, and immediately shared it over on the 2018 Elves set discussion topic. It really is one heck of a stunner. :thumbup: :oh:

This is very impressive.  I like your roof technique and the texturing of the build.  The landscape is nicely done.  I really like the big tree.  Those gazebo like buildings in the water are fantastic.  I can't wait to see what castle you will build.  

The reversed roof build is so simple, yet really stands out in this build.  Not that there aren't a few other things that stand out.  Sorry I couldn't make it to Brickfair this year to see everything, including this.  I need to go fave one of these shots on Flickr right now.  Thanks for sharing!

Wow, that is simply stunning.  I think the mini-dolls actually look fine with it.  What would have been weird is if you had had mini-dolls and minifigures lol.  But I like the use of minfigure accessories on the dolls.  Overall I am just in awe of the whole thing, it's beautiful.

On 8/14/2018 at 9:29 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Congratulations @Stillinamerica for having this beauty of yours frontpaged! :sweet:

Thanks mate that was a lovely surprise today when I logged in :)

On 8/14/2018 at 1:40 AM, Phyre said:

Wow, that is simply stunning.  I think the mini-dolls actually look fine with it.  What would have been weird is if you had had mini-dolls and minifigures lol.  But I like the use of minfigure accessories on the dolls.  Overall I am just in awe of the whole thing, it's beautiful.

Cheers yeah there was no merging the two. Almost did though ? I hadn’t decide which figs to use until I got to Brickfair.

On 8/11/2018 at 9:25 PM, Stash2Sixx said:

The reversed roof build is so simple, yet really stands out in this build.  Not that there aren't a few other things that stand out.  Sorry I couldn't make it to Brickfair this year to see everything, including this.  I need to go fave one of these shots on Flickr right now.  Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, it was a good show. I really thought I was being lazy with the roof that way but tons of people liked it, there is something cool about the way they are supported/hang also, I think I show it in the Beyond the Brick video they did 

1 hour ago, Stillinamerica said:

Thanks, it was a good show. I really thought I was being lazy with the roof that way but tons of people liked it, there is something cool about the way they are supported/hang also, I think I show it in the Beyond the Brick video they did 

It's not really laziness if there aren't a whole lot of others using it as a technique.  I saw it once somewhere else, but couldn't tell you where; it was years ago.  I'll have to find the video and take a look, thanks for the info!

My 4 year old daughter saw me looking at this, and her immediate reaction was 'I want that'. Not that far from my own thoughts. It looks really great, and I would love to see it for real.

Thanks for sharing, and thanks to those who put it on the front page.

6 hours ago, Runeman said:

My 4 year old daughter saw me looking at this, and her immediate reaction was 'I want that'. Not that far from my own thoughts. It looks really great, and I would love to see it for real.

Thanks for sharing, and thanks to those who put it on the front page.

Thanks you, I’m glad you and your daughter enjoy :) 

I have a 9 year old girl and one of my motivations for this type of build when I go to shows is to get the girls asking their parents just that. The first one we displayed at my daughter was 5 and I built a tiny Sleepin beauty moc on a baseplate. It pretty much went un noticed in amongst our Star Wars and Minecraft and knights  until about 3pm on a Sunday, a little girl turned up in front of it wearing an Auora dress and told her dad it was her fav and her dad thanked me for havin something that would interest her. Ever since then, and having a little girl also, I’ve made a point to make something that may catch her attention of a girl and maybe get their imagination going. They don’t have to be part of a ‘pink stereotype’ but theee is no denying those colours and themes initially attract girls attention and they may start looking at other ways they can use bricks and people and hopefully I can be an inspiration to their own imaginations. This was the first time I had not bought a big Star Wars build but I could not have been happier with the faces of the kids and grown ups alike :)

One of the things that I really like about this is it's not a 'pink bomb' as I like to call it.  The pink, lavender, and magenta have their places, but so many girls toy are nothing but pink.  Your use of the sand green, white, and tan does a good job appealing to a different color palette without pandering to the stereotypical (and I think somewhat artificially created) 'girl' market.  Great job!

This stunning and wonderful!!! Very intresting to see details there, espesially modifyed Elandra and elements of architecture which are very "elven"

Edited by Marishka

Great details and wonderful to see a big Elves build. Especially one that is recognisably Elves and also smoothly incorporates fastasy/historical style MOCing. 

On 8/19/2018 at 9:33 AM, Grover said:

One of the things that I really like about this is it's not a 'pink bomb' as I like to call it.  The pink, lavender, and magenta have their places, but so many girls toy are nothing but pink.  Your use of the sand green, white, and tan does a good job appealing to a different color palette without pandering to the stereotypical (and I think somewhat artificially created) 'girl' market.  Great job!

I agree with this comment about the colors. I especially like how you incorporated the violet elements into the tower turrets and contrasted them with the grey. Truly outstanding. How long did it take you to plan and build this?

13 hours ago, Legolost said:

I agree with this comment about the colors. I especially like how you incorporated the violet elements into the tower turrets and contrasted them with the grey. Truly outstanding. How long did it take you to plan and build this?

THanks, the violet in the turrets were completely intentional :) Im not much of a planer, I had built the islands first, then the turret and then the main buildings and then decided to build the castle to go with the tower and make it a castle on an island attached to the land.

On 8/25/2018 at 11:49 PM, Cara said:

Great details and wonderful to see a big Elves build. Especially one that is recognisably Elves and also smoothly incorporates fastasy/historical style MOCing. 

Thanks so much, I wanted to use the Elves line as a starter and then blend in so I am glad you see it that way.

On 8/21/2018 at 12:13 PM, Marishka said:

This stunning and wonderful!!! Very intresting to see details there, espesially modifyed Elandra and elements of architecture which are very "elven"

Thank you, I used pintrest ot try to discover some Elven architecture that was not lego made so glad that translated well.

On 8/19/2018 at 11:33 AM, Grover said:

Thank you, again, another one of my goals here and glad you can see it in the build. CHeers

1 hour ago, Stillinamerica said:

THanks, the violet in the turrets were completely intentional :) Im not much of a planer, I had built the islands first, then the turret and then the main buildings and then decided to build the castle to go with the tower and make it a castle on an island attached to the land.

Thanks so much, I wanted to use the Elves line as a starter and then blend in so I am glad you see it that way.

Thank you, I used pintrest ot try to discover some Elven architecture that was not lego made so glad that translated well.

Thank you, again, another one of my goals here and glad you can see it in the build. CHeers

Awesome!

Amazing job! It's always great to see more and more Elves mocs :D

I am amazed how good flipped roofs look!

Edited by Lordofdragonss

I really like your use of the elves.  Personally, I am quite happy to mix Elves elves with Lego people, and having the Elves just be a tall race (or races).  Please tell me, did you use an intentional mini doll specific scale here?  Or did you just sort of make it work?  I get so used to minifig scale that when we work in minidoll i get thrown, and my results in fixing it are pretty weak.