BrickJagger

Lego Dots 2020

1 hour ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Hold on, everyone. I’m looking at that jewellery stand and I think that’s a new 9x9 heart-shaped tile. Whoa, that’ll be useful. 

I thinks it's two semi-circles and a square plate, like they did for the Friends heart boxes.

1 hour ago, Kristel said:

I thinks it's two semi-circles and a square plate, like they did for the Friends heart boxes.

No, if that were the case there’d be little lines, joins visible. It looks pure. I might be wrong, but that’s how it looks to me. 

32 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:
1 hour ago, Kristel said:

No, if that were the case there’d be little lines, joins visible. It looks pure. I might be wrong, but that’s how it looks to me. 

Yeah, as strange as it seems to have a new element like that, I think Fen-huang is correct.  No joints/edges to be seen in the full-size press photo:

41905_Prod

It's definately a new plate, as the curvature on the 3 x 3 corners have flat edges , which are used in the regular Heart Boxes.

lego-plate-3-x-3-with-curved-corner-3035 

LEGO made this part in 2019 for the smaller heart box.

Edited by TeriXeri

8 minutes ago, deraven said:

Yeah, as strange as it seems to have a new element like that, I think Fen-huang is correct.  No joints/edges to be seen in the full-size press photo:

I should have looked a little closer - it definitely does look like one piece!

4 hours ago, Kristel said:

I should have looked a little closer - it definitely does look like one piece!

If you go to the instagram page posted above and look through the photos, you can see that it is made up of two large white heart plates.

1 hour ago, lowbike1 said:

you can see that it is made up of two large white heart plates.

Yes, that's what we're talking about.  2 large heart-shaped pieces vs. 4 half circles and 2 6x6 plates as was suggested above.

Are the standoffs for the jewelry hangers a new piece?  Looks like a bar with a perpendicular stud on one end?

I love how some are saying this won’t sell....because LEGO never does research & just throws things at store shelves...

I can definitely see this selling to people who make mosaics, it’s a great parts pack theme.  There’s some neat printed tiles too, some of the quarter tiles are great. 

13 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

I love how some are saying this won’t sell....because LEGO never does research & just throws things at store shelves...

I can definitely see this selling to people who make mosaics, it’s a great parts pack theme.  There’s some neat printed tiles too, some of the quarter tiles are great. 

I agree with you! It's the best parts pack I can think of next to the retired Mixels. 

As for those folks saying it won't sell -- clearly,  they are not the target market. I know a lot fathers out there who will buy this for their daughters, immediately, when DOTS is released. I can also see buying these just for the parts but the entry point for these products is cheaper than I initially thought, it may actually sell well enough to warrant multiple series or waves.

I wasn't going to, but after seeing the bracelet pictures over at Brickset, I have decided to. I love the printed tiles used. Just hope the bracelets go to adult sizes, but if not will use the tiles elsewhere.
Not sure how I feel about the Emoji ones, but will have to wait and see as to how useful they will be.

image.png.02f343f0bbd8993f96dc7930b625b1f2.png
Black lines are the same length. This logo is hilariously messed up.

I only pasted the tiles on the S to prove that they were clearly going for a tile-built look and failed with D and T.

On 1/29/2020 at 7:46 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Over at Nuremberg, @Zusammengebaut also had a chance to interview the theme's Design Director...

I really like his interviews, he's so cheery and excited about Lego with a somewhat goofy comportment. Always fun to watch.

1 hour ago, stevethesquid said:

image.png.02f343f0bbd8993f96dc7930b625b1f2.png
Black lines are the same length. This logo is hilariously messed up.

I only pasted the tiles on the S to prove that they were clearly going for a tile-built look and failed with D and T.

Or maybe, having it perfectly match what it would look like made of tiles was less important to them than the letters looking right proportionally.

I didn't notice a problem with it and I expect that would be the case for most people, who would simply notice that the colored tile shapes matched the kinds you can get in the sets.

On 1/29/2020 at 11:22 AM, sunhuntin said:

I wasn't going to, but after seeing the bracelet pictures over at Brickset, I have decided to. I love the printed tiles used. Just hope the bracelets go to adult sizes, but if not will use the tiles elsewhere.
Not sure how I feel about the Emoji ones, but will have to wait and see as to how useful they will be.

This is a concern of mine as well. I doubt it'll be a problem for me, since I have concerningly thin wrists, but people with bigger arms than mine could find it challenging. That said, we'll have to see. Especially with Lego branching out more with some sets targeting adults expressly, I can't imagine that Lego's designers wouldn't have taken that into account, especially since they'd likely be testing them out on themselves before they even started testing them with focus groups of kids!

The emoji tiles are a fun idea. They'll probably pair well with the Lego phone cases (as will the other tiles in these sets, for that matter).

Speaking of the phone cases, has anyone seen any updates to those for newer iPhones? I'm in the market to upgrade my iPhone 6 but it looks like if I went more than one generation forward the current case styles would cease to work for me. I'm hoping that some of Lego's external licensing partners might have had new ones on display at one of the Toy Fairs but I haven't heard anything yet. It's silly to hinge my purchase of a device as important as a cell phone on whether there's a case I like available for it but having to say goodbye to my Lego phone case to upgrade would be bittersweet!

Edited by Lyichir

Huh. I didn't follow the rumours so this is completely new to me. Being what seems a fairly simple mosaic-type DIY theme, I wonder how well it will sell — I suppose that will depend on how well marketing pushes the bracelet aspects and so on. I do like the profusion of new printed parts, even those with emojis! It's got the OG rainbow tile but also the 1x1 curved ones, which look very nice and colourful.

Should be fun. I look forward to seeing how the theme develops in future.